“Awesome BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Hawaiian, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

As a native South Carolinian, I take my BBQ seriously. I'll admit to some skepticism when I first sat down at this restaurant. It was very nice on the inside - almost too pretty to do BBQ right. The kind waitress assuaged my fears. My wife and I got the BBQ sampler, which was plenty for two people. Most everything was great. The pulled pork was succulent and tender. The ribs equally so. The brisket was just all right, but I'm not a brisket guy. And, we mentioned to the waitress that it was our anniversary and she gave us free cake. It was not a lie. The cake was delicious. We kept wanting to get back here, but our schedule wouldn't allow it. It would be a first stop next time we get back to the island.

But, bone to pick. The menu/waitress said the BBQ sauce was 'southern' sauce. I know Hawaiians may not be as picky as I, but that was a Texas-type sauce, not a southern one. Otherwise, a flawless experience.

1  Thank Stephen H

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We Started with pulled pork nachos. the plate was loaded and they were so good! My sweetheart got the Ono fish and chips which were killer! I ordered the pulled pork sandwich which was exceptional!
Must say the Triple layer Chocolate cake the best on the island!
The waitress was attentive and service a ten!
Loved our experience!

4  Thank grammagrampa
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Ambience suits the area, rustic cowboy charm.
Could be cleaner. Tables and chairs are sticky.
The menu is short and sweet. We ordered the house specialty, smoked meats and house-made barbecue sauces.
Tasty, though the meat was dry. Coleslaw crisp and light with fresh dill.
Attentive, knowledgeable service, helped with our choices.

1  Thank Danielle D
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Based upon reviews of this restaurant here (and elsewhere), my wife and I made it a point to have lunch at The Fish and the Hog. We needn't have bothered.

The two waitresses basically couldn't be bothered . . . with anything; they were too bored, and too disinterested to even refill water glasses, let alone smile or make one feel welcomed. The fish and chips were fine -- nothing special -- but the pulled pork sandwich was dry, bland, all but tasteless, save for the added barbecue sauce(s). A definite disappointment, given what we had come to expect from other comments we'd read.

1  Thank JasonBrandtLewis
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I ate at this restaurant with my family yesterday. The food was acceptable, but when I checked my transactions I ended up with a surprise. The total of my bill was $38.54, but I ended up with a charge of $46.25. I left a tip, but someone added an additional 20% tip to my ticket. The receipt clearly stated that "20% auto Gratuity will be added to parties of 6 or more", but we were a party of 3 and left a tip.

I called and addressed this issue with the personnel. I spoke with someone who said they were the manager, but maybe they were the person responsible for adding the unauthorized charge. I travel nationally and internationally and I guess I am lucky that this is the first time that this happened to me.

3  Thank internatlgirl