“We felt like we were in our own private Hawaiian Villa over-looking the ocean.”
Review of Holualoa Inn

Holualoa Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Los Altos, California
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Our family felt like we were in our own Hawaiian villa with our own personal chef! The inn overlooks 30 acres of beautiful tropical plants and coffee trees. The interior of the Inn is impeccably furnished with a Bali/ Polynesian flair. The rooms are casual yet elegant and have beautiful ocean views and walls that open to the outside. There are many little romantic places throughout the inn, such as the roof-top gazebo where we would have our wine and watch the sun set every evening. Chef Brian prepared a breakfast of fresh fruit (all grown right at the Inn), followed by something very special such as Lilikoi French Toast or Spinach Omeletes, which he would serve to our family at whatever time we awoke. The customer service is 5-star -- Noe, the General Manager, greets you with fresh juice and places little flower petals near your pillow. After our long days of snorkeling, paddling and golfing, it was a real luxury to return to our own "home" rather than a crowded resort.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
IslandSerenity, General Manager at Holualoa Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Thank you very much for your review of Holualoa Inn. We are delighted that you felt at home in your own Hawaiian Villa. We look forward to welcoming you home in the near future. In the meantime, may you have visions of farm fresh eggs and macadamia nut sticky buns at our breakfast table. Mahalo from your Holualoa Inn Ohana!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I had visited the town of Holualoa five years ago with a few friends who are locals. We went to a gallery for dinner. From the moment I saw the town, I knew that I had to go back and stay for a few days. Normally, my family and I stay at the Four Seasons Hualalai, but the town of Holualoa seemed to offer a more authentic Hawaiian experience.

After doing some research, I decided to book a room for three nights at the Holualoa Inn. I was doing this trip solo, and with breakfast included and a small, home-like atmosphere, I felt confident that I would not get lost in the shuttle. From the moment I arrived at the Inn, I was completely impressed! Tucked away off the main street, it is one of the most beautiful homes/Inns that I have ever visited. The Inn itself is perched on the mountainside, with spectacular vistas of Kona and the coastline below. The architecture of the home offers indoor/outdoor living, with warm natural woods, large windows (beautiful stained glass windows as well), tons of little spots to sneak away and just relax in lounge chairs or rocking chairs, and lush, tropical gardens surrounding the living areas. Everything is decorated with the best in taste, offering a completely first-class yet cozy respite from the typical Hawaii tourist spots.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and from the moment I arrived, they made me feel right at home. Teas, beverages, fresh macadamia nuts, and home-made baked treats waited in the dining room (daily). Every detail was planned for in the rooms: bathrobes, slippers, ear plugs -- just in case the local roosters wander near the home in the morning - wonderfully soft towels, and THE most comfortable beds with feather duvets, etc. That first night I slept so well, that I hated to get out of bed, but knowing that breakfast was waiting, I managed!

Breakfast is served in the dining room. Chef Brian (I hope I am spelling his name right) greeted me and explained his creation for the day. He told me that there are 33 acres of land at the Inn, and that they try to grow as much of the fruit and food served at the inn on the property. They have hens that lay eggs daily and they also grow their own coffee! Needless to say, the food was ABSOLUTELY delicious!!! And so healthy. Each morning guests raved about the feast, and I found myself lingering at the table longer and longer, soaking in the views and the company. It felt like home.

Both Kona and the airport are much closer than you would imagine, and I actually found it a pleasure to return to the inn after spending the day down at the ocean.

Noe and Kat were fabulous, as well -- offering local tips, directions, help in arranging reservations, etc. After staying for 3 nights, I actually ended up booking 4 more and staying for the week!! I have to say that it was one of the most relaxing, magical, and restorative weeks I have had in years. I have traveled all over the world and stayed at some of the finest hotels, and I have to tell you that this is my absolute favorite place of all! I literally thought about it repeatedly upon returning home, and I cannot wait to return again.

