“Accidental tourist”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Hawaiian, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Landed here by a stroke of good luck! Merrimans was closed, but a kind waitress recommended we try it. It was easy to find, right off the main road with ample parking. Paula, our waitress, served us with true aloha spirit! The Big Country Salad, locally grown, with lemongrass kefir salad dressing, was delish. There were 10 different veggies, topped with a perfectly grilled slice of marlin. We shared the salad and a plate of fork tender brisket, with homemade fries and coleslaw. The BBQ sauce was made with local Asian ingredients...very different and superior. They were out of Tahitian limes, so no daiquiri...instead, she made me a concoction of lime, rum and passionfruit juice that was just great. I don't mind when a restaurant runs out of things...that means their food is turning over quickly, and very fresh. They had just finished making a coconut banana pie. If you don't have room, take to go for later. Mahalo, Fish and Hog! We'll be back!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Coming back from Hilo on Thanksgiving evening, we were having trouble finding a restaurant that was open when we stumbled across The Fish and The Hog. The ambience was very nice and the service was great. The food (pulled pork and the "barbecue sampler" were both very good; and the fries were great too. The portions were big; we all took some extra home for lunch the next day. The chocolate cake was yummy!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had the fish and chips. They were ade with Mahi Mahi. The best fish and chips I ever had. Even beats Alaska Halibut, which was my favorite fish and chips until now.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

maybe it was just a bad night for them but we came here wanting some fish and they ran out of fish, chicken and only had the hog to offer. The pork was tasty enough. T hat was okay but the salad that my friend ordered got mixed up with another person so they remade the salad, no biggie but it was just an overall disaster that night. I'd try it again because of the cool vibe but the staff seemed very tired and just didn't seem to care. Like I said, could have been a bad night but I would expect more for the money. disappointed......sadly. I will point our a positive; the pineapple, basil non-alcoholic drinks was quite yummy!

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

A bit spendy but worth it. The French Onion soup is amazingly good, makes a great meal with a salad. Small portions for their entrees, but delicious. Local produce, fish and meats makes this a great stop in waimea. I love their poke, it's always fresh. Don't skip dessert, the banana cream pie is to die for!