“Not a place to go for service.”
Review of Native Pastas & Steaks - CLOSED

Native Pastas & Steaks
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Waited at the door to be seated the manager and waitress were more concerned with laughing and talking than seating us once we were sat, we waited 10 minutes for our server to come and she was the same girl who sat us so we knew she knew we were there. She took our drink and food order at the same time but brought the drinks out one by one. We ordered an appetizer of nachos that came out with our food, but my boyfriend got his sandwich side seconds after ordering. She never asked to refill waters or if we wanted another drink. We had to go ask for refills and the check then got the wrong bill. I work in hilo in the restaurant business and understand things happen but it was a slow lunch and our server seemed more involved in socializing than doing her job. It is unfortunate because the food was good.

Reviewed August 25, 2010

We have dined at Hokulani's on several occasions and love the place. The staff has an aloha welcoming that is lacking in other area restaurants. The local music is a bonus to the great food, reasonable prices and friendly service. Every time we've sent guests or visited the restaurant ourselves there is great local musicans gracing the stage. The manager "Tex", takes pride in his job and it shows! Mahalo to you all for providing the area and our guests a great dining experience...every time!

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Happened to stop in for lunch and were very pleased with the food/service/atmosphere.
Great place at the bottom right of the Big Island. McDonalds and Pizza Hut are there also...so glad we went a little further in looking for quality. Had the grass fed beef burger and the BLT. 3pm is Happy hour :-)

Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stumbled onto this restaurant on the way back to Volcano. It's hiding just off Highway 11 in a shopping center with a Foodland Supermarket. What an amazing place! My husband and daughter both ordered the NY Strip Steak and I had a wonderful, tender and delicious Prime Rib. All the meat was very lean, cooked well and came with vegetables and a side of your choice in addition to soup or salad. The salads were crispy and fresh and my daughter loved the potato soup. My daughter ordered a Brownie Sundae and it was massive and delicious. With a tip, we spent less than $100 on this delicious meal. It was the most inexpensive and best dinner we had on the Big Island.

Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stumbled upon Hokulani's Steakhouse by accident when we took a wrong turn heading for a view of the lava flow (it's a great restaurant to stop by at on the way there or on the way back, by the way). We had a great dinner there and wound up missing the chance to see the lava flow, but that's okay. We saw it the next day (and ate dinner at Hokulani's again afterward). The kids had excellent burgers. The first night I had their burger which was very good, and my husband had the prime rib, which was excellent. The next night I had their sandwich special (a grilled chicken) which was very tasty, and my husband had their ribs, which he very much enjoyed. The potato wedges he had with both of his meals were excellent. The staff was friendly and the ambiance was mostly sports bar, but that was fine with us.