“Dough like cardboard”

Ranked #11 of 73 Restaurants in Waimea
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Title says it all about the pizza. Too bad because they are nice people and try hard. Everything is expensive in Hawaii but $75 for 2 salads a large pizza and dessert. The dessert - a berry tart w granola on top wasn't much better than the pizza. Not worth it.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

It was ok if you like pre-made dried crust. We went at lunch and it was counter service only which was fine. I was a little concerned about the fact that everyone was doing everything... cooking, cleaning, selling. Tables were slow to get cleaned. Drinks were in cans or bottles and the guy that filled the glass with ice, dipped the glass into the box of ice, directly after taking our money. In other words, without washing his hands, basically contaminating all the ice.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Hmmm. I think I would award a 3.5 if possible. The good....well that's the food and the friendliness of the staff. I haven't had anything I didn't like here. Basically I've purchased pizza and salads. Everything tasty and made to order. One salad with the fish selection of the day on top of it, quite nice, one Vinter's and then another I can't quite recall. When the pizza / salad special of the day wasn't quite what I wanted they offered the standard sauce/cheese pizza instead (you get three slices plus salad on the side). I love the crust, very thin and tasty.

So why is this a mixed review? The bad....unfortunately the glass they gave me for iced tea was filthy, had lipstick stains and some pulpy stuff on it. Probably wasn't washed at all. Dishes at tables near-by were not cleaned, exactly what the previious reviewer said, and I was also there when the lunch crowd was gone.

The people are very nice, service was prompt, value was good for the portions received. Would I go back? Yes. I'll just take a very close look at the glass & utensils.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stopped at Pau for a late lunch. Five in our group. A friend had recommended their pizza. Almost all the tables had dirty plates and hadn't been cleaned from their lunch rush. There was only one other customer in the restaurant. You order at the counter and the female staff member was slow to acknowledge me waiting. We ordered two large pizzas. This is not traditional pizza. Crusts were very thin and one pizza was burned all around the edges but they actually tasted good. The tables around us remained dirty through our lunch. The staff was unfriendly.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Ono was excellent entree and chocolate mousse was decadent! The location is perfect since it is at the bottom of the hill from the B&B. Our host is an excellent source for where to eat in Hilo and Kona, as well.