“Roach motel with a beautiful view”
Review of Hale Kukui

Hale Kukui
Montreal
“Roach motel with a beautiful view”
Reviewed November 22, 2007

My husband, 2 year-old daughter and I stayed at this hale for one night at the beginning of November.

The owner was pleasant and generous enough to invite us to pick all the fruit we wanted. Pomelos, start fruit, tangerines among others were in season.

Our first impression of the place was "Wow! what a view!" and we were really excited despite the tiny kitchen, bathroom and old duvet.

I took a short walk to pick some fruit and when I returned, my husband and daughter had already accumulated a dozen MISQUITO bites indoors, with the screens closed. Moments later we noticed the ROACHES. On the ceiling and in the kitchen then in the BED, under the covers! We investigated a bit by pulling off the sheets and noticed roach droppings on the mattress cover. There were also a few mini spots of blood which we hoped weren't from bed bugs and there were hairs from previous guests. This place is obviously not clean.

By this time it was dark... pitch black outside our place so finding the owner's place down the road was a daunting task.

I thought I might calm my nerves by taking a nice bath in the jacuzzi on the patio outside. The porch light didn't work and the candle holders were empty. No bath, big, big disappointment.

My husband and daughter braved the bed, but I took no chances. I pitched the tent. Indoors. That's a $150 campsite.

We spotted roaches on the luggage so had to throw out all of our food and do a major clean up.

So do yourselves a favour, and until the owners show some respect for their guests and clean up, go to the look-out for the views and sleep elsewhere.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank moremanoi
alwaystrue, Owner at Hale Kukui, responded to this review, March 4, 2008
My place is immaculate, with no roaches. Guests are advised to keep screens closed especially during sunset hours because there are mosquitoes that like those hours. There should be no mosquitoes inside if the screens are left closed.
Thank you.
The owner.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southeast
Reviewed October 8, 2006

My wife and I stayed in the 1 bedroom Lux cottage.

First Impression:
When we first arrived it SEEMED no on had stayed there for a short period. Heres' why...although somewhat expected due to no AC and cooler environment from the nearby valley and elevation, it had a musty smell. Not overpowering mind you, but it's there. The sliding doors were all opened prior to our arrival. However, after the sliding glass doors stayed open and we broke it in a little, 24 hours later it was fine. Hint: Leave the doors open 24/7 w/ screens shut...scented tea candles would help.
The two dogs they have will bark when you arrive but don't let that fool you, they are very friendly and my wife and I even played with them a little (helps for those who miss their pets at home).

View:
Amazing view over the cliffs and valley opening w/ waterfall coming out of the cliffs. You would pay significantly more for this view at a resort. This and privacy is why you stay here.

Bugs:
My wife got bit by a few mosquitos when she first jumped out of the jeep as we moved our stuff inside...not me though. Keep in mind you are in the Hawaiian jungle somewhat, so bugs are there. My wife saw two small palmetto bugs I had to kill when she was first using the bathroom, but never saw one again after that. I sprayed complimentary bugspray around all the door openings and in the trashcan as a precaution. There was an ant trap in the kitchen. It's likely that the former tenants left food out which drew in the ants.
I wouldn't leave unsealed foods (especially sugar based items) out. A few ants were in the powder coffee creamer and somehow got into the sealed peanut butter jar leftover from previous tenants. Sarah gave us creamer from her house and the grinder, whole bean coffee and sugar is provided. It got better the longer we stayed...we drove them out I guess. I would wash your dishes just after using and throw away your trash often if throwing leftover food in there.

Privacy:
There are nearby units but not adjoining. It is very intimate at night when it gets very dark. We never saw anybody when we didn't want to.

King bed was comfortable, good coffee (fesh ground), small fridge and gas oven. Fans provided plenty of airflow. Plenty of hot water all day long. Filled up the two-person hot tub on the deck...it was actually too hot (our mistake) and we had to drain a little and refill.
Forget the TV in the closet, local antenna only, but again you didn't come to watch TV. We watched a couple of movies on my laptop at night, however. Also, we were able to wash a few items in the washer/dryer accessable outside Sarah's house.

Location:
This is the northeastern green side of the island and has beautiful cliffsides with waterfalls. It is off the beaten path and you come here to see the beautiful Waipio valley and waterfalls. Close to horseback riding and other valley tours. This is not the beach side. About an hour to get to the beaches on the northwest side. Also, some fine dining can be had at one or two places in nearby Waimea (~30 minutes). Most places in this area are very casual.
Lua's will be in the Kona coast area and although we enjoyed it we realized it was this corky tourist area of hotels that made us happy we were staying where we were.

Overall, I would recommend staying here. Use some of the info. I provided to make it even more enjoyable.

• Liked — Privacy and view.
  • Disliked — No AC.
  • Tips/Secrets — See review.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Kracklin
Reviewed November 13, 2004

Just returned from our first visit to Hawaii, only staying on the Big Island. Hale Kukui far exceeded our expectations. My sister and I stayed in the two bedroom unit for 9 days and had much trouble leaving because of the beauty of the surroundings and the very lovely. tasteful unit. It was outstanding in every way. We had originally planned to stay in a large hotel on the Kona coast, but decided on solitude instead. We did check out the hotel while there, and although beautiful, could not compare to Hale Kukui; especially the room, which could have been a Comfort Inn. For anyone wanting a natural, beautiful setting and accomodations, check this place out.

Reviewed June 14, 2004

This place is old and run down. The views are excellent but the units are tired and old and need some serious updating. I would not stay here again. The worst place we stayed on the Big Island. We stayed at another home in Volcano (great and cheaper) and a hotel.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 27, 2004

This place is really great. Quiet, beautiful (the ocean view off our front porch was spectacular) and secluded. This is a perfect place to stay when you're checking out Waipio Valley. It's a working fruit orchard, pick as much as you like during your stay. We had some great papayas for breakfast. The studio unit (where we stayed) has an outdoor jacuzzi on the deck...but we had some trouble with the hot water (not enough...).

Overall though, this was the best place we stayed on the big island. Highly, highly recommended.

Reviewed March 1, 2004

Bill and Sara the owners are wonderful people. We were married in their front yard. They have THE most spectacular view that you could imagine.
The rooms are very private and secluded. We really enjoyed cooking on the deck as well as picking fresh fruits. (you can pick as much fruit as you would like while you are staying there) I highly recomend the Tangerines in November. If you are looking for a party spot, this is not it. If you are looking to get away from the city hubub, Hale Kukui is the only way to go. We unfortunatly had to leave after 5 days and stay at the Hilton Waikola. Although the Hilton was nice, it doesn't have the secluded feeling or hospitality that Hale Kukui has. When we go back, we won't even bother with the Hilton.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honokaa
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Palms Cliff House Inn
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Hale Kukui? Share your experiences!