As for room recommendations: they are all very nice, but I would request Hibiscus or the Gardenia Suite, because they offer beautiful vistas. I also stayed in the Coffee Cherry room on the other side of the Inn, with a private hot tub -- views of the gardens -- it was nice being on the main floor, and I loved the privacy and tucked in feeling of the room -- with your own private entrance, it was just very tranquil.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
So many people rely on what you and countless others share about their experiences. We sincerely appreciate your incredible review of our Inn, our staff, and our property. It is our intention to make all who come to stay... long to return. Mahalo nui loa from all of us at Holualoa Inn!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We absolutely loved our stay! We are both seasoned travelers and this ranks in the top five places we've ever stayed. Everything was super elegant and every detail was thought of - from the beautiful antiques, to the fruit grown on the property served to us, to the freshly baked evening snacks. The staff make you feel like part of the family. The breakfasts were literally amazing, I had to take photos. Everything was immaculate and perfectly placed. Our room was spacious (bigger than it looks on the site!) with a beautiful view. Details like the iPod dock, free wi-fi, and make-up towels were all much appreciated.
The only thing that I did not love is the use of some kind of fabric softener on the sheets - I am really sensitive to odors and prefer a dry-feeling cotton to the softener, waxy feel. I have no doubt though that I had known they used it before I went and requested scent-free sheets, it would have happened. The staff was really great.
All of the equipment we borrowed was in top shape - beach towels, beach umbrellas, boogie boards, coolers, etc. How nice it was to not stay at a resort and be charged $22 for parking, and $12 for snorkel gear and $10 for towels.
We loved our stay and dream about going back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
IslandSerenity, General Manager at Holualoa Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
On behalf of the Holualoa Inn team, we thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. Many people rely on your feedback, and we do too! As a result, we are no longer using the fragrant softener that you referred to. Your feedback is important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holualoa Inn. Mahalo for your contribution, Noelani Ubaldo, Manager
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My new Husband and I spent 6 nights/7 days in Hawaii for our honeymoon, May 2010. Our entire stay was at the Holualoa Inn. The Inn is nestled on a foothill of a volcano in the TINY town of Holualoa. As you turn down a long driveway, you are surrounded by jungle plants, trees, and flowers. You may see a wild turkey and many exotic birds. The inn is off the road and cut off by their acres of land from any other buildings or roads. The inn is open and inviting, as are many Hawaiian buildings, the walls slide open at many parts creating na amazing outdoor feeling anywhere you are. The dark luxurious wood and amazing decor give the inn a rich, relaxing feel. Being on a hill, the inn is in a cloud forest. It keeps the temprature down compared to the coast, not cold, but you will never have a sweaty uncomfortable sleep! Its wonderful! Do not be detered by the term "cloud forest", it is not always cloudy! Each morning was bright and sunny, weather in Hawaii changes fast no matter where you are, it can rain one minute and blow away the next. It mostly rained at night during our stay, and was never a bother at all. SInce the inn is on the hill, you have a wonderful view of Kona and the big wide ocean. Many rooms have this view as well, and your breakfast table. The rooms are large, bathrooms are big and roomy. The bed was so comfortable, room was very very clean, the ceiling fan created a nice breezy room. The inn is wonderful for many reasons other then its beauty, no need to pack beach towels or go rent snorkel gear, they provide you with them! We used beach towels almost every day and fresh new ones were put in our room each time. The washer and dryer are awesome as well, we were able to pack light and do some laundry at the inn. You will find that the staff will usually change you clothes over for you:). The staff is the most freindliest group of people you could meet. Chef Brian greeted us at the entrance of the Inn, where he had us remove our shoes, a wonderful inn "rule". He gave us a grand tour and explained all the perks and happenings at the inn. Every morning he serves you a plate of various fruits grown on their property, anything from strwberry papaya to yogurt with banana jam. Then your second course of more delicious food mostly grown on the inns land, eggs from thier chickens, herbs from thier gardens, avacado from their trees, etc. The food was delicious, stuffed avacado, coconut pineapple waffles, omlets with quacamole, sausage, cheese, asparagus, etc. Gets your day started right! You can even have Brian make you a romantic meal anywhere on the property (there are many goazebo/a rooftop lookout/poolside spots). For a little extra he packs you lunch too! Noalani and her small staff of kind people are so helpful and sweet. They will give advice and recomendations with honesty. Noalani even french braided my hair for snorkeling! They will make reservations for you and call any place to ask questions you may have, even set up a massage in their private gazebo for you. They are amazing, there are only a handful of staff there at any given time, not crowded, and they are all gone by aroun 6 so you have the inn to yourselves. There was only one other couple staying during our time there, and Thursday we were alone! There are only 6 rooms at the inn so it will never feel too crowded even at full capacity. We had an amazing secluded honeymoon and couldnt asked for more! There is an avacado tree that drops avacados all day, we picked one up and made quacamole one night in the downstairs full kitchen/living room that is open to you whenever you like, opens straight to the goreous pool. Its so homey and comfortable feeling, undescribable! Our stay would have been completely different if we stayed down in Kona, or at a mega-resort. Its only 10 minutes from the inn to Kona and totally worth it! It is so quiet and beautiful you may just lay by the pool all day! Even just walking around the property and seeing all the kinds of fruit trees and flowers growing averywhere is relaxing. There are great pictures on their website, but its even prettier in person, and the rooms are bigger then the pictures make them seem. This inn is for anyone wanting the relaxing, quiet Hawaiian experience with all the luxuries! I would highly recomend it to anyone! My husband and I can not find a single negitive thing to say about the inn or the staff, we cant thank them enough for the unforgetable honeymoon they gave us!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Aloha my friends! We are honored that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us at Holualoa Inn. On behalf of Brian and the whole team, we thank you for your review and for the new friendships created. Hope to see you on you anniversary! Malama pono, Noelani Ubaldo, Manager
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Holualoa Inn in Kona, Hawaii. The staff were extremely friendly and knowledgable about the surounding areas and provided great tips on local restraunts and attractions. Would highly recomend this inn if your looking to get a way from the hustle and bustle of the hotel/resort scene.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Holualoa Inn O, Guest Relations Manager at Holualoa Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2015
Consider Holualoa Inn your Big Island home away from home and our staff your Big Island ohana! We hope you'll come home often. Our coffee trees are full of flowers today which we call Kona snow. It's absolutely beautiful and a walk through the orchards swells so sweet. It's still a bit chilly, so our fireplace is ablaze as well, adding a wonderful smoky aroma. It's such a treat to see our guests relaxing with a good book in front of the fire. Mahalo nui loa for taking the time to write such a beautiful review. Let us know if you want a set of our sheets and we'll be sure to keep a place for you at the breakfast table. Aloha nui loa, Kathryn and your Holualoa Inn Ohana
Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2010

