“Barry rocks the Hawaiian spirit!”

Hawaii Pack and Paddle Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: 2012 and 2013 Certificate Of Excellence #1 kayak tour operator for Kayaks or paddle boards snorkel yourself or do a guided day tour or rental kayak or paddle board to Captain Cook Monument. Great trip--we provide snorkel gear, easy lessons, great guide, full deli lunch and free Kona coffee and treats at the historical coffee mill when we end. We also do private tours and offer 9 other exciting adventures. Large or small groups to corporate tours. Manta Ray snorkel Paddle Board Tours, Dolphin Tours, Whale Tours.
Seattle
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Barry rocks the Hawaiian spirit!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Super easy and pleasant kayak rental experience. Great prices. Quick orientation to kayaks, snorkel gear, area, and safety while Barry's helper loads gear and kayaks on our rental car. Printed map and directions led us right to easy put-in for beautiful short paddle to Captain Cook monument. Put on included fins, mask, and snorkel, attached the kayak leash and marveled at the beauty below! Huge brain corals swarmed by rainbows of fish. Fantastic experience all around. The "Above and Beyond" was after our return. Our rental car key fob died and car wouldn't start. Worried about our kayaks, we called Barry. Not only did he come get the kayaks, he brought a battery for the key fob, gave us a ride to our hotel, and we got a fantastic history of Captain Cook's landing and the Hawaiian royalty that lived, died, and were buried in that same area. Needless to say, Barry and Hawaii Pack and Paddle gets our highest recommendation and all the good Karma we can muster!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Jefferson, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Adventure, Wonderful Guides”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a lovely time with the folks at Hawaii Pack and Paddle! The kayaking/snorkeling tour was fun and informative. It was plenty of time in the water! I would definitely recommend this experience.

Visited September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Vancouver, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I wanted to rent a kayak to paddle across Kealakeua Bay and snorkel by the Captain Cook Monument. If you are a do-it-yourself type too, Bari (owner/operator) at Hawaii Pack & Paddle is the guy to see. I'm sure his tours must be great as well but we decided to do our own thing and he was happy to set us up with everything we needed. A lot of equipment rental places have you sign a form, take your credit card number and then the rest is up to you. Bari was different - It was clearly important to him that we had a great experience. He took time to provide all the information we needed with suggestions on where to go and what to expect. He gave us a safety overview and tips to make our trip successful. He provided the necessary permit and a dry bag to store our gear. He had everyting we needed to safely and securly load the kayak on top of our rental car and he helped us do it. Our trip was fantastic and all the information Bari provided was spot-on. I highly recommend Hawaii Pack & Paddle!

Boston, Massachusetts
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“If I could give more stars, I would give this 10!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was definitely the highlight of our weeklong trip to Big Island.

My husband had a fear of open water (and sharks) and was very tentative about getting in the water. We compromised by joining a tour with both kayaking (which he liked and was very good at) and snorkeling. I contacted Bari via their website and got a prompt reply via email. We also talked on the phone prior to the trip to confirm that if my husband didn't want to snorkel, he could just stay in the kayak, or try stand-up paddle board.

The shop was the meeting point (it took us about 50 minutes to go from Waikoloa to Kealakekua). It was immediately apparent that Bari was very passionate about sharing the experience with visitors and took his job very seriously. He spent some time going over Hawaiian history and culture, and info about the sea creatures we were likely to encounter.

Bari's son, Nick, also accompanied our group of 4 and turned out to be most helpful in making my husband feel comfortable in the water. He tried on several masks, and needed some reassurance occasionally. Bari and Nick were very patient and encouraging the whole time.

The snorkeling was AMAZING!!! (And I just went diving and snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef 2 months prior - hands down, this was the best snorkeling I had done. Caribbean or Australia didn't even come close) The colors were so vibrant. Fish were abundant. Bari was snorkeling with the group and pointed out various sea creatures along the way which made the experience more enriching.

I would definitely go with Bari and his crew again if we come back to Big Island. AND my husband agrees. He couldn't stop raving about this experience!!! :)

San Diego, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesomest snorkel trip ever!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My new wife and I had the pleasure of taking the Queens Tour with Bari this morning and it knocked out water socks off! I've snorkeled in the Bahamas, DR, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, and the Virgins, and this was by far the finest trip of them all! There were so many fish and such a great variety of sea creatures and coral that I was dumbfounded. Bari was extraordinarily patient, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about everything the entire trip through!

The only thing we would have done differently would have been to take the Kings Tour, but I guess we can do that next time!

1 Thank nzb2