“Slipping Downhill Just a Bit”
Review of Monstera

Monstera
Reserve with OpenTable
Monstera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 74 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaniku Drive
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My second time there. Hostess led us to a crummy table inside and never asked if we wanted to sit outside. Should be given the option. The wooden chairs are hard as a rock with no cushion and hurt my bum and back. I ordered seafood baked in a Papaya and it was OK, not great. The California Roll was good, not great. Wife ordered Shashimi and it was fresh. Somehow, this place has lost its zest and has gone downhill a bit. The waiter was friendly and attentive, but something about Monstera leads me to believe it is slipping downhill. Alot of children, many crying. I dont think kids like Sushi much? I may be wrong.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I found this place quite by accident on vacation and was not disappointed. The freshness and quality of the fish was exceptional. They even have fresh grated wasabi available which is unheard of where I live.
They routinely carry chutoro which was excellent. Everything was expertly prepared, this is seriously one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever been to, it easily makes the top 3.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

During a recent family trip to the Big Island, we decided to try Monstera after reading the positive reviews. Yes, it's on the 2nd floor of the Mauni Lani shops near the Fairmont with no real view. But, that's the only negative we could find. In fact, the food is so outstanding that I'd go here no matter where it was located. Our fav was the Monstera Chicken. Reservations are a must during busy times (we were there Xmas to New Year's). After many trips to the BI over the last 20 years, this is by far the best restaurant on the island.

3  Thank Travel-Fan-10101
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Last summer my family and I dined twice at this funky, relaxed restaurant.

Monstera is clearly a popular place to eat, and we were forced to realise that Americans treat 'reservations' slightly differently to us Brits! I really moaned about waiting and the poor maitre d was absolutely lovely, despite my blatant 'I'm so hungry' rudeness!

Once sat, we were treated so well by our server, who was incredibly knowledgeable about everything on the menu, and was able to offer us suggestions. No question was a problem.

The food was ridiculously good. It was fresh and bursting with flavour. We loved it, and I promise not to wax lyrical about it for too long, but that Tuna roll...

Fingers crossed the server with the most beautiful dreadlocks is still there, what a fab guy he is. My daughter and would have ordered anything he told us to!

Go! It's brill, oh and if you so say sorry to that poor maitre d for me!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've dined at Monstera several times and usually try to sit at the sushi bar where we really enjoy watching Norio and the chefs at work. This year four of us were seated in a cozy booth. Being New Year's Eve we did have to wait about a half an hour to be seated but were able to get a place at the bar while waiting. Felt sorry for staff who were doing the best they could to accommodate everyone after a few very impatient people were rude and unkind. Get a grip, people...you're on vacation in Hawaii!! Anyway, enjoyed a fabulous meal and great service!

2  Thank Vicki J