“More than very good burgers”

Annie's Island Fresh Burgers
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Kealakekua
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have had the burgers here but this time we tried the grilled Ono sandwich with Wasabi and the Fish and Chips. We have been impressed by their very good burgers and the freshness of their food. The fish was very fresh and the condiments helped bring forth the flavor of the fresh Ono rather than hide it. Service was excellent, very attentive and friendly.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

What a tasty burger!! Great local spot, totally worth a visit!! Everything was fresh and creative. Authentic Hawaiian decor and friendly staff.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Annie's Island Fresh Burgers Restaurant Review

At first entering Annie's Island Fresh Burgers Restaurant you relax to the open air feel about the place. The makai (ocean facing) side of the dining area is screened in with sliding windows retracted into the walls so you feel the light breeze while listening to the gentle rain on the clear plexiglass awning allowing in the fresh filtered light. Looking out you see the peaceful, beautiful soft peach colored, trumpet shaped flowers of the belladonna tree.

The coffee they serve is 100% Kona coffee, Hawaiian Paradise label. I was not familiar with this so I ordered a cup. It has an amazing aroma with I light flavor. The coffee is smooth and I will order it again.

I ordered the Herbed Goat Cheese Poppers. The poppers are not the traditional stuffed peppers. They are chopped jalapeño, herbs, and goat cheese which are tempura fried. Served with a sweet chili garlic sauce on a bed of arugula from their garden. The poppers were okay until the server saw we weren't touching the arugula and suggested we wrap the popper with the arugula and then dip it. OMG. That's the ticket. The arugula added a pepperiness which redefined the appetizer into a category of "we will order again." Yum.

Sweet Tempura Onion rings. Great flavor. Leise says they are possibly the best she's ever had. I loved them but I wouldn't go quite that far... but close.

I ordered the special. Sautéed spinach, roasted garlic, local Hawai’i Island grass-fed beef burger on ciabatta bun. Sour cream horseradish sauce and au jus. I added Gorgonzola cheese. The burger came with a side of homemade purple potato salad, which was divine.

Grass-fed beef cooked properly is always the best. The portions were generous and I don't feel weighted down or angry like when you eat non organic beef. The coffee I'm sure is helping a little by giving me a little lift.

Leise ordered the Bacon Bleu Burger. Juicy Island grass fed raised beef smothered with their creamy garlic bleu cheese sauce. Topped with thick bacon on a toasted traditional bun. Fantastic. Juicy and tender, bun had great texture. She was unable to finish the portions were so generous. Truly Island style. She sadly informs me that she would like to keep eating but is full. I say sadly because she knows I will finish it tonight before she has a chance to think about it.

For peaceful and relaxing ambience I give Annie's 4 out of 5 surfboards. For food quality, flavor and organics I give 4 out of 5 surfboards. Over all I give 4 out of 5 surfboards. We will definitely stop back. I want to try their Hamakua mushroom burger and the deserts sound fantastic.

Aloha,
James C. Christopher
ThruJimsEyes

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We went for the onion rings but enjoyed the burgers very much! It
Is a typical hawaiian homey place with friendly staff and great food!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We ate in Kona for a couple of nights and found that while there was nothing wrong with the food there, it was just "missing" something. The area is a bit too commercial. If you are willing to travel about 20 minutes out of town to Kealakekua you will find a group of restaurants that have a lot more character and maybe a bit cheaper. When we got to Annie's and our burgers were brought to the table, it was the the first time our reaction was like "Wow"! And they didn't disappoint in taste either! The best burgers we have ever had! The service was also great. (Mind you, compared to the service we receive when eating out in Adelaide, every single restaurant we ate at in Hawaii is wonderful!)