Waipio Wayside B&B
$425
Autograph
$289
  • Beachfront
Kohala Village Inn(Hawi)(Great Value!)
$126
$299
$417
Hilton.com
Hale Kukui(Honokaa)
All reviewschinese roomorganic breakfastbirds eyethe big islandlibrary roomother guestsspider websplantation homepassion fruitback porchbreakfast tablelovely homefollowing morninga wonderful stayorganic bath productsbeautiful roomchecking out
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Jacqueline was so warm and gracious; truly a special person. She was very easy to be around and we enjoyed wonderful conversations. She tailored our breakfast to suit my dietary needs, and it was delicious. We had the use of a sitting room as well as bedroom and private bathroom. The de-humidifier helped with the moisture problem, which results from the rainforest climate. The deck was beautiful, with a gazebo, a big hammock, and an ocean view. And if you like pets, you will love Sweetie, Jacqueline's friendly cat. While I've rated "this property" at 4, the hosts are a definite 5!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Having read the reviews and the homepage we were looking forward to our stay.

The house is ok, the location good and the rooms below average. The rooms were very moist and the bed felt like it was wet. This was strange as the climate outside the house was not wet or even moist. The breakfast was at best mediocore. Having read about the organic food on the www, we expected more. Half a papay, a muffin and some scrambled eggs, that was all.

We will not go back and do not recommend to friends looking for a special moment.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank OnlyTheBest-Lux
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My room was nice-looking and clean but the moisture diffused through the air was just terrible!
I had some notes which I put on the bed table before going to sleep, and in the morning they were all damp. Likewise my clothes which I left hanging on the chair. All this although I had not opened the window even once! I was waking up from cold throughout the night; the bed-cover was made of some artificial fiber, very far from soft.

The place gave me an impression of slightly outdated and also the owner Jaqueline was, I am very afraid to say, sort of out of touch with reality. I had this idea of going horse-riding in the Valley in the morning, but she said that for sure it is too late to book a trip for the same day and also that there is no point of calling before 8am because for sure nobody will be in the office. I said OK, she is local so she knows. But then, it was 7:30am and I had nothing else to do, so I called the number which I found on TripAdvisor (I called from my laptop, using Skype) and a most helpful lady answered who booked me on a wonderful trip starting at 9am. To Jaqueline's credit, she then spoke with the lady on the phone and kindly explained to me the location of the meeting point.

Breakfast was good but the conversation at the table was *very* weird. Before I left, another guest hugged me to convey cosmic powers on me and told me to remember to say 'thank you' to the horse before I ride it. I was so relieved to leave; it was the lowest point of my visit to Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Marta L
Waipio, Owner at Waipio Wayside B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Aloha Marta, and thank you for your review. All comments are appreciated and taken to heart. I am happy to say that after 25 years, I am still passionate about running the B&B because of all of the interesting people who stay at Waipio Wayside...from the lady who recently came to the Big Island to "realign" Hawaii's energy to the Tibetan monk who wanted to be Robin Williams. Each day presents new people with their individual stories to tell. In a way, I can relate it to movie shorts of people's lives.

Jacqueline Horne, Proprietor
Historic Waipio Wayside B&B

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Ted and I enjoyed our stay at the Waipio Wayside B&B so much that we booked a third night on the remaining part of our trip! Jaqueline and Nic were very helpful and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and the lodging very spacious and tranquil. I miss the papaya for breakfast...and the papaya treats! I highly recommend a casual lounge out on the hammock on the back deck where you can peer out through the trees and see the ocean. From our location an easy reach to waterfalls, Waipio valley, black sand beach, volcano and the favorite local pizza restaurant!
A very restful and tranquil stay. We will be back....again.chirp..chirp..Mahalo!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne F
Reviewed April 2, 2012

If you're wondering where to stay on the northern part of the Big Island, wonder no more - Waipio Wayside B&B is great and nicely situated for exploring what we found to be the prettiest parts of the island. The old-style Hawaiian plantation house is very nice, everything was clean and tastefully appointed, the breakfasts were fresh and amazing and Jacqueline was a great host. Furthermore, it's nicely situated, very near the valley (which is stunning), close to Waimea, and really not all that far from the western beaches. The one and only complaint I had were the frogs chirping, so bring some ear plugs if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple