“This inn has it all: stunning view, serene setting, knowledgeable staff, and delicious food.”
Review of Holualoa Inn

Holualoa Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Holualoa B&B and Inns
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed at the Holualoa Inn for two nights before traveling to a conference in Honolulu. This B&B is well worth the price: tranquil setting back from the road and above the crowds; friendly, knowledgeable staff who coordinated dinner reservations to two excellent restaurants; delicious breakfast and snacks with emphasis on local ingredients. The in-ground pool is lined with cobalt blue tile . Each room is different, but all are spotlessly clean. The common areas are paneled with rich, polished woods; and the decor is strongly Asian influenced. In the morning, I heard a rooster crowing, and in the evening, the tree frogs sang us to sleep. The manager and staff are local and sincerely welcoming. A one-of-a-kind experience!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaseyLincoln_NE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Altadena, California
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This is an incredibly beautiful and serene Inn with THE most wonderful staff you will find anywhere. We nearly took over the whole Inn, which has six rooms, we took five. We were treated to the heavenly breakfasts of Brian the Great and the Kona Coffee from the property! Every one of the people at this Inn are special and we adore them...but I have to tell you about Noe...She is a very special woman, for more reasons than I can say here...but she made our stay feel like we were at home...welcome... and loved. During our stay my husband and I celebrated our anniversary and Noe along with her awesome husband Hector, went to a special place on the island to collect flowers the night before our anniversary and then made both of us the most beautiful fragrant leis in the world...who does that? Noe and Hector do!!! Hector and his friend also took my husband, brother in law and son out fishing...where they had a once in a lifetime experience. It was the most relaxing zen vacations I have ever had....and to feel so at home, loved and cared for...you just cannot get any better than that! You must go there...you will not be sorry.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Gabriellest
Altadena
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Where to start? Well it was our annual family vacation complete with six stressed out execs and one very loving but fiesty two year old. Just traveling with a two year old could make or break a trip but I forwarned Noe, Diane and the rest of the fabulous staff and they were ready. The rooms were beautiful and very clean. The decor was fantastic and very well thought out. Walking the labrynth was amazing as was the sunsets. Truly a time of decompression from the fast paced lives we lead. I think what I loved best was that it was our house for 12 blissful days. Meaning anything we wanted to do or not do was completely our choice and the staff made sure we were well kept. Breakfasts were amazing, my son would run and open the shoji door to the kitchen and high five Brian as he cooked then into the office to see the girls. Even more amazing is how many times Noe and Diane picked up the little one so that we could eat! I cannot say enough about all of them. Everyone at the Holualoa became part of our family or we became part of their's not quite sure but the fact that I could name them all two weeks after the vacation has got to mean something. So I highly recommend staying and experiencing the Aloha spirit at the Holualoa Inn and Noe, Diane, Steve, Chris, Landon, Jake, Brian, Kai, Arlene and Cat thank you so very much.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank moxie1966
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed August 19, 2009

....Assuming you want to visit the Big Island and want utter beauty and crowd-less serenity.......but also want to be no more than 10-15 minutes from a terrific dinner or other signs of civilization. And mainly because the the property itself is so stunning, as well as the people who work and live there, makes the place special. These people- Noe and her husband Hector, daughter (Empress) Kai, Diane, and a kick-you know- what breakfast cook and person named Brian, and other beautiful/wonderful people: Kat, Chris, Landon, Jake, Arlene, Steve, and masseuse Lokelani, just imbibe the Aloha spirit and I began to wonder what I've been missing in my life, or at least what I can ADD to my life back on the mainland. So far the answer that I get is: Being at ease in my skin in my work environment- these folks, for the most part even with life's inevitable downs, Really enjoy where they work because I've never seen so many unforced or non-fake smiles. I immediately became infected and starting doing the same. What a concept!.....duh. So they, and the land, offer a ton- as in ways that can't be measured. And if you're a loner and do not want to interact, and just get peace and quiet, the place has that in equal share. ...Sigh....

The property feels and appears to be physically located pretty much in heaven. It's situated on a beautiful hillside close to town, but in the middle of a freaking coffee plantation up on a hillside, yet minutes to downtown Kona and the beaches, with cows baying in the distance and all kinds of tropical birds and beauty surrounding you.....it's the whole ten yards. (A realtor would have a field day selling this place with all the possible descriptions, but I hope they never do.) the decor of the place is stunning: Asian antiques. Gorgeous but not over-stated. The family, however was always on high alert at breakfast when my 2 yr. old nephew would pick up and try to play "the guitar." (That was something I did NOT want to find out how much it would cost to replace!) The spread-out, gorgeous, bamboo-floored, mulit-leveled building (only 4 or 5 parking spaces!! I love it!) is well away from the small road from which you arrive, and there are living rooms that open right out into lawns and gardens. Don't worry about the occasional mongoose (like a small yellow squirrel) or other critters- they don't want to deal with humans if they can help it. And the layout is perfectly located if you want to cruise to the rest of Big Island, which we easily did. We met families who had been there for 50-100 years. For ex, we caught the stunning Mauna Lea Summit volcano/star gazing tour (ask for guide "Rick" and tip him and everyone well) about 15 minutes away in a local shopping center. Simple. (don't go if you have a hard time with low oxygen, the mountain is at a tad below 14K! But they only have you up there for about 15 minutes anyways. Seeing the place was like being on the top of the world for about 15 min., and indeed, including the mountain measured below see level, MK is the world's tallest mountain. The star-gazing spot using their 11" GPS-tracking telescopes is possibly the best star-gazing on this planet, bar none, because at the location they use you get a nearly 180 degree arc view of our dense galaxy at 9,000 feet, while in warm parkers. Wait till you see your Milky Way galaxy at 9K feet, with many shooting stars, just after it gets dark! Holy cow!! Also- I have no affiliation with this particular outfit- but that Rick is as smart and a good star guide, and I've never seen so many stars, ever. The company is well-organized and prepared with parkas and gloves, and even the vegie wrap box dinner was decent..)

