“they blew it big time”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Many in Kona told us about this place, even loaned us a growler to fill. It's Saturday afternoon. Small place. We walked in and seated ourselves (party of 5) at the only available place- 4 tables put together banquet style for maybe a party of 10. Every bar stool was filled.There were 3 tables occupied and a table for 2 open. Server brought us menus, chips and salsa. The end. That's it. She and the bartender completely ignored us for at least 15 minutes. No beer, no food. A guy came in, sat down at the only unoccupied table, was served chips... and immediately a beer. I about lost it, my family kept me calm. I took the growler to the bar and asked for a fill. The server was standing there and asked: "did you want some food or something?" Not anymore, I replied. Then, $22.50 for the fill. Really? "Oh, that was YOUR growler? It's only $14.xx." Handed it to me. No thank you, nothing. I smiled, turned and left- with elevated blood pressure. Sucks to see indifference.

2  Thank dmogie

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We are huge craft beer lovers and were excited to hear about this brewery! After reading some of the reviews we almost didn't go but since it was on our way to Akaka Falls, we made a last minute decision to give it a try. We are so glad that we did!! The beer was excellent and we really enjoyed the atmosphere! We only ordered an appetizer for the kids but it was yummy along with the chips and salsa. We were there right when it opened at 11am and found the service to be great. Loved this place and enjoyed it more than Kona Brewery. Felt less commercialized and more authentic.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is not a fancy, touristy, place but the beer and the food were great! I recommend getting a flight of beer before you choose one. Go early for dinner because seating is limited. The place was busy and noisy; not spotless, but fun!

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Well the only reason I stopped to try some beer. Due to good friends recommended this place. I was so disappointed on how many beers they were out of and it took 25 mins to fill my growler. Seriously! That was the first and last time I'll ever set foot in that place.

2  Thank BigIslandlocal56
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were driving from Hilo to Kona and knew Waimea would be our respite for dinner, but had no destination in mind until we happened upon Big Island Brewhaus. It's a casual place with limited indoor seating, but plenty of covered outdoor seating and a large assortment of brews. My kids were disappointed that their brewed root beer was unavailable after seeing it on the menu. My husband had one of the beer samplers and enjoyed it; I had a lilikoi margarita on the the rocks and loved it. The burritos were huge -- we couldn't quite finish them after enjoying chips and salsa before dinner. As we dined, we noticed a number of locals coming and going, based on how they greeted and spoke with each other. Our server was not very friendly, but she was attentive. I'm happy we found BIB and would eat there again.