“Good place for families”

Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Mauna Lani Hotel a few years ago and LOVE this area. We knew that when we returned we wanted a little more room to spread out, so we went with the Terrace right next door to the hotel (we really wanted the beach to be walking distance).

We were in Unit C302. The unit is a little dated and I would have preferred to not have carpet, but the unit was basically clean and well cared for. Lots of room for a family of 4 and we really enjoyed eating on the lanai. We did have a few issues that the South Kohala Mgmt addressed pretty quickly (AC, lights out), but overall I found them to not be very friendly. When we checked in we were given a list of all the things we are not supposed to do and how much we would be charge if we lost any of the keys - just very off putting. In addition, the exterior of our unit was being painted and the painters were noisy, we had to move our car several time to accommodate the painters. I understand that maintenance has to be done, but really just hate that it had to be during my vacation. Oh and the pool was closed for 2 days during our stay so they could replace the pump. Again - who really wants to be in the pool when you have the beautiful pacific ocean, but occasionally the kids did want a break from the pool. When I asked if there was another pool we could use, we were told in a rather curt manor "the ocean". It would have been nice if other accommodations for a pool had been made for guest.

You cannot beat the location - right on the beach close to both the hotel and the beach club. The Shops at the Mauna Lani is walking distance and there is a great market there as well as lots of shops for beach rentals, swim suits and some decent restaurants. We love the Kohala Coast!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank girlfromVA
SKMrep, Manager at Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hi girlfromVA and thank you for your review. I am sorry about the convergence of those two maintenance issues while you were here on your vacation. As you mentioned the pool's pump had broken and sometimes these unforeseeable interruptions can come up. Our staff did their best to inform all of our guests that it might be a good time to plan a beach day or to go sightseeing. I apologize that we did not come off as friendly as we had intended. I also totally understand the "off-putting" reaction to the check-in procedures. We know that when guests arrive they are eager to start decompressing but we have a duty to inform you of the policies so that everything is up-front and clear. I am pleased that overall you liked the property and felt that it was well cared for. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the future. Mahalo.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I happened to be browsing through my favorite condo complex and was shocked to see several negative reviews of the Mauna Lani Terrace as well as the vacation rental company South Kohala Management.

I have been staying annually at the Mauna Lani Terrace since 2007 and consider it my absolute favorite place to stay in Hawaii. Unit J103 has been my sanctuary the last few years when I come to the Big Island. It's a short walk from the incredible coastline, which is never even remotely crowded like spots on Maui and Oahu, and near everything at the Mauna Lani resort. The unit is spacious, has open patios and is great for having company, and drinks, under the outrageously clear night skies.

South Kohala Management is perhaps the most reputable and oldest vacation rental company on the island. Their staff (shout out to Teri and Ruby) are among the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met, and I know plenty others who feel the same way. The girls at the nearby office are on-hand every day if you have any questions or need any assistance. My point is, SKM has made me a customer for life, and I highly recommend booking with them if you want first class service and an excellent unit.

When you stay at the Terrace, don't forget about the pool/spa area available to you. I barely realized it was even there the first time as I was so busy getting tan at the beach, but its a great place to unwind after a busy day. Also the fish and shark pond on the opposite side of the hotel, it's an amazing spot for pictures. Sunset here is the most beautiful in the world, second to nowhere.

Room Tip: Ask for WD-40 from the South Kohala girls if you're having trouble using the key to your unit...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

It is the last day of our week+ in Hawaii. After much research, we selected Mauna Lani Terrace, for the location (weather on the Kohala Coast is predictably sunny and warm), access to the highly rated Mauna Lani resort (quiet, peaceful, un-resorty vibe, but with wonderful amenities like walking paths, beach chairs, and a great cafe). We chose H303 because of it's universally high reviews and booked directly from the owners.

Dave and Sandy were wonderful. They checked on our arrival time to make sure the place would be ready for us. When we arrived, the place was immaculately cleaned and there was a basket of Kona coffee, pineapple, papaya, macadamia nuts, and Sandy's homemade cookies.

The condo is gorgeous... Even lovelier than the rooms at the beautiful Grand Hyatt in Kauai and the Fairmont Kea Lani, where we stayed on our last two trips. Everything has been renovated and well cared for. The two bedroom place was perfect for us and our two young daughters. The kitchen is very well equipped, the washer/dryer is essential for families, and there are beach chairs, umbrellas, and sand toys available if you need them.

