The Palms Cliff House Inn
    Honoka'a Club(Honokaa)
    Average 3/5
    Chalet Kilauea(Volcano)
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewsakaka fallsb btropical dreamsthe big islandquichebotanical gardenstropical decorbay windowhilo areaoverlooking the oceanbreakfast was deliciousbreakfast areajacuzzi tubcovered patiolovely lanaiour honeymoonbed and breakfast
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed January 5, 2009

Having stayed here, I can not fathom for the life of me anyone having anything negative to say about this place, or the owners.

The breakfasts are out of this world (and are made with local ingredients). The property is gorgeous and the owners treated us like family.

WARNING: this is an UPSCALE place for people SEEKING QUIET (they don't accept kids under the age of 13), and this is NOT a party place. We were very glad that they do not allow loud congregations past a certain hour which one of the reviewers griped about.

While we were there, a couple moved in next door and blasted their TV. John (one of the owners) asked then to quiet down. The next day at breakfast, this couple were extremely rude to the staff--they obviously resented it and did not do their homework. The resort also explicitly states their refund policy and that people should let them know in advance if they have food issues (for the reviewers griping about these issues).

No trip to the big isle is complete without a stay on the Hilo side because that is where all the rainforests and waterfalls are. Kona has the white sand beaches. We stayed on BOTH sides of the island and HIGHLY recommend this approach.

To the people upset about the "no smoking" signs--it is our understanding that is required by Hawaii law (and they are very clear and upfront about their nonsmoking policy).

I can't believe some people penalized this place for the weather in their reviews--unbelievable. This is a MAGNIFICENT place.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    5  Thank caocgal
    Reviewed November 9, 2008

OK this place was absalutely amazing!!! My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our 12 day stay on the big island. The place was immaculate, beautiful and peaceful. The room was super comfy and clean. The owners were professional, helpful and friendly, they offered great dining reccomendations and they held all of our luggage for us on our check out day so we could enjoy hilo without worrying about our jeep getting broke into. I can not say enough great things about the place, the view was spectacular the sunrises are to die for, and dare I say they put the Kona sunsets to shame. The breakfast was fabulous, the dvd selection was great and the TV was awesome too, not that we watched alot of tv but it was nice to have the choice.

I read the reviews before we booked here and was a little skeptical because of a few bad ones. All I can say is I dont know how anyone could not just love this place, I think those people must be the kind of people who are always looking for whats wrong with something instead of whats right with it.

This is not the place for wild parties or kids, or activities on site, but this is the perfect place to get away, relax and just enjoy the beauty of Hawaii and the company of who ever your traveling with.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
      • Check in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    4  Thank bonemender
    Reviewed June 10, 2008

WOW! What a great place. My husband and I flew into Kona, drove through Volcanoes National Park, drove to the coast to see the lava flow into the ocean, then drove to the Palms Cliff House. This was an amazing little inn.

Upon pulling up to the inn, you drive down a long driveway and realize that the inn sits on a piece of land surrounded by the rainforest. The rooms are immaculate and very upscale. The lanai is very large and has nice comfortable chairs. We stayed in Suite 7 – Tropical Splendor, our view was unbelievable. Also, from this side of the island you can watch the sun rise over the ocean.

We had gotten to the hotel a little after 10 p.m., which we had alerted the Inn to in advance. As promised, our key was left in the mail box and we escorted ourselves to the room. We were really impressed. When I made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating anything and I indicated it was going to be our anniversary – I thought it was so nice that there was a happy anniversary card waiting for us on our bed along with a box of cookies when we arrived.

Before coming to this hotel we stayed at the Sheraton Maui and were disappointed to see the patio doors did not have screens, so we couldn’t leave the doors open at night to listen to the ocean. I was very happy to see that the Palms Cliff House did have screens and a large ceiling fan so we could listen to the ocean and feel the breeze as we slept. The only drawback was at about 4 a.m. the wild roosters (yes, wild roosters. I said it was in the middle of the rainforest) started talking to each other and we needed to close the window and put on the AC.

Because we were still not used to the time change, we woke up about 6 a.m. the next morning and breakfast was not until 7:30. Since there was a coffee maker in the room, we made a pot of coffee and sat outside to enjoy the view.

Breakfast was wonderful. It is outside on the very large wrap around porch and you look right out onto the ocean. They served coffee, fresh local fruit, banana pancakes and sausage. We were very full when we were done and ready to start our day in Hilo.

As for the price, when we first made the reservation the rate was $375 + tax which we thought was pretty expensive but figured we’d splurge. About two months before we left, I went to their website and noticed they had posted some spring specials and the room was down to $195. The Inn charged me a $50 cancellation fee, but gave me the $195 rate. So, keep an eye out for specials, and even if there aren’t any, $375 isn’t as bad as it sounds when you keep in mind you get breakfast (which would probably cost you $60 in Hawaii), free parking, and there isn’t $25 resort fee like some of the other hotels in Maui and Waikiki.

Before arriving at the Inn we said since we saw the volcano, there would probably be no need to go back to the Big Island on a future trip. However, after staying at the Palms Cliff House, we’d go back to the Big Island just for the opportunity to spend a little more time there!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    6  Thank Klynn81
    Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband and I originally booked our reservations for January, 2009. A four night stay.

Minimum deposit for that stay was $570.+,which included taxes, which is half of the total cost for the four day stay.

However, after reading many reviews on this site, as well as others, we chose to cancel our reservations, and book elsewhere.

Upon doing that, we contacted The Palms Cliff House and were promptly told that they were going to keep a full 10% as a cancellation fee, as well as keep the taxes, which brought the total they kept for themselves out of our initial deposit to $114.05.

We got $456 and change back out of $570 and we never set foot there. Now they say no exceptions for cancellations but I find this really ridiculous. And taxes for services that were never given?

Keep this in mind if you choose to book with this property.

• Stayed: May 2008
    19  Thank makauff2
    Reviewed March 5, 2008

When the group we were traveling with visited the Big Island, my wife and I decided to spend an extra day on our own. Our daughter had recommended the Palms Cliff House, as she had had a terrific experience there the summer before.

What a place! Beautiful spacious rooms in a peaceful setting with breathtaking views of ocean cliffs from the porch off our room. The room was immaculate and quiet. We were charmed by the decorating and the Hawaiian feel.

The hosts were very friendly, genuine and knowledgeable,and made us feel at home. The breakfast was interesting and delicious, and included different Hawaiian fruit each morning. It was served on a lovely lanai overlooking the cliffs and the ocean.

We have recommended this place to other friends, and we are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2005