“Excellent thanksgiving dinner!”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Hawaiian, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family lives in the area and we visited for thanksgiving since there were 11 of us, it was decided that we would have thanksgiving dinner out. My sister- in- law met with the owners of the restaurant several days before and had everything pre-ordered. The meal started with a Caesar salad, Waldorf salad,poki,cream of mushroom soup,creamed eggs,corn souffle, garlic potatoes,green beans and carrots and stuffing ,turkey and gravy topped off with pumpkin pie. Every plate was of gourmet quality. The service was excellent and the owner/ chef came to our table to assure everything was satisfactory. I don't know what their regular menu consists of but if it anything like the meal we had you can't go wrong. There was also a celebrity and her family of 12 at the table next to us and we received the same quality service. I would recommend this place.
Give it a try.. It is a very casual place and doesn't look like much from the outside..

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I read about Huli Sue's in TripAdvisor last year, and made a point to visit it when my brother and sister-in-law were here last year. But things had changed back in October '11. The place had closed for re-modeling. When it re-opened, it still had the Huli Sue's sign out front, but there was no "Sampler" on the menu. The wait staff explained that the restaurant was now owned by Chef Allen, and the menu was totally different. On a later trip through Waimea, I noticed that the name had changed to "Allen's Table". A bit later, there was a new sign out: "The Fish & The Hog". When a friend came for a visit from California last month, we decided to drop in there to try it out. It turns out that the original owner of Huli Sue's had gotten the restaurant back and was adding seafood to the menu, hence the new name. She said she planned to add "a.k.a. Huli Sue's" to the sign to try to bring back the old clientele. My friend and I shared the Sampler, and tested both kinds of the BBQ sauce. The sauces are very similar, but the "paniolo" is less sweet and perhaps the best BBQ sauce we've ever had. Although the Sampler left us with a full feeling, I remember the old reviews of the banana cream pie and was determined to try it out. We were appalled by the huge size of the piece served. We should have left half of it behind, but it was SO delicious, we kept at it until it was all gone. Since we shared one entree and one dessert, the bill came out to less than $20 apiece for a spectacular meal. My friend is coming back around Christmas and we'll DEFINITELY be returning to The Fish & The Hog.

1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Let me begin by saying we have tried to eat here for 3 years that is when it was called Huli Sues, but one year they were closed the day we went and the next they were closed for remodeling so this year we finally got to go only to notice they changed names. I actually wish they would have been closed it would have saved us the expense of a terrible meal. I had the BBq beef brisket sandwich and my husband had the pork. My husband said is pork as just average but my brisket was the worst it had a strange taste to it and the worst was it was so tuff you couldn't chew it let alone even cut it with a knife. Horrible Food and we learned we hadn't been missing anything the past three years.

1  Thank aberfitchgr534
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stopped here during our first trip to the Big Island, not knowing what to expect, and were pleasantly surprised. It's on the way out of town, we didn't want to wait at the "more popular" spots like Merrimans, etc. and decided to drop in to give a try. The service was very quick and very friendly, and the owner made a special point to come over to talk with us. We founds that her brother runs a charter boat, so their fish was caught that morning - talk about fresh!! I had the fish, while my wife had the BBQ, with homeade dill cole slaw - awesome! Their sauces are incredible, and gave use samples to try before deciding.

Even though we were stuffed, we sampled their homemade desserts.Banana cream pie is their specialty - Awesome job!!!

I will never wait in town again....

1  Thank VAtravelr
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Pretty disappointing experience for 4 kids and 2 adults. Took the family for BBQ on our last night in HI and had overpriced, mediocre food in small portions. Because they don't have a children's menu, the server suggested we split their fish and chips and BBQ sampler between the 4 kids. When the food came, it was only enough for two of the kids! We ordered a hamburger to give them more food and the server brought it out in a to-go box! Then we got to pay for our disappointment - over $120! No alcohol or dessert in the total! I have to say that there weren't many other children in the restaurant (just babies/toddlers), so the locals must know not to bring them.

2  Thank NancyF3