“Lovely, lovely, lovely...”

Ranked #1 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Houston
“Lovely, lovely, lovely...”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I spent three wonderful nights at the Lilikoi Inn, located in the cool refreshing air about 1600' above Kailua-Kona, Hi. Our host and hostess, Shai and Trina could not have been more warm or hospitable. Shai even greeted us when we drove up and grabbed our luggage like we were long lost relatives. You really feel as though you've come to a second home in paradise with the pampering and personal attention.

We booked the Lilikoi room on the second floor where the breakfast lanai and guest kitchen are located. The room was tastefully appointed, even with a fresh tropical bouquet to welcome our stay including fresh fruit smoothies made by Shai.

The breakfasts started with delicious coffee made from their home grown beans and fresh tropical fruit. The banana pancakes, served with homemade lilikoi syrup were the best I've ever eaten!!!! From the frittata to other creative, delicious dishes we were always
impressed with Shai's culinary skills. We had the pleasure of joining them for one of their monthly special dinner's. This month it was a 5-course Indian dinner, complete with authentic live music. The food was marvelous and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting some of their friends from the island.

It was very obvious to us that both Shai and Trina enjoyed making their guest's stays memorable. We can't wait to return to the Lilikoi Inn.

Big hugs and thanks for a fantastic experience.

Doug and Carol

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I was late in booking a place to stay for my trip to the big island and just happened to find the Lilikoi Inn. I'm so glad I did. Great place in all ways, and Trina and Shai are very friendly and helpful people. Breakfast was amazing everyday we were there. We actually ended up changing our plans for the last days of our trip so we could stay for a couple more nights at the Lilikoi Inn. The location is really good, far enough away from town to be quiet but still a very short drive into Kona. I would highly recommend this place to anyone going to the Big Island.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 12, 2010

This is a B&B high up on the hills above Kona. It'll take you around 15 minutes to drive downtown. It's a big house with the guest rooms facing in towards a common area, with the owners living on the other side of that common area. There is also some basement rooms, with their own common area and lanai (porch). The two owners are very personal and accommodating, Shai would love to talk to you all day, Trina seemed a bit stressed out when we were there. Breakfast is very very good, and is served outside around a big table you share with all the other guests. We didn't eat dinner there, but I'm sure it's just as good. Probably some of the better food you'll find in the Kona area.

Overall this place feels like a big family house, which is great if you want to meet the other guests, talk to Shai (and maybe Trina), and feel like you're experiencing "authentic Hawaii" (as opposed to living in a megaresort, or chain hotel). It's not so great for privacy, relaxing all by yourself and so forth.

The rooms are nice and clean, but the backside of the house, the common area and the common kitchen was pretty messy, with a lot of dirty dishes and miscellaneous stuff spread out everywhere. Again, very personal like your own house, but some of you might like it more impersonal, like a hotel.

This place would probably really work for you, or you might be slightly put off by it, depending on the level of privacy you'd want.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank vegars
Bangkok
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Extravagant and lush landscaping with views of the Kona harbor. Large,
comfortable rooms with private entrances and baths. The hosts, Trina and
Shai Yerlick are friendly and welcoming.
Highly recommended.
Jean Wolfe Walzer, Bangkok.
Yes, I would be glad to recommend this guesthouse to a friend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lilikoi Inn for 3 nights at the beginning of our vacation to the Big Island and Kauai and I wish we'd stayed longer. This house is located at a higher elevation than the touristy Kailua-Kona and is therefore very refreshing and a lot cooler. The hot tub feels wonderful at night. When we were there, there was only one other couple there that were actually old friends of Shai and Trina. We didn't see too much of Trina, but Shai made us feel incredibly welcome and comfortable. He was completely laid back and was nice enough to send us off on our day adventures (to which he recommended good beaches/snorkeling spots/restaurants and drew us maps!) with goodies such as bananas from his own trees, leftover homemade guacamole from breakfast, and other assorted fruit. My boyfriend is a picky eater AND doesn't drink coffee so he accomodated his individual needs and even brewed him some fresh hot tea made from herbs that he grew. Our room was located on the main lanai, but I'd choose a room on the lower lanai for more privacy next time. Shai encouraged the use of the kitchen (there is one kitchen for guest use with everything you might need to cook, and an industrial kitchen that he uses) which we never ended up using, but I bet if you did he'd probably give you cooking tips since he is a chef and owned a catering business for 14 years, I believe! He said to us, "I was hoping you'd cook something so I could make fun of you" (all in good fun!). I recommend if you're planning on staying in that part of the island!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Staying here was a wonderful experience! As a B&B it has a wonderful chef, Shai, who caters to one's every whim. We spent a week in Kona and found our hosts to be very accommodating and knowledgeable of the island and all it has to offer. Highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Big Island - and hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed April 2010
Oakland, California
Reviewed April 25, 2010

This was a first trip to Hawaii for both my sweetheart and I. The Lilikoi Inn provided a lush, beautiful, welcoming home away from home for us, one we hope to return to many times. I somehow lost our written directions, but Shai answered the phone and gave us easy to follow directions to the Inn. When we arrived he offered us a delicious smoothie made with fresh lilikoi fruit and banana bread made from their banana tree! WOW! Shai cut a hibiscus for me, which I put in my hair. That's when I knew I was in Hawaii!

We stayed in the tastefully decorated Green Papaya room, with a modern, comfortable bathroom, huge closet with hangers and a comfy sleigh bed with lots of pillows There is also lovely furniture with drawers so I could organize all my clothes and really live there. The room had many towels, both for showering and taking to the beach and hot tub. The lower lanai has a hammock big enough for 2, table and chairs where I could relax and write in my journal. The upper lanai was a great place to meet others, enjoy magical sunsets and eat Shai's gourmet meals and snacks. We're still talking about the size of the avacado Shai used to make an endless bowl of guacamole.

Trina and Shai, made us feel at home and cared for with their wonderful sense of humor and extensive knoweldge of their beloved Island. They gave us choices and directions for fun places to spend our time. They recommended beaches, lent us snorkling equipment and even let us use their kayak, which Shai drove down to the beach and then hung out while we enjoyed a long paddle. They told us about the Merrie Monarch, a yearly hula festival that takes place in Hilo, and told us we shouldn't miss it. Trina dances in a hula troop and showed us beautiful feather pieces and shell necklaces which she had made for her costume. We did go to the festival and were blown away by the talent and majesty of the event, which was free on the first night. This was the real Hawaii, not the one conjured up for tourists. They even lent us sleeping bags and blankets so we could go camp on the Hilo side when we went to see Volcano park.

There is a grand piano, which I played, in the living room. We used the guest kitchen to store and cook some of our own meals. It had everything we needed. We loved relaxing in the hot tub, which is hidden away amongst the lush plants, flowers and coffee trees of the property. My sweetheart bought 2 pounds of Shai's coffee to take home. We had heard good things about Lilikoi, but had no idea it would be so luxurious and that we would end up feeling like family before we left.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holualoa
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Lilikoi Inn? Share your experiences!