“MUST STAY IF VISITING HILO AREA”

Ala Kai Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 8 Keaau B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed three nights in September and so glad we found this out of the way gem after having reservation issues with another Hilo area B&B. It is just a short ride outside of Hilo, but do use the GPS to find it. Close to Hilo but along the route to the Volcano National Park and closer than Kona to the Mauna Kea observatory, both must sees. Right on the coast, you can watch the waves crash against the shore from the porch where an exquisite breakfast is served, often including fruit grown in the backyard. The Bamboo room is cozy and well equipped for travellers of all types. A small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker allow you to snack or have a light meal on your own schedule and there is a picnic basket with real glasses and dishes for your use. The bathroom is spacious with a great shower. The wonderful hosts stay in the background but also offered advice and suggestions about the area when asked, sending us to probably the best snorkeling spot on that side the island and provided masks and snorkels for use. They also know the local eateries and recommended where to eat with the limited choices locally. The room had a binder with local info and tourist destinations to help you plan. They have a great pool if you want to enjoy a day without leaving the property. Only improvement they could make is adding A/C though it seemed to be an uncommon feature in local B&B as most locals are used to the temps, but there are fans and screens, even a screen door to keep you cool and allow the evening sounds filter in, we loved the frog and rain sounds. They also have a small cottage for families and groups, and a washer and dryer available -we did laundry elsewhere but a great way to cut back luggage, we did just carry-ons with four days of clothes for eight days and since they had practically anything you need besides clothes and toiletries it worked great. If you are a cat lover, your feline host Shakespeare will make your stay just like home. If we could package this B&B and put it in all our travel destinations, we would never stay anywhere else.

1  Thank Matthew K

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Ala Kai B&B was a nice surprise. The place is clean, quiet, comfortable, and you feel home pretty quick. Breakfast are awesome, the owners are friendly, respectful and really kind. The pool is great, and the whole place is adapted to solo, couples or families. If you're looking for a place to get rid of the stress, visit the volcanoes, and enjoy the variety of landscapes in Big Island, it is the place to stay. There is no traffic and the roads seem brand new, so you can even reach the west coast of the island in less than 3 hours (if you need some white sand beaches). A special mention for Shakespeare, the cuddly cat of the house...

Room Tip: The 2 rooms that "share" a bathroom (Aloha and Turtle) are perfectly independent, and the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pierre G
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband, our two teenaged daughters and I experienced a lovely 4 night stay at the Ala Kai B&B. Pat and Mary are friendly and hospitable hosts. Their cat Shakespeare was very friendly too and stopped by each day to "check" on us. We stayed in the two bedroom cottage which was very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful with lots of trees and plants. We enjoyed delicious breakfasts each morning on the lanai of the main house with a view of the ocean across the street. They cheerfully accommodated my aversion to eggs and we really enjoyed the variety of fresh fruit. Pat and Mary even arranged for us to have breakfast a little earlier the morning we left so we could eat there and still have enough time to get to the Hilo airport on time for our morning flight home. Given the opportunity, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Ala Kai B&B was wonderful. We wanted to split our time on the Big Island between the Hilo side and the Kona side, but we were also apprehensive about many of the options closer to Hilo. After scouring TripAdvisor, we decided to give the Ala Kai a try, and we could not have been happier with our choice. We stayed in the cabin behind the main house, and it was like having the best features of a B&B and a vacation rental at the same time. Pat and Mary were great hosts --- the breakfasts were very good, and featured incredibly delicious fresh fruit --- and we availed ourselves to the snorkel equipment and excellent advice for where to go swimming. We also loved the location right by the water, which along this part of the island features dramatic lava formations rather than beaches. By the time we left, we were already planning who we could get to come with us for our next visit!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Ala Kai B&B is a lovely place to stay. The owners have put a lot of thought and care into the place. We stayed in the Bamboo Room, and aside from a comfortable bed and amazing "cave shower," the room was stocked with things like a picnic basket, books, ear plugs (in case the tree frog symphony gets too loud at night), and a guide book. The house is right across the street from the ocean (but it's not a swimming spot) and there is a small pool on premises. The only drawback is that it's relatively far from restaurants, etc. you can't simply pop around the corner for dinner -- you have to get in the car and drive at least 15 minutes just to get out of the subdivision where the Ala Kai B&B is located. They do offer breakfast in the morning, although we were in too much of a hurry to get to the airport to wait until breakfast was served at 8am.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stumbled the Ala Kai B&B because I was attending a wedding that happened to be taking place across the street at a private residence and wanted to be as close to the wedding site as possible. I could not have asked for a more ideal situation. My room had a private entrance and an incredible, walk-in bamboo trimmed shower, a microwave, wi-fi, TV and DVD player. The bed was clean and very comfortable. I slept like a baby each of my 4 nights there.

Mary and Pat are two of the most hospitable hosts I have met. They balanced attending to their guests' needs with giving their guests privacy and space perfectly. I enjoyed their breakfast spreads each morning overlooking the ocean -- eggs, sausage, fresh fruits, jams, bagels, breads. I ate my fill.

I would highly recommend staying at the Ala Kai if you are truly looking to get away and enjoy some quiet Hawaii.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank S M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've worked in hospitality for over 15 years and was slightly apprehensive ( to say the least ) about staying at a bed and breakfast. Upon my arrival my partner and I were greeted warmly by Mary. She showed us were to park and where we would be saying the next 4 days. Invited us to their 4th of July festivities on the back deck and introduced us to her sister Pat.

I could write on forever but think I'm limited ...

Breakfast every morning was amazing, with fresh pineapple, mangos, and bananas....definitely NO fruit from the can! Mary and Pat were most helpful in recommendations from a local florist, wine shopping, and a local place for snorkeling. And they offer complimentary snorkel gear. The bed was most comfortable and everything was extremely clean. I am now a fan of bed and breakfasts. Thank you Pat and Mary for a wonderful stay.

Sandi & Yameekia

Sandi and Yameekia

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank yolo2020
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keaau
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
#2 of 7 in Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

Been to Ala Kai Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!