“We were turned away when the restaurant closed early”
Review of Solimene's - CLOSED

Solimene's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The last time we eat at Solimene's my husband enjoyed his food but my stuffed shells were cold. Not warm, but the middle was out-of-the-cooler cold. We had eaten there before and had enjoyed it so we ventured back last night. We called the restaurant to find out what time they closed. The lady on the phone said 9:00 PM but the last seating was at 8:30. We dropped what we were doing and rushed over to park in front of the door at 8:27. The sign was already turned off. I rushed in to insure we met the 8:30 deadline and was told they stopped seating at 8:30. This was completely confusing to me since it was still not 8:30. I explained we could order right away while we were standing there and did not need any fuss made over us. She said we could order takeout but the last seating was at 8:30. Again, it still was not 8:30. I explained we were in Waimea from Kona and did not want to eat dinner out of a box in our car in the rain and wind.
Again she explained they stopped seating at 8:30. At 8:31 we got back in our car and left for Red Water Restaurant where we were welcomed and enjoyed a nice dinner. They also closed at 9:00 but we would have never known it for our service was unrushed and friendly.
Either the employees are making decisions on how to run Solimene's, or the owners can afford to throw away customers. This may seem harsh however; we have sent many people to the restaurant over the years and no longer feel comfortable referring them after this poor experience. I understand they were cutting costs by closing early, but what has this bad experience cost them in the long run?

2  Thank jackief2010

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Based on how crowded the restaurant was, we assumed that Solimene's would be good. It wasn't. My fish was overcooked yet cold. The pasta wasn't cooked enough and the chicken parmesan was dry. They were very busy so the service wasn't all that great, either. The waiter failed to bring the water (we asked twice) and worse - forgot to bring the wine (but charged us on the bill). A disappointment all around.

1  Thank MrsRandoman
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food in this restaurant. Ended up having lunch here by accident, but we'll go again when we're back in the neighbourhood. Pasta tasted the way it should!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

After reading most of the reviews, my husband and I thought we would enjoy our meal at Solimene's, but unfortunately, we didn't. It took a couple minutes for the waitress/hostess to acknowledge us when we walked in. When she finally brought us to a table she didn't give us menus. She walked into the kitchen and we could hear her laughing and joking with another employee. It took another 4 minutes or so for her to bring us menus - she just dropped them on the table and said something like "Welcome" while walking away. At this point I should have listened to my gut - which was telling me to leave! I ordered the Capellini Pomodoro. According to the menu it consisted of fresh tomatoes, basil, extra virgin olive oil and was sprinkled with fresh Parmigiano Reggiano. All ingredients that I love. Unfortunately, there was nothing special about the sauce. It tasted like it came out of a can. I couldn't even taste the basil - my favourite herb! My husband ordered the Hot Meatball Parmigiana, again the sauce tasted like it came out of a can, the bread was crumbly and way over-cooked. Tonnes of sauce, tonnes of cheese, a sloppy mess. I would recommend Merriman's for lunch. At lunchtime they are about the same price point as Solimene's and the food is fresh.

1  Thank Debby S
Reviewed December 29, 2013

After a day at the Kohala coast beaches, we were hankering for some good Italian food. Solimene's did not disappoint.

From the moment we stepped in the door, the aroma of garlic and goodness had us trapped. A huge menu awaited - it was hard to narrow down our choices. While Dad wasn't thrilled with the crostini-style bruschetta, the rest of us loved our pasta. Fresh, piping hot and delicious down to the last bite.

Unfortunately no room for dessert but that's okay - we got what we came for - great pasta at a reasonable price. Keep up the yummy work!