“Value for money on the Big Island”
Review of Lilikoi Inn

Lilikoi Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Value for money on the Big Island”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

How thankful we are that we chose to stay with Trina and Shai at Lilikoi Inn on our first visit to the Big Island. Here is why - excellent location, superb breakfast, comfy bed, lovely room, relaxing hot tub, spacious environment, peaceful and contented atmosphere and great value for money. Now the real reason - Shai and Trina. Exceptional people who have created their own special piece of paradise and genuinely enjoy sharing their world with their guests. Nothing is too much trouble, everything is done and offered with a generosity of spirit that makes them and Lilikoi Inn a "must stay, must return". We cannot recommend Lilikoi Inn highly enough. P S we stayed in the Green Papaya Room - quiet, spacious bathroom. Go for Plumeria for quiet and view, smaller bathroom. Any room will be just fine, so be flexible. Oh, something else - Great kitchen for guests, so you can eat in after shopping locally and keep your food refrigerated during your stay - ideal if you want a break from eating out or have special dietary needs. And about breakfast, drink the coffee and then buy it a a very reasonable cost from Shai - he grows it and serves it - it is a good brew. Trina is a raconteur extraordinaire with a big heart and a lot of knowledge of the human side of the Big Island (she is a local teacher). Thanks a million, Trina and Shai - we'll be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Trina and Shai are operating this beautiful B&B on the slopes of Mauna Loa. Shai's breakfast is to die for and is served at the ocean-view lanai. The house is basically enclosed by tropical forest of banana, lemon, papaya coffee and passion fruit plants that will serve your breakfast. Free advice as good as Wikitravel for your day trip and friendly conversations in the evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Do you plan to visit the Big Island and want to experience the best stay of Hawaii? Yes, Lilikoi Inn is the right place for it!
Very good location allows you to go everywhere; short drive to great beaches and one day trip to the volcano!

You start your day with a delicious Hawaiian breakfast on the terrace overlooking view of the ocean! Fresh from the garden fruits and coffee with a view, nice morning conversation with a small group of guests learning and sharing Hawaiian experiences.

The hosts spend their time to advice and answer questions, helping to reserve activities and just enjoy communication.You could discuss your daily plans with them and get the important insider info. No hidden fees, wifi is included and good. Rooms are modern and spaceful and stylish with a big bathroom (not typical for B&B), the house terrace allows guests to have privacy or go to common space to enjoy the view of farm and ocean.
The owners really treat you just generously: plentiful breakfasts with fresh fruit, eggs in the kitchen you can use by your own, plenty of fruits grown on the property and you can eat them whenever you want, beach towels, a hot tub and outdoor shower,educational farm tour and more.
Don't miss the sunset! The Sunsets are a must, the sun goes down into the ocean through the clouds (see my pictures)

The property is upgrading constantly and probably next guests will have a delicious pizza from a outside wood-fired pizza oven currently being built by Shai.

The atmosphere is unusual: Tranquility on one hand and positive energy on the other. Tranquility comes from the farm and view and positive energy comes from the hosts. And their ENERGY and enthusiasm is CONTANGIOUS!

You will come back from Lilikoi Inn revitalized and reenergized.

We can’t compare this stay with any hotel or condo stay: we learned and enjoy a lot about Hawaii here. We wish you to have the same experience!

Olga_K

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Lilikoi Inn is a spacious and modern Bed & Breakfast with wonderful hosts, Shai and Trina. Shai is a trained chef and the delicious meals prove it! We enjoyed family style breakfast on the lanai overlooking Kailua and the ocean. Shai and Trina take a very personal interest in their guests and we enjoyed our breakfast ritual discussing everyone's plans for the day and getting detailed recommendations from our hosts. The restaurants and beaches they suggested were truly outstanding. One of the joys of staying at B&B's is the local knowledge of the hosts and Shai and Trina seem to really enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience. We've visited the Kona coast many times but this was our first visit to the Lilikoi Inn and we look forward to return. We highly recommend the Lilikoi Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was a little nervous making my way to the Inn the first night as my flight did not arrive until well after 10pm, but they provide very good directions and I found my way to the property fairly easily. (It's about 20 minutes-ish from the airport down some winding roads.) I felt bad that I had to call once I got there to locate my room, but Shai was very prompt in answering and getting me settled. He makes a delicious breakfast each morning (fair warning that the fruit/yogurt/granola is only the first course!) The second is usually something made with the eggs of the chickens that live on the property. There are always some eggs in the kitchen you can use in your own cooking if you like. Also, there are tons of fruits grown on the property and you can find passion fruit whenever you want it. The coffee, also grown on the property, is delicious.

