“Feels like home in a rainforest!”
Review of Art and Orchids

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keaau
Art and Orchids
Ranked #4 of 8 Keaau B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Art and Orchids is a wonderful B and B in a rainforest! Easy to access via rental car and provided directions. Markie was a really warm and welcoming hostess who takes the time to put in the little details that made our stay special. We loved that she served a variety of tropical fruits fresh from the garden for the buffet breakfast! Yum. She also made us a delicious To Go meal for our early departure, which was a super nice last taste of the island. Lots of rainforest night sounds (mainly a frog chorus) that added something unique to our stay (was not detrimental to sleeping). Rooms were clean, and great living room with lots of movies and books. Fun artwork abounds. Careful of bug bites if you go to the hot tub or pool in the evening! ;) Perfect location for exploring volcano, Puna, and Hilo side of the island. Highly recommended taste of Hawaiian living, thank you Markie!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Art & Orchids. The room and common space were beautiful, clean, airy and open. The tile work they have done is wonderful-- it felt like there were little surprises and gifts left for us to discover all around. The furnishings were also original, comfortable and beautiful, especially the wood used. My daughter loved the pool, especially the waterfall and the little cat foot prints on the bottom. Markie was a warm and thoughtful host, as well as a very good cook and an outstanding gardener. Grows her own fruit to serve with breakfast-- it doesn't get any better! We couldn't believe the gorgeous flowers and plants-- paradise couldn't be any more beautiful. We appreciated all the outdoor equipment they had laid out for guests to use. Also, great selection of books. Loved it!

Room Tip: Rainbow Room was great for us-- a couple and a child
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

While looking for a house for our retirement, I stayed in this great B&B. Markie and Jerry were not only gracious hosts, but helped me in so many ways, such as loaning me detailed maps of the area and suggesting places to visit. Having a great breakfast in the morning helped get me started (it was filling enough that I usually ended up skipping lunch). The pool was a refreshing way to end a long day of house hunting. Although I did visit several of the local restaurants, on several nights I made a simple dinner in the guest kitchen. I found the bed comfortable (we sleep on a DUX bed at home, so I have not always found other beds comfortable). This is wonderfully relaxing B&B that I would highly recommend for adults.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed there many years ago...long before I heard of trip advisor, but doing research for a return stay reminded me to write this review. We loved Art and Orchids! It is a bit of a hassle to get to, but totally worth it. The hosts were very welcoming without being intrusive. There is a great kitchen space if you want to make dinner or lunch. We took the smallest room and still had plenty of space for 7 days. They also set up a massage appointment for us on the day we flew home and let us check out late. The room was very clean and comfortable and, most important in my book, had capacity for early morning coffee before breakfast was served. I would definitely recommend it. If indeed, we return to Hawaii this year, we will stay there again, if they would have us!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Markie was a very welcoming host and showed us around the beautiful property as well as the homey and comfortable accomodations. We enjoyed chatting with another couple who was staying there as well. We are vegans, and Markie made vegan pancakes for us that were every bit as good as regular. And she bought the exact soymilk we requested for her delicious homemade granola.

To top it off, they provided us with a detailed description of and directions to the beaches/tidepools/parks that we were wanting to enjoy on the Puna coast. We never would have known about Mango Grove Rd without the directions. We got to drive through a beautiful rainforest jungle on our way to the places we wanted to check out. Swimming at the heated pool was fantastic. Next time we will stay longer!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is our favorite B&B in the world, and we've traveled most of it. The hosts, Markie and Jerry are the most accomodating, down to earth people, the food is terrific, the Garden Room is an oasis, the common areas are unrivaled, the art and gardens and pool - I always feel like I'm really on vacation as soon as we get there. And the value is exceptional. We can hardly wait unitl next time!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

We had not been back to the Big Island for 6 years. Last time we chose Art and Orchids at random, and had a perfectly relaxing visit. This time we decided to return and the improvements to the B&B really were remarkable. My favorites were the waterfall pool and the handcrafted mosaics. Markie and Jerry were great hosts, genuine examples of why we choose B&B stays over impersonal hotels on our vacations. Loved the chickens and the homemade breakfasts! Markie accomodated our need for a high protein, diabetic friendly meal, and we could still indulge in their wonderful fruit grown on the property.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Art and Orchids? Share your experiences!