“Facinating Experience. Great host & hostess”

Hula Daddy Kona Coffee
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Holualoa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hula Daddy Kona Coffee is the winner of the 2016 Kona Coffee Cupping Competition and the 2015 Hawaii Cupping Competition. Hula Daddy sells roasted coffee beans that have been grown on its own plantation. We offer coffee tasting, farm tours and roasting demonstrations by advance reservation only.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A fascinating and educational experience on what is involved in producing a great cup of Kona coffee. We were lucky enough to get a tour of the plantation by Karen who, with her charming husband, built this operation from scratch. Add to that the fantastic view of the Pacific from their showroom. Heaven!!

1  Thank Andrew N
Karen P, Owner at Hula Daddy Kona Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Aloha What a great review. Mahalo nui loa. My charming husband is thrilled. Come back soon. Karen

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I reviewed this wonderful place five years ago and I was blessed enough to once again return to the Big Island and Hula Daddy Kona Coffee. Just like last time Karen (the owner) gave us the tour of their operation, however this time they were roasting. That was amazing to see and smell!! Ever since we first went their we have purchased their peaberry online as my anniversary gift, however a few years ago their supply dropped off sharply and they no longer had it available online (you could only get it if you were part of their coffee club) which was sad but understandable as they are a small family operation and Peaberry is less than one percent of their crop. So this trip we had four MUST GO places and this was at the top of the list. We figured that we would just buy some peaberry while we were there. No dice on the peaberry so we were just going to have to get the next best thing after the tour. The tour ended in the roasting room where their roaster (a lovely woman named Laura if I remember correctly) had some coffee in the roaster. I was the only one in our group who decided to stay for the whole process. Once the beans were roasted and cooled slightly, I was allowed to partake in the tasting of the freshly roasted coffee. Much to my surprise I thought I tasted Peaberry!!! Turns out I was right (a fact that Karen, knowing how much I love peaberry due to an earlier conversation, left out of the tour speech for fear of me falling down and begging for some and I probably would have lol.). They were making the Peaberry for a coffee club order. Laura said that if I wanted she would sell me a bag because they had to roast more that what was ordered and she had about a bag or so left over. Heck YES!!! So I got my bag of peaberry and a ton more knowledge of how coffee was made, plus I got to taste the freshest coffee EVER!!

Trust me when I say that the Peaberry Dark Roast at Hula Daddy is worth the $60 per pound!! The rest of their coffee is also of the highest quality and once I make a little more money I'll try to convince my wife to join their coffee club (though not for the peaberry, maybe just the extra fancy)

Hula Daddy Coffee and the Plantation will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you Karen for the wonderful tours and memories. We hope to be able to make it back soon.

1  Thank Harpo_Chico

Aloha Thank you for coming back again. It was a pleasure talking to you. Please come back a third time!!! Mahalo, Karen

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We thought a tour of a coffee farm would be a nice change of pace from beaches and other attractions. We're so glad we went to Hula Daddy. First of all, you walk in and see an amazing view of the ocean. They also have a variety of their coffees for sampling. We then had a tour of the farm, learning how the coffee is grown, picked, sorted and eventually roasted. This is a family-owned farm and you can tell they take real pride in putting out an excellent product. Everyone was very friendly and really enjoyed talking to the people visiting. This is a great activity when looking for something a little different.

Aloha We enjoyed your visit. Thank you for leaving a review. Please come back again. Mahalo, Karen

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband is a coffee-holic so we visited several Kona coffee plantations while in Kona. Of all of the tours and experiences, we enjoyed Hula Daddy's the best. The tour guide taught us a great deal about how beans are picked and the process used to make Kona coffee. I do not like coffee, but still found the tour very interesting. Their coffee is very expensive, but that didn't stop my husband from buying a little. He is requesting more for Christmas!! I would highly recommend stopping by. Free samples before/during/after the tour!

Karen P, Owner at Hula Daddy Kona Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Aloha Thank you for your review. Your husband is obviously a very talented person. We are so pleased that he liked our coffee and that you had a good time at our farm. We hope that on your next trip to Hawaii you come see us again. Mahalo Karen

Reviewed August 3, 2013

What a nice side trip to Hula Daddy coffee plantation on 8-1-13.

The staff were so welcoming and beyond friendly. They had several free tasting of their different types of coffee and a free tour of the facilities. There was no pressure to buy anything (but we did anyway after tasting how awesome the coffee and chocolate covered coffee beans were)

We ended up staying there for about an hour. It was definitely worth checking out. Clean, modern but still had the island flare!

Oh and be sure to say hi to the chameleon who lives on the plantation!!!

Aloha Mahalo for reviewing us. We hope you return soon. Karen