“Beautiful Inn”
Review of Waipio Wayside B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honokaa
Waipio Wayside B&B
Ranked #2 of 5 Honokaa B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Beautiful Inn”
Reviewed December 30, 2008

The Waipio Wayside Inn has a lot of characters and all the rooms were beautiful. We stayed in the Plantation Room which was spacious and very clean. I loved the organic bath gel, hand soap and shampoon that Jacqueline provided for her guests. Breakfast was served in nice settings and was delicious. Jacqueline was very knowledgable and gave us good tips on travelling and shopping. If you are looking for a romantic and nice place to stay at on the Big Island - go there. You'll love it.

• Liked — The space and cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London
Reviewed September 23, 2008

This place was amazing. It looked like Martha Stewart had dreamt it up. Just so encanting. Our room was comfortable and charming.

The best bit is the breakfast thought. Jacqueline makes the most incredible breakfast for everyone and you all sit together. We ended up staying and chatting to a lovely couple from New York for hours.

I would thoroughly recommend this place if you are in the north of Big Island!

• Liked — The look and feel of it
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This place is a real gem, I am happy I found it on Frommer's and booked it! We stayed in the Bird's Eye suite. The Inn is beautiful and very clean, and we felt extremely comfortable and well taken care of. The gourmet organic breakfasts are so much fun, the tea bar is a nice touch, the hammock is great for stargazing, and Jacqueline the innkeeper is very friendly and welcoming. I am glad we stayed here because it really enhanced our experience on the Big Island, and would recommend it to anyone looking to get away.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2008

It's a long flight to the Big Island from Massachusetts, but the Waipai Wayside Inn which was my destination lodging was a comfortable and cozy destination. The breakfasts are legendary with local products the hallmark of the presentation. The view is spectacular. Beautiful spot.

• Liked — setting, food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I stayed here as the first stop on a long awaited birthday trip and could not have been more pleased. There's a saying on the BI that you're either Hiloside or Konaside, and after two visits, I know I'm a Konaside girl. I wanted somewhere tranquil and relaxing and this was a perfect choice for me.

Jackie upgraded me to the Chinese Room as a birthday treat (I was turning 50 during the trip) and was helpful with suggestions. My room was very nioce indeed. The breakfasts were yummy and I am the activity type so after a day riding in the valley and then heading up to see the sunset on Mauna Kea, I appreciated the dishes. The other guests were interesting to talk to and we all shared information and suggestions about future travels.

To answer the prior post, yes there ARE spider webs. I just ignored them---it's a part of life in the tropics, and if you must have 5 star amenities, there are plemty of fine resorts over near Kailua or Kohala for you to spend your money on. I'd rather be somewhere far from the madding crowd, as they say---but that's me. As for roosters, cows, and the odd koqui frog, it's a rural property and I'd much rather hear that than the 24/7 cacophony of, say, Waikiki. But it's all a matter of choice and for me, this was a fine one. My best memory is of sitting on the porch, coffee in hand (with one of the resident kittys) and watching a little gecko for about an hour. The prefect destresser!

• Liked — Being away from it all yet within 5 minutes drive to the local town
  • Disliked — I wish I could have stayed longer!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
shannonmcdrap
Reviewed May 4, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here very much! Yes, there were very large spider webs as we walked in, but the 1920s bungalow overlooking the ocean gave us the relaxing escape we needed. Our host was gracious and helpful. Her rooms were very tidy and comfortable. The breakfast was tasty and sitting together with other travelers at breakfast was a wonderful way to discover the island and plan our daily trips.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I'm not sure where to begin with this place. First of all, you arrive and immediately notice that there are spiderwebs (HUGE ONES) everywhere. I guess it's supposed to capture flying insects, but I'd honestly rather be eaten alive by mosquitos than have to walk through a cave of spiderwebs every time I walk through the front door or hang out on the back deck. The innkeeper was a little on the odd side and was not friendly at all. I felt like I was invading someones home when I walked into the house. It was dark and reminded me of my grandfathers house (not a good thing). Our room, the Library Room, did not have an actual door on the bathroom, only a screen as a partition. You had better be really comfortable with your travel companion if you stay in this room for this reason. There is also a cow that lives next door that likes to moo loudly at 4am. Also, the roosters in the area don't seem to get that crowing happens at sunrise, not the middle of the night. And beware, to add to the caucophony of night noises, there is a dog kennel within ear shot and they, too, like to bark their heads off in the dead of night. The innkeepers food suggestion in nearby Waimea was dismal (the one place in the local town is decent, however).

In short, don't stay here. It's a waste of money. Go to Waimea and make the drive if you want to visit Waipio valley (which is, by the way, remarkable).

Stayed March 2008
5 Thank permavacation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honokaa
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Jacaranda Inn
Jacaranda Inn
#4 of 8 in Waimea

Been to Waipio Wayside B&B? Share your experiences!