I loved that I felt like I was staying with relatives. My first morning Shai made sure I knew where I was going and gave me the local spin on things to see. Directions such as "when you pass mile marker 91 count to 5 and then pull off the road to find the unmarked lava tube to explore" are so very helpful. Shai also loaded me up with all of the beach gear I could need including beach towel, mat, chair, umbrella, snorkel gear, etc. which was a tremendous help to not have to bring all of this or having to buy it in Hawaii. Trina is very friendly as well and makes you really feel at home.

I had a huge room - they are all different so check out which will suit you in advance. The lanais provide a nice view overlooking the coast for sunset and there is also a hot tub and a really cool outdoor shower which are nice at the end of the day. One of my favorite moments was when I was taking some pictures of the sunset. Shai and Trina were just coming back to the property and Shai saw my car so he knew I was there. He came running in yelling my name saying "I want to make sure you don't miss the sunset!" I am sure that no one in a large hotel has ever looked out for me like that!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
East Lyme, Connecticut
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After reading the glowing reviews here on tripadvisor, my wife and I had our hearts set on the Lilikoi Inn. There was no vacancy when our schedule allowed in Feb of 2012 so we decided to postpone our trip until 2013 just to stay at the Lilikoi inn. What a great decision that was. For us the Lilikoi Inn epitomizes exactly what a bed and breakfast should be. Shai and Trina made us feel completely comfortable and at home in their little tropical paradise. From the clean and comfortable room, to the delicious and plentiful breakfasts heavy on fresh fruit (much of it grown in view from the breakfast lanai; the inn is nested among a lush, green expanse of avocado, coffee, passion fruit, banana and grapefruit trees, - with a wide view down to the Kailua-Kona coastline) to the insider advice on local island activities, this place exceeded our high expectations. Shai takes an obvious pride in growing tropical fruits and coffee, concocting wonderful breakfasts, building projects around the inn, and dispensing helpful advice - and all done with a kind of contagious enthusiasm and a complete lack of pretension. My wife is vegan, so prior to arrival we were a bit worried that she might not get the full b&b experience due to her dietary restrictions. Shai went out of his way to accomodate her and she could not have enjoyed the food more. Hopefully someday we'll make it back to the big island; I'd love to see Shai's nearly-finished pizza oven in action!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LilikoiInn, Owner at Lilikoi Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
thanks for writing such a wonderful review! We were happy to have you both and you proved that not all vegans can't eat great things in a lively manner!
We hope to see you again in hawaii and that the winter has not dampened your spirits! Happy spring and remember we are always here when you get cold next year!!
with aloha,
Trina and Shai
Edmonton
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If you're looking for idyllic Hawaii, this is the place. Situated in Kona upcountry, this B&B grows its own coffee, avocado, lilikoi (passionfruit) and more. Large and tasty breakfasts are made with these ingredients including farm fresh eggs from the resident chickens. The owners, Shai and Trina, go above and beyond to make guests feel welcome. Pleasant conversation, restaurant suggestions and accurate driving directions provide what hoteliers can not. This place has all the personal touches one could ask for. The ocean-facing, wrap-around lanai was the common breakfast area and the vantage point overseeing the 3 acres of farmland. My 13 year-old son loved the animals on the land, especially Decaf and Snowball. He ate more food than I've seen him eat ever - the macadamia nut pancakes especially. (Thank you Shai for making them again on our last day). We met travelers from Austria, Australia, Japan and Germany just to name a few places. The B&B left us all feeling inspired, vibrant and dare I say it?... a little bit local.

Room Tip: Initially we wanted to stay in the Lilikoi room which is on the main floor. We were disappointed at...