“The perfect bed and breakfast in paradise”
Review of Lilikoi Inn

and 1 more site!
Lilikoi Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Lilikoi Inn is a WONDERFUL place to stay. My girlfriend and I went a month ago and I can still taste their magical breakfasts. Shai - one of the hosts - is a former chef and he's no joke. Fresh avocado smoothies upon demand. Amazing four course breakfasts. They grow their own coffee and I loved it so much, I had to buy a bag to bring back to New York. In fact, I need to ask them if I can purchase coffee from afar. It's that good! The rooms are really comfy and we slept deeply and truly. We had guidebooks (and they do too) but we didn't need them. Every morning, we'd ask Shai and Trini where to find what we were looking for (a great white sand beach, a hike only the locals know, some excellent poke, etc) and they'd give us detailed instructions. I couldn't recommend this place higher. We stayed in a hotel the first night near the airport and it's not even close. If you are coming to the big island, this is a wonderful place to stay on the Kona side. Good vibes, good food and real hawaiian culture abound.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lilikoi room and it was fantastic. I loved being on the top floor. You could pop ou...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were welcomed into open arms with a gracious tour of the truly special jungle-meets-organic-farm-meets-B&B paradise haven. Pay attention and asks questions- you will learn of Shai's incredible creativity and commitment as well as Trini's great insight into designing rooms and an atmosphere that is as practical as it is luxurious.

Enjoy the company of the cats, Romeo & Juliet (they do not enter guest rooms) and Trini's dog, all very well trained animals.

Take in as many meals with Shai at the kitchen helm as you can- you would be a fool not too. Healthful and completely ono to the last bite!

Careful outside when it rains-it is slippery! I mention this because you will be so caught up and engaged in the environment, it is easy to forget to mind your feet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went there almost a year ago and I still remember how good the food is! The rooms are clean and comfy. The memorable thing is their monthly dinner. We happened to stay there on that night. If you can, do it! The dinner is amazing, easily the best meal during our stay.

The property is lined with fruit trees too!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I had the most friendly and relaxing stay at the Lilikoi Inn. It was our first time to Kona and my first time to Hawaii. I was pleasantly surprised by the personal attention that we received from out host. Shai is the best!!! His service is warm, friendly, and unobtrusive. He also serves his own delicious creations for breakfast with fresh ingredients grown either on the property or very locally.

The grounds are lush and full of lilikoi, bananas, avocados, coffee, and so many things that I can't pronounce. Every morning we would wake from the Likikoi room to a beautiful view of the ocean below our mountain retreat. Shai would greet us and give us ideas on how to spend the day. We traveled to the local beach, spent another day "downtown", and toured a coffee plantation. Shai knew just where to go.

We had a brief, but lovely stay at Lilikoi Inn and hope to come back soon! I would HIGHLY recommend this B&B for anyone who loves an authentic and local experience.

JS

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jnosteele
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in the Lilikoi Room for three nights in August, 2012. There were some really nice things about the place, but ultimately it felt like visiting your in-laws when they were stressed out and overwhelmed during the holidays. We wouldn't say that ruined our trip, but being in the house was unpleasant and no B&B guest should ever feel like they need to hide from the proprietors to avoid tension. From the other reviews, we can see that other people had entirely different experiences there, but it seemed wrong not to mention ours, since we would not recommend the Lilikoi Inn to friends because of our experiences there.

Pros:

- The Lilikoi Room itself: it was beautiful and airy, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was clean.
- Holualoa is a nice little community - far enough away from the tourist areas to feel more authentic, but close enough that the 10-20 minute drive to restaurants (in either direction) doesn't seem that bad.
- Shai is a great chef, attentive to special food needs and presentation. If food is hospitality, then we appreciated his affection and care. We had to leave for an early flight, and he made us a yogurt/papaya/granola breakfast when he really could have just expected us to go without breakfast.
- We liked the other people who stayed there and the conversations we had with them (communal dining table). I could see this (talking in the morning with strangers) being a drawback for some people, but it wasn't for us.

