“Disappointed with the appetizer and service”

The Fish and The Hog
Ranked #7 of 71 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: Barbecue, Hawaiian, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Honokaa, Hawaii
“Disappointed with the appetizer and service”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We've eaten here regularly since The Fish and the Hog opened. Today we ordered the Roasted Beet Salad as an appetizer for $ 8.00. Our main course was the Rueben and Pulled Pork Sandwiches. When the beet salad arrived, my wife and I just looked at each other. The plate consisted of 2 each, 2 inch in diameter, quarter inch thick slices of beet, 2 each, 2.5 inch in diameter, quarter inch thick yellow tomato slices and some chopped lettuce. I'm sorry, that doesn't constitute a roasted beet salad in any way... and to pay $ 8.00 for it. The sandwiches were still great with hand cut fries and cole slaw.

Our waitress was cordial and pleasant but failed in being attentive. My wife ordered Iced Tea and I had water. We were there for 45 minutes and the waitress never once asked if we wanted a refill. After the main courses arrived, the service really went south. I'm not the demanding/nitpicking type and when it comes to service, I'm very accommodating. Her lack of attentiveness caused me to focus on her service to the surrounding tables. I suspect two tables were people she knew because she gave them excellent service while ignoring us. The waitress provided refills to those tables. Maybe we can chalk it up to just a bad day but, if it happens again...

1 Thank Mouselips46

Honokaa, Hawaii, United States
“Great Food - Poor Service”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As usual the food was delicious - this time the service was miserable.

There appeared to be one server for the lunch service so yes she was busy. That being said her being busy was no excuse for the total lack of service we received. While at our table she was friendly, but the moment she walked away it was as if our table disappeared. We saw her only when she brought the food to the table and then she was gone. However, the men at the table near us and the table who appeared to be filled with her friends were serviced properly. We couldn't get refills on drinks while at the same time she repeatedly went to the other tables to refill water and ask if anything was needed.

My other concern was with the quantity of a "special" salad for which they charged $8. The salad consisted of 2 slices of a large tomato, 2 slices of a small beet, 1 teaspoon of feta cheese, maybe 1/4 cup of romaine lettuce and some dressing. Seriously. . .$8. If they had $2 of ingredients I would be shocked. I don't begrudge any establishment making a profit but this was over the top. The regular menu items are very reasonably priced so was shocked at this special.

We go often to The Fish and The Hog, but I will never again order anything but the regular menu items - not willing to be ripped off by their "specials". I hope this issue with service is just a waitress having a bad day so we don't have to strike this restaurant from our list of "go to" establishments.

1 Thank Katrina F
Topeka, KS
“We stopped because my hubby was amused by their sign”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's right on the main highway and easy to find, and we drove by it a couple of times before we stopped. My hubby laughed every time he saw the sign... he just loved the name of this place. However, when we finally stopped to go inside, it's just another typical place... but kudos for them for their great marketing!

Visited February 2013
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Third time a charm....”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The sign in front now read the The Fish and The Hog a.k.a. Hule Sue's. This makes it the third restaurant in this location in one year. The originial Hule Sue's was replaced last spring by the ill-conceived Allen's Table. Take away the pretentious menu and white clothes to expose the shabby chic tables and it's back to Hule Sue's....thank goodness. Three of us had the mixed BBQ plate consisting of pulled pork, ribs, brisket, and a sausage. The portion was large and well prepared -- altho the brisket was a tad dry. The thin-cut fries accompanying the dish were among the best I've ever had. Also accompanying the entree was a delicious slaw ...something I rarely find appealing. The fourth in the party had fish and chips, which were described as wonderful. Hule Sue's was known for it desserts and, of course, we had to sample them all. The lilikoi cheese cake had a wonderful flavor in the cheese layer, but needed a bit more sweetener in the glaze. The banana cream pie was excellent, but the chocolate cake was slightly below par. It's now worth the drive from Kailua to have lunch or dinner in Waimea. Thanks for bring HS back.

• Visited March 2013
“Great service, food, and atmosphere!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We lucked upon The Fish and the Hog by literally pulling up in front of it by accident--we were simply stopping for a moment to adjust plans because the weather suddenly turned dismal. I looked up saw the sign and declared we were having early dinner! There was only one other table filled when we arrived around 5 on a weeknight, which meant extra great service for us. We ordered widely from the menu: the wings are extraordinary, house made bacon is fab, grilled romaine salad is a revelation, house made sausage was spicy and rich, french onion soup was comforting and richly flavored. Even the lemonade was great! Plus, the restaurant itself is quaint and full of personality--like the staff and food--priced like a less expensive place, feels like a more expensive one. Highly recommend!

• Visited February 2013