“Skip this Tourist Trap”

Kona Joe Coffee
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in Kainaliu, in the heart of the Kona Coffee district, Kona Joe Coffee will take you into the first trellised coffee plantation in the world. We grow our coffee on a trellis system, very similar to how wine grapes are grown, hence, Coffee Grown Like Wine! There are many advantages to growing coffee by this patented method, all of which you can learn during your visit.We are open every day from 9am until 5pm. We offer Kona’s most complete, fully guided plantation tour experience. The tour is an information packed, 30 minute walking tour complete with visiting our dry mill, roasting and packing room, chocolate room, and up close look at coffee trees, cherries, parchment, and even possibly blooms!Kona Joe Coffee is a fully operative coffee farm completing everything from planting and growing, to wet milling, dry milling, roasting, packing, retail, and even making coffee drinks.You can also experience coffee and chocolate sampling in our artist inspired showroom. There are four types of coffee sampling and two types of chocolate sampling daily.Need a latte or cappuccino? We have a full service espresso bar located on our lanai with 270 degree views of the beautiful Kona CoastTour reservations are welcomed but not required. Visiting from a cruise ship? Need a pick up from Kailua? We offer free pick up in the Kona Joe Coffee shuttle for groups. Hope to see you soon and aloha!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Warrenton, Oregon
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Skip this Tourist Trap”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Least friendly place we went in Hawaii. Over priced. They want to charge $15 for a tour. Under staffed. We were there at about 2 PM on a Saturday and there was a woman in the Gift shop and a guy cleaning in an adjacant room. Pretty view. Go to Buddha's Cup for a real tour and better coffee.
They have a computer set up in the gift shop and if you leave good Tripadvisor review you gget a discount. This may account door the positive reviews.
Life is too short to waste any time here

1 Thank hmck
konajoe1, Manager at Kona Joe Coffee, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Aloha,
I am so sorry for your experience. We do offer a free self-guided tour including a video and tastings for those that do not want to pay for the fully guided tour. We really encourage all feedback from all our visitors so that we can make as many of our visitors as happy as possible. The computer in our shop is to sign up for our email list and has no access to leave reviews. We encourage people to leave reviews once they return home. I will look into our customer service at once and hope you will give us another shot :)
Mahalo,
Michelle Proue
Kona Joe Coffee

• Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Best coffee in the World”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was the first of a two part tour(Chocolate Factory next) for us. Their product, fields and facility were incredible to see. They were so friendly(as all Hawaiian's) on this tour, making us feel right at home. After showing us step by step, we learned to show some respect for all the work that goes into making coffee-planting, growing, harvesting, roasting and milling. And then the sampling began, I cannot express how great a experience it is to taste coffee fresh brewed(several varieties) from a mill in Hawaii. The coffee I bought was a little pricy but pure coffee, not blended down like in the grocery stores.

Jackson
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Discovering the world of coffee”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

You HAVE to visit Kona Joe's, esp. on a tour! Our tour (through NCL ship) group was presented with a scrumptious muffin and delectable coffee upon arrival. From there we viewed a video before the group was split up into smaller tour groups. We got to see how they trellis their coffee vines unlike other island producers. Very intriguing...from there we toured the actual coffee milling area. We were on brain overload - we did NOT realize how many different tiers of coffee there were, we certainly learned that the kind we THOUGHT had the most caffeine does NOT! It was really informative and enlightening to watch the process, the workers, and definitely smell the delicious aroma of the coffee. They have a great gift shop - of course, we HAD to buy some coffee. We NOW know what to look for in our coffees here at home, NEVER knew the difference (and why the price difference) between Kona or Hawaiian coffees. A MUST stop for the coffee onnoisseur.

Amery
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Coffee coffee coffee”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great attraction and even better coffee. Friendly employees and even better coffee. Great view of the water and did I mention the coffee?

Livonia, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The best coffee I've ever had. Period!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I never really used to care about what coffee I drank. Coffee was coffee to me. Until I went to the big island of Hawaii and tried 100% Kona coffee. It is incredible. Just try not to smile when you are drinking it!

I tried several different brands of Kona coffee, and Kona Joe's is my favorite. The best of the best. Their chocolate covered coffee beans are fantastic. Who would have guessed that a coffee bean could taste this good?

I recently returned to the big island with one of my daughters, and we stopped by their facility this time. What a beautiful place, with an incredible view! Very friendly staff.

I'll be coming back, for sure. In the meantime, I'll have to just keep ordering their coffee from their website.