“Second condo better than the first....”

Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Second condo better than the first....”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at the Mauna lani Terrace for our honeymoon in August 2013. We booked through South Kohala Management - - no problems there, communication was easy and fast. We booked a Deluxe renovated unit... it was nice, brand new kitchen, beautiful lanai, nice bathrooms. I was very pleased with the condo as it looked just like the pictures they had sent me.

We unpacked and I had gone to lay down after an early dinner and a long day of travel. Suddenly, I was woken up by my husband screaming like a little girl because he walked into the kitchen to find a HUGE rat on the kitchen counter. (Ok, maybe "little girl" is harsh... he screamed manly screams.) The rat was digging at a paper bag (there was no food on the counter). The thing disappeared through the space between the cabinets and the fridge. Gross!

We called management, but the office was closed. They answering service picked up and someone called us back within 5 minutes. South Kohala's response was that they would send some rat traps over in the morning. We slept that night with our bedroom door closed because we didn't want our new little rat friend (who I had by now named "Marshmallow") to visit our bedroom. The next morning, they management folks came to drop off some rat traps to put in the kitchen. However, we were on our honeymoon and my husband didn't want to spend our time bleaching and cleaning everything in the kitchen before using it. So we asked to be swapped to a new condo. Thankfully, South Kohala had another smaller Deluxe unit available, and we spent the afternoon moving to a new condo. Not the worst thing, stuff happens and I was just glad that they had space available to move us.

However, I am deducting 2 stars because I later looked online and the unit they moved us to was less expensive than our original unit, and no one at South Kohala offered to pay us the difference at the time we swapped condos. I had to go request it (they told me no, but then later called me back and said they would refund the difference). I should not have to re-price out the condo just get a refund for the advertised difference.

That being said, it did not spoil our vacation. The resort property and beach is beautiful!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sara210

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Please be aware that the Terrace is an older complex that looks and feels its age. We selected a "Deluxe" unit with an ocean view. Deluxe means that the kitchen and bathroom were updated at some point in time. The unit itself and the furnishings reminded us of a college dormitory. Inexpensive and barely functional. When we arrived we noticed a strong unpleasant odor in the unit. We immediately returned to the office and told the young woman working there that the unit was not acceptable. She informed us that she would call her manager and get back to us as soon as possible. After several hours of waiting in a cafe we returned to the office where we were informed that she was not able to reach her manager and that there was nothing she could do. It was Thanksgiving day so we were willing to cut her a little slack and moved into the unit.

Long story short, we left all of the windows and doors open for 2 days and 2 nights and still were blasted with a strong unpleasant odor every time we entered the unit. We never heard from anyone from South Kohala Management. Deciding that our vacation was being negatively impacted by this depressing unit, we checked out and moved over to the Point. I informed the manager at the Terrace that I expected to receive some sort of credit for the time not spent in the unit. I have never received any communication of any kind from anyone associated with this complex.

Please do yourself a favor and immediately go to the Mauna Lani Point webpage. This is a beautiful, professionally run complex and one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The employees at Classic Resorts are kind, efficient and will go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful stay. We stayed in a large, beautifully decorated 2 bedroom ocean view condo at the Point for less money per night than we were paying for the 1 bedroom dorm room at the Terrace. And it included daily maid service and shuttle service.

The only positive thing I can think of to say about the Terrace is that it probably makes sense for families with young children to stay there due to its easy access to the pool and hotel.

Room Tip: There may be some nicer units at this complex. Be very careful in your selection.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David B
SouthKohala, Manager at Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Aloha David,
We received your compliant about a musty smell on the day of your arrival, Thanksgiving Day. Due to the fact that it was a holiday and we were fully booked we did not have an alternative room for you to stay that night. Our front desk staff's understanding was that you would stay the night and let us know how it was the next day. We did not hear from you and assumed that there was no longer an issue. I regret that we did not reach out the next day to check in with you. The unit that you stayed in underwent a renovation this past summer and has brand new living and dining room furniture and new stone flooring throughout. We have hosted many guests in this property prior to your arrival and have never received a complaint about a smell. Being that the Terrace is the most oceanfront property in the resort, it does have a unique smell of the saltwater, sand, and natural ponds in the area that may not be suitable for everybody. We would have liked the opportunity to relocate you to a property at a different location but overall we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Mauna Lani Resort. Thank you.
Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Mauna Lani Hotel a few years ago and LOVE this area. We knew that when we returned we wanted a little more room to spread out, so we went with the Terrace right next door to the hotel (we really wanted the beach to be walking distance).

We were in Unit C302. The unit is a little dated and I would have preferred to not have carpet, but the unit was basically clean and well cared for. Lots of room for a family of 4 and we really enjoyed eating on the lanai. We did have a few issues that the South Kohala Mgmt addressed pretty quickly (AC, lights out), but overall I found them to not be very friendly. When we checked in we were given a list of all the things we are not supposed to do and how much we would be charge if we lost any of the keys - just very off putting. In addition, the exterior of our unit was being painted and the painters were noisy, we had to move our car several time to accommodate the painters. I understand that maintenance has to be done, but really just hate that it had to be during my vacation. Oh and the pool was closed for 2 days during our stay so they could replace the pump. Again - who really wants to be in the pool when you have the beautiful pacific ocean, but occasionally the kids did want a break from the pool. When I asked if there was another pool we could use, we were told in a rather curt manor "the ocean". It would have been nice if other accommodations for a pool had been made for guest.

