“Won't stay again”

and 1 more site!
Honoka'a Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honokaa
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Booked one night as was spending some time in the area and didn't want to carry on all the way to Hilo. The room was pretty grotty and old, the windows were shaking all night with the wind which kept us up. Booked an end 'view' room as I read these were the better rooms but there wasn't much of a view.

Walked down to the restaurant in town (there is only one) and had a pleasant meal in the evening.

The only plus was the breakfast which was basic, but had a nice chat with the owner who had knowledge and tips for the local area.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rock_30

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I tried to stay at this hotel/hostel for one night. I reserved a private room for one night. Due to experience, I checked the bed first. I pulled back the sheets and 2 bed bugs flew out and ran away on the carpet. Obviously, I did not want to sleep in that bed!! I asked the owner if she had another room and I told her about the bugs. She did not believe me! She said that she did not have bed bugs. She insisted on it, so she practically said I had imagined that and that I was lying (why a guest would do that and asking for another room at the same time is beyond me). I showed her the bed, but of course the bugs had disappered. She had one bed left in a dorm room with two other women, but she would not give me that bed and trew me out. Yes, you read right: There were bed bugs and I was thrown out...! Again: Why??? Then, I had to drive another 45 min to Hilo and it was already 8.30pm. I was lucky to get a room at the Hilo Bay Hostel.
So, I can only advise you never to go there, rather sleep in your car if you can. There are bed bugs and roaches, the owner is rude and might just throw you out.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank jesmen
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Old hotel in a small town near Waipio Lookout, Northeast Coast Big Island. We didn't have reservations but arrived around 3PM. No one in the office.
A sign (one of many) said to yell "you whoo" and someone would come. Around 4PM a very friendly woman showed up (after her nap) and showed us a top floor room with an amazing view of the ocean. The room was old-fashioned but clean.
Wild roosters and dogs woke us the next morning. Plus you could hear every noise from the room next door especially in the bathroom since the room was screened at the top.
Breakfast was fresh fruit, toast, banana and chocolate chip breads. If you are looking for an "old Hawaii" experience this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I was a bit dubious about staying at this hotel having read the reviews on TA and having a look around while noone was there!!

We stayed for 4 days and enjoyed it!

We got rooms with views on the second floor, also had tv with cable. The walls and curtains were both pretty thin but liveable.

Annelle and jory were great hosts and always had plenty to talk about at breakfast time!! Good suggestions about how to spend the days and maps of walks in Waipio (if you want to get a bit adventurous!).

My suggestion is get a room with a view, don't be put off by first impressions and you'll like this place as much as we did!

As for Honokaa, there isn't much to do and it seems to shut about 4pm but there is a nice Italian down the street which is BYO (handy grocery store across the street).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 21, 2008

When you drive up to the Honoka'a Club you may be tempted to keep right on going, but inside it is quite charming in an old Hawaii sort of way. The rooms vary quite a bit, though, and the nicer ones are on the second floor with large windows overlooking the view. The bathrooms are old and basic, but clean. We were with a cycling group, and the owner put on a nice breakfast for us including home baking and tradtional Hawaiian dishes.
If you are happy with basic accomodation, this place is fine for a short stay.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed July 25, 2008

When I pulled up to the place I thought it looked like it had been abandoned -- 25 years ago! It's a really rundown old hostel. When I told the guy I didn't want to stay there he told me I had already paid for the reservation and there was no going back -- I thought he was a jerk about it. I'm sure he's desperate for business! To be fair, the room was clean and decently maintained and the view of the ocean was great, but I'm sure I had the best room in the hotel because I'm also sure there was nobody else staying there in the entire place -- which also was pretty creepy in the dark of night. There's no reason to stay here because you can go 15 minutes up the road to Waimia and there are nice normal motels to stay at for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Taziums

- 2 room suite has plenty of room
- Bargain price, maybe

The minuses:

- Rusty roof
- Runs out of hot water quickly
- Poor shower door repair, does not close. Ugly.
- WiFi does not connect to internet
- No TV
- Lineolium floor peeling up
- Suites have no privacy. Screens in room are permanently open to hallway, allowing DIRECT room to room communication

We paid $130 per night for this, and I am thankful for the suite at that price. However, more maintenance is required for this hotel for the optimum Hawaiian experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Honokaa
Arnott's Lodge
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Been to Honoka'a Club? Share your experiences!