See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 19, 2005

Owner/Host, Richard, is a friendly guy. The house does show its age. Because of the wet climate in Kamuela, there's a musky odor throughout the house. Housekeeping can also be improved. Little spiders (mostly of the Daddy Long Leg variety) can be found in many places like the bathroom, behind the small fireplace, etc. which should have been rid of by whomever Richard hires to clean the place. If I can see these spiders, I know Housekeeping/Richard can.

The Daily 'breakfast' is also a bit to be desired. What happens is, a muffin/loaf and a small dish of berries and cream (1 ea for every guest) is placed in the fridge the day before. Doesn't look too apealing.
Richard does try to take care of the place, but when he paints over the TV trim along with other furniture, it really smells of paint because of the humidity, it takes forever to dry.

If you're used to staying in hotels and if you want to try staying at this 'B&B' house, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

My recommendation, stay in a hotel.

9  Thank Adventure25183
Reviewed December 28, 2004

This place was fine. It was hard to describe--a little weird. There were many nice aspects to this place. A beautiful lanai with a trickling waterfall was nice to eat breakfast on and watch the sun glint off the observatories on top of the mountain. The host was very nice and accomodating. He did the dishes, made the beds and brought quite good breakfasts each day. The biggest complaint is that the very nice host, Richard, likes to rise early and play with a dog that barks loudly and shuffles across the floor early in the morning. Overall the place was clean, reasonably comfortable and a great price.

5  Thank Adventurer10572
Reviewed December 6, 2004

I am opening a Cafe in Kamuela and have stayed in several motels and small Inns. Mauna Kea View is a view Inn wih Parker Ranch right outside your door and huge Mauna Kea. It is very quiet and clean.
My cottage had hardwood floors and open beam ceiling, even a bay window. Many thoughtful touches. I will stay again next time.Lars

4  Thank Inspiration36064
Reviewed October 31, 2004

We just spent 3 weeks at Mauna Kea View while building our new home here. Very comfortable with many extra ammenities to feel at home.
Their location is among the most beautiful in Kamuela (believe me, we spent many tips looking ourselves). Wonderful views of Mauna Kea and
huge Parker Ranch. Richard, the owner, is a retired manager from Parker Ranch and was helpful on advice. A very quiet & units quite private.
I will recommend this property to my visiting friends and relatives

3  Thank Pioneer30499
Reviewed July 29, 2004

Stayed at Mauna Kea View during a recent reunion In Kamuela and was very happy I choose this B & B. It was large enough to have my family have dinner with us there. The view was great and very quiet. Lots of extra nice things like pineapple fountain on our private deck. Only place I've stayed with its own fireplace in the living room. The owners were very nice and we had the privacy I was after. Best of luck for many more years !

Sean