You cannot beat the location - right on the beach close to both the hotel and the beach club. The Shops at the Mauna Lani is walking distance and there is a great market there as well as lots of shops for beach rentals, swim suits and some decent restaurants. We love the Kohala Coast!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank girlfromVA
SKMrep, Manager at Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi girlfromVA and thank you for your review. I am sorry about the convergence of those two maintenance issues while you were here on your vacation. As you mentioned the pool's pump had broken and sometimes these unforeseeable interruptions can come up. Our staff did their best to inform all of our guests that it might be a good time to plan a beach day or to go sightseeing. I apologize that we did not come off as friendly as we had intended. I also totally understand the "off-putting" reaction to the check-in procedures. We know that when guests arrive they are eager to start decompressing but we have a duty to inform you of the policies so that everything is up-front and clear. I am pleased that overall you liked the property and felt that it was well cared for. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the future. Mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I happened to be browsing through my favorite condo complex and was shocked to see several negative reviews of the Mauna Lani Terrace as well as the vacation rental company South Kohala Management.

I have been staying annually at the Mauna Lani Terrace since 2007 and consider it my absolute favorite place to stay in Hawaii. Unit J103 has been my sanctuary the last few years when I come to the Big Island. It's a short walk from the incredible coastline, which is never even remotely crowded like spots on Maui and Oahu, and near everything at the Mauna Lani resort. The unit is spacious, has open patios and is great for having company, and drinks, under the outrageously clear night skies.

South Kohala Management is perhaps the most reputable and oldest vacation rental company on the island. Their staff (shout out to Teri and Ruby) are among the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met, and I know plenty others who feel the same way. The girls at the nearby office are on-hand every day if you have any questions or need any assistance. My point is, SKM has made me a customer for life, and I highly recommend booking with them if you want first class service and an excellent unit.

When you stay at the Terrace, don't forget about the pool/spa area available to you. I barely realized it was even there the first time as I was so busy getting tan at the beach, but its a great place to unwind after a busy day. Also the fish and shark pond on the opposite side of the hotel, it's an amazing spot for pictures. Sunset here is the most beautiful in the world, second to nowhere.

Room Tip: Ask for WD-40 from the South Kohala girls if you're having trouble using the key to your unit...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Matthew G
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

It is the last day of our week+ in Hawaii. After much research, we selected Mauna Lani Terrace, for the location (weather on the Kohala Coast is predictably sunny and warm), access to the highly rated Mauna Lani resort (quiet, peaceful, un-resorty vibe, but with wonderful amenities like walking paths, beach chairs, and a great cafe). We chose H303 because of it's universally high reviews and booked directly from the owners.

Dave and Sandy were wonderful. They checked on our arrival time to make sure the place would be ready for us. When we arrived, the place was immaculately cleaned and there was a basket of Kona coffee, pineapple, papaya, macadamia nuts, and Sandy's homemade cookies.

The condo is gorgeous... Even lovelier than the rooms at the beautiful Grand Hyatt in Kauai and the Fairmont Kea Lani, where we stayed on our last two trips. Everything has been renovated and well cared for. The two bedroom place was perfect for us and our two young daughters. The kitchen is very well equipped, the washer/dryer is essential for families, and there are beach chairs, umbrellas, and sand toys available if you need them.

The best thing about H303 is it's location; there are uninstructed views from the lanais of the ocean and fishponds. You can walk to the beach and beach club to the south in five minutes... A perfect beach for small children, with gentle to non-existent waves. The beach includes cabanas and lounge chairs free for guests of the Mauna Lani Terrace. The restaurant there is very good; we ate two lunches and two dinners there. The Mauna Lani Hotel is a five minute walk to the north; we enjoyed morning coffee and afternoon drinks there.

Other highlights: Volcanoes National Park (we took the inland route to get there on Saddle Road and the magnificent coastal route north from Hilo and then through Waimea on the way back. Gorgeous!), Hapuna Beach just five minutes north by car - great boogie boarding and body surfing, Fair-Wind catamaran snorkel cruise - perfect for families, Lava Lava Beach Club and Browns Beach House at sunset, and the Blue Dragon Restaurant and Musiquarium.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank jstrausz-clark
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed for one week in A204 with 2 little kids and grandparents. There was ample space for everyone inside and on the lanai connected to each room. The location was perfect - enough view, but still sheltered. Two minute walk to pool and jacuzi and easy walk to the beach. We snorkeled in front of the Mauna Lani Hotel and off the beach, which was okay, but not the best to be found. The wind was very strong for 4 days, so this limited our outdoor activities. Will never go back to hotels!

Room Tip: A204 is on second floor and views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Calitravelle
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013

2 years from our first stay, our 2 girls joined us for a 10 day holiday at Mauna Lani. We stayed in the same unit the two of us had booked in 2011. Great vacation, but what's noteworthy is that G301 was extensively renovated since our 2011 vacation, so it was a great to have the same Mauna Lani experience that we've come to enjoy in a newly renovated unit. On this stay we had the opportunity to see a few other units (2 other families joined us and rented other units in the Terrace) that have not been renovated; it's quite a difference from a newly renovated unit. If you're planning a stay at Mauna Lani (which I highly recommend: we will be returning, likely for March break 2014), I suggest you enquire if the prospective Terrace unit you plan on renting has been recently renovated...

Room Tip: As mentioned above: ask when the unit you're thinking of renting was renovated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DavidCfromToronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums? Share your experiences!