“Real Sushi”
Review of Monstera

Monstera
Reserve with OpenTable
Monstera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 72 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaniku Drive
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I visited Monstera twice, and it was exceptional both times.

Sushi Bar - I asked the Chef to prepare a mostly sushi menu for $60. Best decision ever.

I've eaten at sushi restaurants many times before - but this was eye opening. Each element of each dish was amazing. Each type of fish offered was incredibly fresh (after talking with some other chefs on the island Norio is known for having the freshest fish available - that is what extensive time in the industry can do).
Also each fish was actually unique, with distinct flavor - no wild sauces needed.
I recommend this restaurant to get an idea of how amazing fish can actually be.

They offer many cocktails - with different bases such as vodka etc. I highly recommend their Shochu cocktails - their bartender does with beverages what their Chef does with food - highlights interesting properties with delicacy.

And beyond all of the above I still find myself craving one of their items the "Chuck Norris Roll" - a riceless roll with tuna, and real crab wrapped in nori, then tempura fried, and sliced. I could eat two of those for dinner once a week for a long time.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Monstera is a Japanese restaurant tucked away upstairs in an upscale resort mall. It's a crowded, small room, with a small sushi bar. There are no views whatsoever. Prices are what you come to expect in this resort area.

We ate here on two occasions, and found that the menu and specials, and the waiter's spiel in describing them, didn't vary much. What you get is good fresh sushi and sashimi in reasonable quantities, a variety of tempura, a choice of several sakes and beers, and a fairly generic but reasonably satisfying meal.

I wouldn't personally return, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try if it's convenient to where you're staying.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We wen't with the waiters suggestions with no regrets ..

The sushi was a little meager on the portions (compared to some of the other sushi places nearby) but all was top notch and great tasting. it was pricier, but I still can't bring myself to take off any stars because it was so good. I'd say we went here for a 'special occasion' and kept the other places near by as our 'usual sushi' dinners.

We had some sashimi that was all local fresh fish. it was a daily special so not sure you can always get it.

The waiter was extremely knowlegeable and helpful in getting us to try some of the best plates (perhaps this is another reason it was so expensive .. haha... but it was worth it!)

There was as seared tuna salad that was also fantastic

All in all.. I would go back and recommend it highly.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Upstairs at the The Shops at Mauna Lani, Monstera is a wonderful sushi and noodle restaurant. Our server Robert was very helpful in explaining the menu and aiding in our selections. It was all delicious, but most unusual was the baked scallop dish. You must try it if you go there!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

One of the best Japanese dining experience we ever had. The wait staff was very knowledgeable. The food came quickly and it was very tasty. A little on the pricy side but considering it is in Mauna Lani where everything is a notch up compared to the other nearby resorts, I would say they have reasonable prices.

1  Thank Anna M