But my family is a (soon to not be) stressed-out family of executives- so the first three days of the 12 day vacation we did absolutely nothing.....and that allowed us to decompress and regain our senses, literally. Walking in the coffee plantation early morning brought me new perspectives. But what I really enjoyed was on the top (fourth) level of the somewhat Asian styled structure. They have an incredible look-out point on the top of the house. -A covered look-out promenade that has gorgeous, open, iron railing with 2 comfy loungers, along with a beautific Buddha statue, all of which allows you to look out for miles over the Pacific and Kona in utter Stillness. I could almost not believe how utterly peaceful that place is/was, and the stress just evaporated from my body. That place is like floating in heaven. Massages in the Lanai were heavenly, but I think next time I'm going to offer to carry the masseuse table up there myself, because that place is so special. The views are incredible, yet the place is close to town- it's the best of all worlds. The sounds you sometimes hear are large payayas and huge avocados falling from the trees. All I can suggest is that if you go there, you must absolutely WANT to relax, or have a good time in a beautiful place that you can make as your meeting point as you explore the island by day. (If you want an all-day bar on a crowded beach go to one of the major luxury hotels.) From the black sand beach to the Waimea valley, to snorkeling with the dolphins (don't approach them!) near Captain Cook bay, you can go as wild in the sun as you like. Or not and just vege. It's all there.

Lastly, beware of the cops and their radar guns at the bottom of the main drive to town- Loke drive- friendly guys, but their speed limit is strictly enforced at 25mph- but that and the 8-10 minute drive to the ocean and Kona is a very small price to pay for the truly central location of the property, and the incredible breakfasts that they serve. You will be served amazing fruit you never knew existed, plus the main breakfast courses are the best on the planet, and I've been all over the planet. Us Seattle-ites love our coffee. The coffee they sell is one of the very finest, if not the finest coffee I've ever had. That's a little scary coming from me. Lunches and dinners- you are on your own, so it helped that my brother-in-law and brother caught some serious tuna with Hector on his boat. There's a nice kitchen downstairs next to the pool (no stove but microwave & outdoor propane grill) so we had lunches covered. There are a few excellent restaurants- for for casual AND great food: Kewii (sp?) cafe in Keulauna (sp?)and Jackie Rey's come to mind, along with the usual so-so fare but stellar views at the many luxury hotels. Make sure you make any reservations for "cruise ship Wednesdays" on the prior Monday or it will be more difficult to get a reservation anywhere on Weds. You'll also need a rental car and Kona only has a couple of rockin' places, but they do rock (and with you'll get Hawaiian as well.) Noe and Diane seem to know everything about the island (having been raised there) and can handle everything, but don't tell them I said that! They are the greatest. Have a blast and also relax like never before. Your planetary friend with an newly awakened sense of Aloha that seems to be continuing in my mainland life... at least for now
- Christopher R.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SagAdventurer
New York
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The setting of Holualoa Inn could not be better especially if you want quiet and breathtaking views of the coast and much cooler than staying down in overcrowded Kona. They are located high up in the hills and also have a beautiful pool as well as an observatory. Spectacular grounds, set on a coffee plantation, fruit trees and flowers abound. Staff and Service was wonderful, friendly and helpful about sites to see, what to do, etc. They make breakfast special and different every morning and the coffee was great made from their own beans! They provide all beach needs and even a washer and dryer. It was truly a relaxing and memorable experience which we hope to repeat again. Don't miss staying at this very special place if you plan to be in this area of Hawaii. Thanks again Noe, Brian and all your staff for your service; it's depressing to be back home, Rod and Janet

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janrod08
Julian, Ca
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Seasoned travelors can book at the Holualoa Inn with complete confidence - perfection is the word that comes to mind. The quality, amentiies and the details that one expects and hopes will be awaiting them when braving booking at an unknown destination await you here. We loved this place and the tranquility and opulance that were there for us to enjoy along with all the activities that one expects to partake in an island visit. Romantic, my yes!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EastwoodJulian
NC
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Beautiful private residence on 33 acres of coffee plantation and fields converted to a B&B. Furnished with the owner's beautiful works of art from Bali as well as local artists' work on exhibition. Wonderful views of the ocean and within walking distance of a fabulous restaurant and bakery plus many art galleries. Staff were incredible and made us feel like family. Always friendly and always had time to chat and answer our questions. Noe, Steve, Chris, Diane, Arlene, Jake, Brian...thanks to you all and anyone else I forgot to mention. You're the best! Must see the inn's website for photos and more description.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula_N_E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holualoa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Holualoa Inn? Share your experiences!