“Our Dream Honeymoon: The Palms Cliff House Inn is Paradise”

The Palms Cliff House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honomu
Reviewed July 8, 2010

(Please read, because I will "debunk" some of the negative reviews below! ) In the future, whenever I am having a stressful day at work I will close my eyes and return to this place in my mind-because it encapsulates majestic beauty, elegance and peace. When my husband and I pulled into the driveway of The Palms Cliff Inn I was immediately captivated by the gorgeous house which is situated right above the ocean. In every direction there is breathtaking beauty.

The hostess, Tracy, at the front desk was extremely kind and helpful-giving us all kinds of information about the surrounding area. When my husband and I walked into the room (The Orchid Room-Room 1), I walked in and looked around at the gorgeous bed, the spa bathtub, the elegant fireplace and our amazing patio with ocean view, I choked up and shed a few tears. It was PERFECT! It was decorated in a way that honors Hawaiian history ( red velvet bedspread, feathered fans by the posts, pictures of Hawaiian royalty. It was reminiscent of the rooms in the Huline'e Palace that we toured on the Kona side of the island.

We slept every night with just the screen door open and enjoyed the ocean breeze and the ambient sounds of the waves rolling in. The bed was comfortable, the bathtub was wonderful and most importantly the place was quiet. No noise, just peace and beauty. It was like something out of a dream.

Every morning we had breakfast on the expansive porch sipping Kona coffee and enjoying the view of golden sun on the rippling ocean waves. We also had delicious breakfasts. Michelle was extremely hospitable and eager to make sure that we were having an enjoyable stay. She made and served breakfast, herself, every morning; we especially enjoyed the breadfruit dish (ulu) and also the apple banana pancakes that she made for us. We are vegetarians and we know that can be hard for some chefs, but everything Michelle made was excellent.

Our stay there was lovely.

Now to refute some of the negative allegations put out there about the place:

1.) This is NOT a big resort hotel. This is a bed & breakfast. There is a difference! If you enjoy big buffet meals, luaus, entertainment and extensive housekeeping you need to book yourself a reservation at a big hotel in Hilo. Bed & Breakfasts are for those people who want a tranquil, quiet place to stay. I cannot believe people who are complaining that the Inn doesn't provide more entertainment, more meals and take issue with a list of rules. Typically, too, this type of venue is for couples. The person who said they feel like they are "sneaking home late at night" is apparently not accustomed to peaceful silence.

2.) The list of rules is not off-putting when you realize that in order to keep The Palms Cliff House Inn clean, quiet and elegant you can't be tromping on the floor in dirty shoes or talking loudly on your cell phone at breakfast ruining everyone else's experience. Again if you are used to being "spoiled" by a hotel-you need to go there. The housekeeping was excellent for a B&B. Honestly, we read over the rules once and really didn't feel like we were on our guard the whole time at all. If you have an issue taking off your shoes to enter a room or house-you are not participating in a traditional Hawaiian & Asian custom that is really not that big of an issue. C'mon.

3.) Bed & Breakfast means just "breakfast"-it says so in the description. Sigh. How do people not understand this!? Hilo is maybe 10-15 minutes away and there are plenty of places around for lunch and dinner that are good. There is a small refrigerator in each room and my husband and I kept fruit and other snack items there in case we wanted any food in the interim. I was surprised to read reviews complaining that there was no lunch or supper. The inn also has a number of snacks in the lounge area for sale, which are very reasonably priced if you run out of food.

4.) Owners: We never saw or met John (not sure if he was there) but Michelle was just the kindest person. She recommended some activities for us to do around the area which were excellent and was very helpful about giving us the "inside information" about what times to go, what to wear and bring along etc. I cannot believe anyone would think she was either cold or overly friendly (both things that I read in reviews here). It is obvious that she loves her work running the B&B and it is clear that she is "hands-on" in every aspect of it. From reading the reviews on here, I can imagine it must be hard to deal with some guests and their demanding, spoiled attitudes. I'll wager she is kind but firm in those situations. I saw her chatting merrily with other guests as well as my husband and I-no is issues, whatsoever.

The Palms Cliff House Inn is a wonderful place to stay-and is for those who wish to enjoy peace and beauty in a picturesque, quiet area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cafegirl77
There are newer reviews for The Palms Cliff House Inn

Reviewed May 9, 2010

This is indeed my favorite place to stay in the world and I have been to a lot of places. Any time I get a chance to come here I do--the rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and the breakfasts are generously portioned and delicious. But best of all you get to listen to the ocean waves all night; best sleep ever! Free DVD rental is a plus when the satellite tv isn't catching.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kealaokapua, Owner at The Palms Cliff House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2010

Mahalo for your kind comments about our Inn. We are so pleased to hear you continue to enjoyed staying at our Inn. I hope you get to return again soon!

