“Great hidden establishment”

Holuakoa Cafe & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Holualoa
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Holuakoa Gardens and Cafe. We are a Slow Food establishment committed to "a food system that is based on the principles of high quality and taste, environmental sustainability, and social justice." Sit back and relax in our lush garden setting and experience Slow Food at its best, locally grown and lovingly prepared. For the best cup of coffee in Kona, visit our famous coffee shop, located right out in front of the restaurant in the historical town and artist community of Holualoa.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

in residential Holualoa town. Recommended by front desk staff at hotel. Beautiful views with good food glad it was suggested as we never would have found it otherwise. Would recommend to others as we enjoyed all of it.

There are newer reviews for Holuakoa Cafe & Gardens

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This place is really far off the beaten path, but I'm really glad we got the recommendation and went. It's a beautiful setting overlooking the pacific from up high, and we got there early enough to see the sunset as we were eating. I think it was all outdoor seating except that it's all covered, just opened up all around the sides with lush greenery all around and overhead. The food was very gourmetish and even though we got there at 6pm and they open at 5:30 they were already out of one of the specials and within a half hour we could hear the wait-person tell other people that they were out of 2 of the specials. Also it's "slow food" so it takes a while to prep each course, but it doesn't really matter since it's such a nice atmosphere to sit in. We ended up just ordering off the regular menu and got the mahi and fish cake and both were excellently prepared and tasted fantastic. Very large portions, and the fish cake wasn't like a crab cake and had no bread crumbs, and was more like a compressed fish burger. The apple, pear, berry cobbler dessert is cooked when you order it.

Go early before they run out of specials, and find the parking lot in the back (which is tough to find) because there's lots of parking spaces back there.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

As I had visited previously with my daughter, we returned for brunch with the family and although the French toast was excellent again, the pulled pork entree was insipid and eggs and bacon were pretty boring too. If you are in the neighborhood its a good place for brunch but I wouldn't make a special trip.....

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I read online that this place buys locally and prides itself in providing “slow food.” The quality and service certainly reflected this philosophy. A little boy was playing with a stick in the koi pond when I arrived and I quickly felt the hot day disappear behind the vegetated trellis that conceals this gem from the road. The grass-fed hamburger with local lettuce and tomatoes tasted like they came from the peak of summer in my native New England. A perfect place for a quiet lunch break while shopping the galleries of Holualoa or certainly worth the 15-20min drive up the mountain from Kailua Kona.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

A friend had been at Holuakoa Cafe on her last trip and told us about it, so we went. They claim they are 90% organic and they also claim it goes from farm to table and everything is grown locally. There were four of us and none of us was disapointed. Everyone ordered fresh fish and I ordered their vegetarian lazagna and I wasn't disappointed fabulous. The whole meal was a taste sensation and we would all go again and we will on our next trip. By te way their fish was great too!