Cons:

Lack of privacy: Even though the white curtains are double-paneled, the Lilikoi Room is at the corner of the house with a wrap-around porch/walkway that other guests will use on their way from one part of the property to the other and you could still see silhouettes through them. The bathtub and window above it is directly next to this walkway on one side, and the bedroom's long side is next to the other. The room adjoins the main common living room, too, so it doesn't feel like a private place where you could talk freely or enjoy a secluded romantic moment. When you see the beautiful picture of the room on their website (http://www.lilikoiinn.com/photos/bedroom2.jpg), you should know you only get that view if you leave the curtains open and expose yourself to the foot traffic. In other words, if you're heading there for some romance, get one of the downstairs rooms, which seem more private.
Driveway and parking lot: We didn't like that our rental car always bottomed out at the bottom of the hill or that the parking lot (which is just a flat dirt area under trees) was so small and difficult to get into and out of, but we know for our parents--or anyone who is a less-confident driver--that would have been a deal-breaker right there. I know Trina and Shai don't think the driveway or parking lot is a significant problem, but we think that that's a problem in itself.
Lack of clarity in systems: The guest kitchen has very clear systems and expectations, which is really great. Other things, like what to do with your used beach towels (hang them over the railing) or to get new bath towels (they're in the drawers) were less clear. This is simple stuff, but it can be confusing (I wouldn't want to put a used beach towel in common space without asking first).
The "home" experience: We really like B&Bs because they can be friendly and welcoming and it can be nicer to be in a home environment (couches! cats! kitchen! other friendly people!) than a more sterile single hotel room. Unfortunately, our time there was really stressful. Trina could be controlling ("you're not going to take that coffee mug into your room, are you?" when there is no way I would have 1. sat on the bed or 2. put it down anywhere, or "oh, you're going to [that restaurant]? Really?"), conversation-dominating (she doesn't really let people talk, but usually she's pretty interesting, though), and defensive (you can see that in the response comments to other Trip Advisor posts, and my guess is that she might respond to this one defensively, too). I think the biggest issue we had was with the loud shouting in the common room. Different people communicate in their marriage in different ways, and their weekend we were there was a very stressful weekend for them because they were helping cater a wedding, but you just can't shout and swear at each other when you have guests in your B&B. We think they probably didn't know we were still there because it was about 10:30 in the morning and most people would have set out on their days by then, but it made us feel unwelcome and stressed out. It happened two other times--albeit less loudly and much shorter--later during our stay, so it doesn't seem like it's a one-time thing. In other words, we like to feel included in someone's home and our problem wasn't that it was a B&B-type experience, but that it felt like being included in a really chaotic and tension-filled household where we were actively avoiding interaction with them when they were together. As I said, it really did feel just like visiting your in-laws during a stressful visit. And that's not why you go to Hawaii.

Room Tip: Get a downstairs room for privacy (Green Papaya Room?)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank surcingles
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was so happy and blown away by the lilikoi inn. As I drove up to the house, and into my cozy room full with bathroom, tv and great location to everything. This little slice of heaven in Hawaii was just what I needed for my week vacation on the big Island. The breakfast made by Shai was so delicious and the coffee was amazing! I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay with great views, and great location. Shai and Trina are very helpful about knowing where to go on the Island. I cannot wait to come back and stay at the Lilikoi inn on my next trip to Hawaii.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my mom was guests in LIlikoi Inn last month for few nights, that was great, very comfortable , the best food I ever had in B&B, fresh and tasty. The other guests were very nice and the most important is the great hosts, an amazing gourmet breakfast by Shay, they have tropical garden with an outside shower under the tree(paradise) and a beautiful view to relax. a lot of information and help to cruise around the island by the amazing Shay and Tina, very fast you feels like home and u just don’t want to leave, they succeed to bring the concept of B&B to a better level.
thank you very much for the amazing time, We already miss the life there with u.
It’s a most.
Hagit & Ran

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holualoa
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Lilikoi Inn? Share your experiences!