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Though the place is very nice, we were disappointed by the hospitality. In this place you are charged for every extra, like a cup of coffee if not during the breakfast hours, or the internet connection, which is kind of ridicolous when you pay 340 USD per night...

We stayed in other places in Hawaii paying the same price or less but where the owners made us feeling like home.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PAOLOO

As our web site indicates, we charge $10.00 for a five day wifi pass. The average cost on the Big Island is $15.00 per day for wifi access. We provide free dial up access and most guests find that they can use their iphone, ipad, kindle, and other smart devices to connect through their own services.

We offer a snack shop for the convenience of our guests. We offer a selection of specialty coffee drinks, sodas, juice, water, soups, microwave dinners, crackers, spreads, nuts, and meats. There is a nominal fee for each item.

We are glad to hear you thought our Inn was nice, but sorry to hear you interpreted our fee services as a lack of hospitality. So far I’d only heard positive feedback from guests. We will certainly take your comments into account in the future when selecting new services/conveniences to offer to our guests.

Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed at the Palms Cliff House Inn for two nights on a recent stay to the Big Island. The inn is fantastic. The grounds are very beautiful, rooms are comfortable, breakfast is outstanding and the views are unforgettable. We felt very relaxed during our entire stay there. It was so peaceful laying in bed listening to the waves crash ashore just below you. We were even fortuate enough to see two whales jumping out of the water in the bay. Thank you to the owners for keeping such a beautiful place, and thank you for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

You’re welcome! It was fun having you here and I really hope we will get to see you again some day. I’ll speak to the whales about and encore, ok?

Reviewed March 25, 2010

This is a place you see in the movies - the majestic view of the ocean and cliffs outside your room is magnificent. Falling asleep to the peaceful sound of the ocean waves hitting the rocks below is unforgettable. The breakfast each morning is wonderful and the service is wonderful! This is the place you go to get away from it all and lose yourself in a fantasy world of beauty and wonder!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Mahalo! (Thank You) You seem to have hit on every one of the key points we try to provide guests. By the way, beautiful photo of the Bay at sunrise. You know what... I still pinch myself each morning to see if I’m living a dream! No kidding. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, and I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed February 11, 2010

There are not alot of nice places to stay near the Hilo area, this was a nice place. Accordingly they were more expensive than lodging you can find in other areas of the Big Island. The rooms were clean, spacious, and afforded nice views. We were comfortable and relaxed. Be warned, the roosters start up at 3am so for those who live in the suburbs it will be a shock to hear them in the still of the night.

If you want a B&B experience where the owners are showering you with attention this is not that place. If you want a good meal, great room and relaxed environment and price is not an issue, this is the palce to be!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Alas, roosters and chickens are feral (wild and roaming free) here on the Big Island. Every now and again one will wonder by and take up residence. It can take us a few days to entice one into a trap (humanely) and re-locate them (to a farm far, far, away) So I hope the rooster did not cause too much disruption during your stay.

Our rural location provides an opportunity to see many more native hawaiian birds such as the Pueo (Hawaiian Owl), Io (Hawaiian Hawk), Portuguese Pheasants, and occasionally wild pig and piglets (don’t worry...they are more afraid of you than you are of them). In the Bay you can see Spinner Dolphin year round and whales between November and April.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I’m delighted you enjoyed my cooking. Mahalo!

Reviewed January 31, 2010

Having just returned from a 3 night stay in the Palms Cliff House, I wanted to share my experience. This is truly an exceptional B&B with lots of attention to detail and a warm and friendly staff. John does an excellent job in the kitchen with a bountiful breakfast each morning and Michele is out and about either in the garden or working magic on the computer. The availability of WiFi is very welcome! The beautiful grounds of the property take second place only to the fantastic vistas of the ocean and the passing whales each morning. Air conditioning was not needed as the Pacific breeze kept the room at night quite cozy. In short, the Palms Cliff House is everything a first class B&B should be.....and John and Michele take it to the next level with the help of their staff, especially Tracy at the front desk. Thanks to all for a really great time and I'll be back later this year! Well done!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo

Mahalo for recognizing the hard work of my staff, I would be nowhere without them! Thank you as well for the wonderful review. We try very hard to provide a quality product for all our guests, but then that product is the labor of love it can be difficult stand back and evaluate how well we are doing. I look forward to your return visit later this year, just in time to watch for more whales?

Also consider these accommodations in or near Honomu
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Dolphin Bay
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 7 in Hilo
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to The Palms Cliff House Inn? Share your experiences!