This was our first bed & breakfast vacation, and I'm afraid nothing will EVER match the wonderful time we had here on our anniversary. Furnishings were elegant; the Hibiscus Room was tastefully decorated, beautifully furnished and had sweeping views of the Pacific. We watched cruise ships sail in; we watched glorious sunsets. The bed, linens, even the soap, were spectacular. Breakfast, from the fresh fruit grown on the premises, to the innovations of chef Brian, and the home-grown Kona coffee, kept us going all day. Snacks and fresh juice in the afternoon, and a surprise slice of fresh lime pie in our ohana refrigerator were yummy. We were lucky in that for some of our 7-night, 8-day stay, we had the inn almost to ourselves. It was like having our own private home in Hawaii, where shoes are left at the lanai and an ohana spirit fills the house. We felt stress slip away almost immediately upon our arrival. Who could ask for anything more?
My favorite place was the crow's nest on the roof, where the trade winds blew and the sunsets were unbelieveable. The pool was clear and cold; the roosters pleasant; the geckos colorful; the torch ginger plants beautiful, even the mongoose seemed comfortable!
We were treated like family and yet, our privacy was ensured. We loved the place and will visit again.
Our only suggestion would be to make the entire grounds of the inn and its surroundings completely smoke-free (the inn itself is a no-smoking zone, but the entire property should be, too, in our opinion).
One other note: Our bill contained an error, but the staff found the mistake and corrected it within a few days after we got back home, before we even noticed. Now that's integrity.
Elegance, integrity, family. A great vacation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
konagidg, public relations/marketing at Holualoa Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Aloha and thank you for your comprehensive and complimentary review. As a small, luxury inn, our guests referrals and word of mouth recommendations are extremely important for us. We appreciate you as an "official" ambassador of Holualoa Inn! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Washington
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Simply put, Holualoa Inn was the best B&B we've ever visited. From the moment Noe greeted us with beautiful fragrant leis, we felt like family. The layout of the Inn is such that although there were other guests, it seemed as if we were staying at our own private island retreat.

The Inn is conveniently located only 15 minutes from Kailua-Kona but you'll feel like you're in another world. And if you're a golfer, Makalei Golf Club and Kona Country Club are also a mere 15-20 minute drive.

We stayed in the Gardenia Suite with panoramic views of the Kona coast. The view was rivaled only by the one to be found from the rooftop gazebo, our favorite morning spot. The bed was as comfortable as any we've slept in and stepping into the rock shower was like being treated to a foot massage each morning. Sheets and towels rivaled those we've had in 5-star hotels. We also appreciated the double sinks and special touches like fresh flowers by the bed and handmade soap.

Breakfast was served in one of the common rooms with incredible coastal views at a communal table that facilitated interesting conversation with other guests. Brian's breakfast treats were outstanding starting with fresh juices, Kona coffee and a large plate of local fruits including several we'd never tried before. This was followed by a hot entree that was different and delicious each morning. In the afternoon, drinks and snacks were set out in the same room. If dinner had also been offered, we might never have set foot off the property. But Holuakoa Cafe, about 1/4 mile away, offers dinner several nights a week and there are numerous restaurants in Kailua-Kona. The staff provided great restaurant suggestions and procured reservations for us. There is a also a guest kitchen for those who feel ambitious enough to cook.

When we did wander off the property, the staff provided us with snorkel gear, excellent suggestions for snorkeling spots as well as tips on where to stop along the way for shopping and dining.

We treated ourselves to a Couples Massage in the open air gazebo on our last evening. The therapists were amazing. It was a perfect way to wrap up our first, but certainly not our last stay. Holualoa Inn renewed our love of the Big Island. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
We love sharing "Our Island Paradise" with guests from throughout the world. We have a room -- and massage table -- waiting for you and hope to see you back here at Holualoa Inn very soon. Many thanks for your kind words, Your Holualoa Inn Ohana (family)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holualoa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Holualoa Inn? Share your experiences!