“Bland, overpriced food.”

Charley's Thai Cuisine
Ranked #25 of 72 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We called in a to go order of papaya salad (mild for our daughter) and vegetarian pad thai (medium for us.) The food was very bland. Our pad thai had no spice and the tofu that was in it looked and tasted disgusting. Most thai restaurants we have been to here on the island at least fry up the tofu, but this looked like they just took the soft kind, cut it up and threw it in the dish. The papaya salad was extremely generic. If you're on the big island and looking for good Thai food, skip this place. Go to Hilo. That's where the real thai food is. Try Somsamai's on Furneaux street.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We are blessed in the Seattle with dozens of excellent Thai restaurants, six within two miles of where I live. Charley's Thai Cuisine location in the Queens Marketplace in Waikoloa wouldn't survive in Seattle because the Thai recipies they use (if any) result in poor quality results. I say that because we've ordered Chicken Pad Thai, a very common menu item, at every Thai restaurant we've been to and Charley's just isn't up to par. It's as though they left an ingredient out. Our Tom Kha Gai soup contained very little coconut milk, being more like a weak broth. The service was less than reasonable and that when the restaurant wasn't more than half full of patrons. Four of us agree that Charley's Thai Cuisine is not a restaurant we would recommend to anyone. IMHO the rating 'Terrible' is justified.

1  Thank overthehill79
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I enjoy Thai food and have eaten at Thai restaurants all over the world (US, Germany, Taiwan, etc) and have rarely been disappointed. My winning streak came to an end at this restaurant. I had their Tom Yum Gorang soup which was spicy but watery. I tried a dish called Spicy Calamari which consisted of a watery gruel with what seemed like canned vegetables and rubbery calamari. The dishes that my wife and daughter had were equally bad. To add insult to injury, the restaurant does not serve beer or wine, but you can go to a nearby store to buy some and bring it in. My advice-avoid this restaurant!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nice thai flavors while incorporating hawaiian ingredients into the dishes. We had a mahi mahi dish that was outstanding. This is a great meal for under $20 in Hawaii. Can't go wrong.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is an absolutely charming-looking restaurant and the menu looked good. I said I wanted NO SPICE, that I wanted my food very mild. The vegetables were so spicey my mouth burned after eating a few of them, and my husband didn't even try them. We told the waitress. The whole time we were in the restaurant she was very serious. No compensation. No satisfaction. Just high prices, small portions, and unsatisfactory service. Would not go there again.