“Fantastic! Must do for everyone, even inexperienced riders like me. Best fun of trip.”

Waipi'o On Horseback
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride with us as we journey into Waipi'o Valley, one of the most beloved and revered places in all Hawai'i. Be amazed by the majestic scenery and beauty of the valley as our sure footed horses take you over lush jungle trails, under flowering canopies and through curving streams. You will be captivated by cascading waterfalls, 3,000 foot shear cliffs, farmlands and wild horses. Sample rare fruit from our family farm and see Hawai'i's staple food crop, Kalo, grown in the valley since ancient times. We embark on this 3 hour tour twice daily Monday -Saturday at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm. Participants meet at WOH Ranch located on Highway 240 after mile marker 7. From there we shuttle guests down into the valley to our stables where riders will receive a safety demonstration. Once in the saddle, the trek takes a leisurely pace allowing riders to appreciate an unforgettable perspective of Waipi'o's beauty. Our local guides share the legends, history and plants of this rich cultural landscape.
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Never been horseback riding ever. Guides, Davia and Ronald are excellent to say the least. Horses are very well trained they follwed each other, went slow, patient and obedient. I am was scared of heights they helped me. Most beautiful scenery down the the valley. I've never idden before and its not an issue. First few minutes are scary that's it. You travel through small streams "creeks" and flat, dirt gound. Wear waterproof gear since you go through water on horses and old shoes incase you step in horse poop, you can change right away when you are done. My guide Dava was a native of area and knew people in valley, like a friend showing you his neighborhood.

All reviews
"inexperienced riders"
in 5 reviews
"took pictures"

Reviewed September 5, 2011

we traveled across the world to see the Hawaii's natural beauty and meet its friendly people, and we especially wanted to to do Waipio valley on horseback; while we were a tad disappointed the reputable Naalapa stables tour was booked our hotel concierge told us about a similar company that takes the same tour but did not rave about it, as it did not have the same quality and reputation. We ended up doing it because we thought it was better than not doing it. Now I am a positive person who does not like to complain. i find the best in everything. We were in Hawaii (the Big Island and Kauai) 2 weeks and the trip was amazingly wonderful. Although I am ill, and work very hard, I am a traveler, as it is my passion and I feel much better on the needed vacations. The ONLY negative experience during the entire two week trip we had was with one of the tour guides of this company. I will not mention his name, as I do not want to seek revenge, but only to encourage others to ask for the nice ones i mention below. This man's behavior was so bad, i feel I should let people know, as most do spend a lot of time and money to have such a wonderful experience in hawaii...best to make sure that happens. The scenery of Waipio Valley is stunning and the guides Stacey and Celleste were wonderful. But one of the guides, gave off a cynical, hate tourists sort of attitude and actually thought it was funny to make fun of them. I found that unwise, as we pay his bills. When he saw several times from the steep van ride down into the valley, a lost group would be hiking the wrong way, which was a very challenging and time consuming steep hike, he simply made fun of them, told them they were lost, taking the wrong trail, and never gave them directions to help them....just drove off and laughed at "the idiots". He yelled at me publicly when my rain coat fell off the horse by mistake, as if i did not follow his directions , which I did, (I am an experienced rider); and on the way back in the van he told all of us to put the wonderful experience on trip advisor and to tip the guides. now i did not bring much cash with me as I thought I would just take a little for drinks on the way home, and paid for the expensive trip with my credit card at the hotel before i came out to the ranch. I gave him all I had which was 10 dollars to split between them. he then loudly and publicly announced that I was giving 3 plus dollars to each of them, and made it quite obvious that this was terrible, cheap, and ungrateful "typical of tourists". i felt so embarrassed to tears. The sweet guide lady Celeste consoled me and it was obvious she felt bad and embarrassed as well. I asked if I could use my credit card, and this nasty guide escorted me inside and told me to pay 10 dollars per person, which would be 30 dollars charged to my card, and that was what was done. I did not know the amount to give, but did it anyway as i just wanted to back to my car and cry, with this wonderful trip ruined by a nasty guide. Another nice tourist lady on the tour said I had been treated rudely and taken advantage of. i called the company when I got back to the hotel and told the hotel concierge. They both said they were outraged, this was unacceptable behavior, tips should be from the heart and that amount was way overboard, and the lady at Waipio on Horseback would not let me speak to the owner, but said she would make sure my request that the two other wonderful guides Celleste and Stacey would spilt that tip, and none would go to that nasty arrogant man. The lady who answered the phone for the company, while 63 miles away, said she would speak to her manager and call me back that day. She never did, and a week later I called her to follow up. She was not so nice that time *(she already had my money and I was leaving the islands), and rushed me off the phone and told me not to put the info on trip advisor, as she would send me a letter of apology from the owner and confirmation my tip would be given as I requested, as she was waiting for the credit card to go through. I checked my bank and it had gone through that day, and I have yet to receive any letter from the company. So, my advise is to do the trip but with Naapala stables! if it had not been for this guide's behavior, i would have given it four stars

16  Thank anne m
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Waipio on horseback was recommended by our hotel concierge, and I probably would not have booked it on my own. We are so glad we listened to her, because we had a great time. We were driven from WOH Ranch by 4WD into the valley. Stacey, the driver, was quite a comedian, keeping us laughing the entire way down, but also giving us information about the valley. The valley itself is absolutely gorgeous. The horseback ride took us through lush green landscape, through small rivers and streams. The wranglers were all very attentive, taking lots of pictures for us, picking flowers for the ladies and giving us information about the different plant species we were seeing. Overall, a beautiful place to visit and a good company to do it with.

2  Thank ratherBtravelling_11
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We booked a tour of the Waipio Valley with Waipio on Horseback. It was great! Not only was it well run but the valley itself is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen. They provided guides who took plenty of pictures of us with our cameras and explained a lot of what were seeing. They took us on a beautiful trail. The guides were real characters and everyone on our tour found them to be very amusing. They cut fruit from the trees and offered it to us and the horses. It was an incredible experience.

3  Thank Gilberttravel5