“very rude owner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kealakekua
Pineapple Park Hostel - Kona
A TripAdvisor Member
“very rude owner”
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Annie, the owner is one of the most abrupt people I have ever met. So strange to find someone so unfriendly in the hospitality business. I was already staying there and was out for the day and I had to call her about something and she hung up on me in mid-sentence!!!!!!!

She has signs everywhere with all her rules including if you put your stuff on another empty bunk bed then you will have to pay for that bed too. Signs also for 5 minute showers (though not apparently enforced .... I had longer showers). The dorm rooms do not have locks on them and no where to put bags away out of sight.

When I was there it was very quiet (the only reason I stayed for 3 nights, that and because it was cheap) however the dorm rooms are open at the ceiling and connected to the male dorm, so if you are a light sleeper with no ear plugs and there is someone noisy people next door then that may be a problem.

Shower is a wooden box-like room, nowhere to hang a towel without it gettng wet. Very strange place (but clean)

There are not many hostels in that area , next time I will splurge for a hotel. Never again at her place!

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Stayed here one night to cleanup after camping, hiking and snorkelling. The place is basic for the dorms. I didn't see the expensive private rooms, but ok if you are needing a cheap sleep like we did (and you are used to and know what the word "hostel" means). The shower is a box, but a clean box at least. I disagree with the general bad review of the previous writer - the two people we encountered were very accomodating and friendly, but they were NOT the owners.
The one encounter I DID have with the owner was similar - rude but in a funny and almost ironic way - I called the public hostel number around 8:30 or so one night because we were in a pinch and needed another night there (a bit late I know, but it was a bit of an emergency), and Annie I presume picked up the phone and promptly hung up on me without a word. Confused, I called back, and without any hesitation, she said "who the h**l are you calling me?" in the most disdainful voice and hung up on me again! I guess she didn't want our $50. I hadn't even said one word to her.
Overall, I'd rate it fair. You can also rent kayaks from them.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank sassywahine
San Diego
Reviewed November 10, 2005

A friend and I had planned to stay at Pineapple Park, Kona, so we called and spoke with Annie, the owner to ask a couple of questions about the hostel's location. Annie was extremely rude and said that she didn't "have time" to answer my questions.

I am so happy to have found out what kind of customer service they provide to their customers and how they treat people before we arrived on the island. Needless to say, we won't be staying there, and we do not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank KareninPoway

Travelers are raving about these Kealakekua hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kealakekua
Manago Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mermaid Dreams Bed and Breakfast

Been to Pineapple Park Hostel - Kona? Share your experiences!