“Great burgers--Jimmy Buffet would be proud. But only expect average service.”

Annie's Island Fresh Burgers
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Kealakekua
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

If I lived nearby I would be in every day. The burgers are top notch and the atmosphere makes you feel like you are in Key West with a Hawaii flair. Funny thing---our server was a bit unengaged. For example, we had asked for iced coffee. We received hot coffee. After getting our food, we didn't see her again until we were completed done. We wanted a refill on our hot coffee but she was not around. Fortunately, there were a couple of gentlemen who might have been managers but they were more attentive to us than was our server. Seems like some training is necessary. My only other complaint is that we were in the mood for burgers one evening and thought about coming here but they close at 8PM. 8PM???? That is way too early to close when you've been out all day and you come back to your room to shower and change. They should at least be open till 10.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stopped in here to eat twice while on the island. The food, service and atmosphere is superb. The onion rings were my favorite here. Each bite was that a bite. No onion pulling out of the ring, leaving you holding a bunch of fried breading. No..., eat bite was a delicious and complete bite, happily anticipating to take the next.
They do cut their meat one degree under, but they do tell you how it's going to come out. It is all grass fed beef and local caught fish. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went with friends to have a burger and beer and waited around 20 minutes for a table which was no problem. The staff was friendly and our order was taken and the food arrived in good time. We had all asked for our burgers to be well done (a Canadian thing), however mine was rare when it came and the waiter took it back no problem. They cooked the same burger a little more and brought it back. It looked as though it was cooked from where I had cut it half, but it turned out that only one half of it was cooked. When the waiter came back and asked how everything was he could see that over half my burger was still on the plate. I told him that it was still not cooked. His reply, "Well, it looks like you enjoyed enough of it!" Very poor response in my opinion. I gave it an average rating as the other three people in our group enjoyed their food.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

highly recommend Annie's Burgers. It's worth the drive if you are staying in Kailua. The service was outstanding and the burgers were delicious. My husbands's burger was so big and juicy, he had to eat it with a knife and fork. He couldn't hold it!

Our food did take a while to come out, but Dirk, the manager, noticed that we had been waiting a while and offered us something to eat while waiting. He brought us some of the purple potato salad and onion rings. Both were delicious! He explained that the problem was that the grill was small and we had come in at the end of a big rush. That's why the long wait.

The waiters and waitresses all work together. At least four people stopped by our table including Dirk who talked with us quite a while. It made for a very enjoyable dining experience.