The best thing about H303 is it's location; there are uninstructed views from the lanais of the ocean and fishponds. You can walk to the beach and beach club to the south in five minutes... A perfect beach for small children, with gentle to non-existent waves. The beach includes cabanas and lounge chairs free for guests of the Mauna Lani Terrace. The restaurant there is very good; we ate two lunches and two dinners there. The Mauna Lani Hotel is a five minute walk to the north; we enjoyed morning coffee and afternoon drinks there.

Other highlights: Volcanoes National Park (we took the inland route to get there on Saddle Road and the magnificent coastal route north from Hilo and then through Waimea on the way back. Gorgeous!), Hapuna Beach just five minutes north by car - great boogie boarding and body surfing, Fair-Wind catamaran snorkel cruise - perfect for families, Lava Lava Beach Club and Browns Beach House at sunset, and the Blue Dragon Restaurant and Musiquarium.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank jstrausz-clark
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed for one week in A204 with 2 little kids and grandparents. There was ample space for everyone inside and on the lanai connected to each room. The location was perfect - enough view, but still sheltered. Two minute walk to pool and jacuzi and easy walk to the beach. We snorkeled in front of the Mauna Lani Hotel and off the beach, which was okay, but not the best to be found. The wind was very strong for 4 days, so this limited our outdoor activities. Will never go back to hotels!

Room Tip: A204 is on second floor and views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Calitravelle
Reviewed April 4, 2013

2 years from our first stay, our 2 girls joined us for a 10 day holiday at Mauna Lani. We stayed in the same unit the two of us had booked in 2011. Great vacation, but what's noteworthy is that G301 was extensively renovated since our 2011 vacation, so it was a great to have the same Mauna Lani experience that we've come to enjoy in a newly renovated unit. On this stay we had the opportunity to see a few other units (2 other families joined us and rented other units in the Terrace) that have not been renovated; it's quite a difference from a newly renovated unit. If you're planning a stay at Mauna Lani (which I highly recommend: we will be returning, likely for March break 2014), I suggest you enquire if the prospective Terrace unit you plan on renting has been recently renovated...

Room Tip: As mentioned above: ask when the unit you're thinking of renting was renovated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DavidCfromToronto
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at F102 for a week. The apartment is specious, two bedrooms and a huge living room, 2 full bathrooms plus an extra toilet, large fully equipped kitchen, large terrace, they call these lanai over there, looking toward ocean. The premises are surrounded by golf court and black lava fields. There is a large pond right in front of the lanai full of large jumping fish. You get your own parking space, too. Wi-fi, TV, DVD player, etc. The condo is a tiny bit dated but very clean, it was cleaned twice during our stay. The distance too the beach is somewhat too extensive but I would have given it five stars nevertheless if not for their treatment of smokers. I enjoy a cigarette with my morning coffee or with a glass of wine in the evening. Which I did here for 1 day. The next day we found a letter slapped on the door. Smoking on lanai is against the Hawaiian law, it turns out. Well, let's find the designated place. No such a thing here (as opposed to other resorts we had stayed in Hawaii.) Smoking is banned on the entire resort territory. Sure enough, us smokers find our ways to circumvent any ban but it leaves an unpleasant taste of being treated with no respect, fascist-style. The bottom line - if you enjoy your pipe or cigar, don't stay at this resort. Otherwise it's a quite nice place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Saul09
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed in unit E101. Having never been to Big Island didn't know what to expect; so I looked for the same level of accommodation as we stay at on Maui, Kaanapalii Beach Resort area. I hit a home run with this place. I searched VRBO, emailed various owners, and talked with SKM. E101 was selected for many reasons: Owner went out of his way to accommodate our visit / SKM answered every lame question I threw at them, and finally being a senior with arthritius decided it was easier to go down 7 stairs to the front door rather than climb two or three sets of stairs to corresponding floors - it all came together beautifully! For the age of the complex the unit is in excellent condition. It has one of the largest master baths I've seen in a rental. The kitchen is nicely equiped with almost everything you can imagine. The unit has 3 lanai's all overlooking the fish ponds, pool and beach area. Grounds are excellently maintained; and the spoiled local cats are a hoot. SKM was more than professional, even coming to the unit to assist our attaching to the free internet (like I said seniors... and we didn't have grandkids to help). It's a very safe location within walking distance of nearby hotels (Mauna Lani Bay and Fairmont), a great little shopping area and a most wonderful Foodland Market - good prices and selection. Highly recommend both the unit and the complex.

Room Tip: best ocean views, 2nd and 3rd floor units are best... 1st floor units have "some" view. A...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank avoma42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Kona Coast Resort
Kona Coast Resort
#1 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Mauna Lani Terrace Condominiums? Share your experiences!