“Convenient, Cost Effective and Exceptional Service”
Review of Dolphin Bay

Dolphin Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
“Convenient, Cost Effective and Exceptional Service”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent one night at this little gem and although not the most modern looking hotel it embodied exactly what we were looking for; comfort, convenience and cost effectiveness.

Check in was a breeze, took less than 60 seconds as I had prepaid the reservation, and we were off to our room. The room was clean and large with a fully furnished kitchen area with range, refrigerator and microwave as well as plates glasses and utensils, perfect for those staying for a number of days and looking to save on restaurant eating expenses. The bed was comfortable and the room had both a ceiling fan and a desk fan which kept it very pleasant.

Breakfast is included in the price and was fresh fruit, bananas, papayas and oranges as well as banana bread, tea and coffee in the morning; a nice change from the very heavy and often expensive buffets you will find at the major hotels.

All of the above said, what makes a good hotel a great hotel is their ability and desire to go the extra mile and the folks at Dolphin Bay did exactly that. We checked out early and drove to the airport where we returned our rental car and checked in for our flight. It was then my wife discovered she did not have her phone. I called the hotel to see if it was there and wasn't put on hold but the woman who answered walked right upstairs to our room and immediately found it. I was just about to ask her to mail it to our home (unfortunate as we are headed for two weeks in Australia from here it had no way to get back to the hotel) when the woman at the other end said, "Let me see if I can get Bob to bring this out to you. I will call you right back." True to her word she called me back to say that Bob was on his way and 15 minutes later he handed me the phone. I attempted to tip Bob for this exceptional service but he would have none of that. He simply said "my pleasure" and off he went.

As I said earlier in this review, service is what makes good hotels great and I can certainly say that we had a great experience at the Dolphin Bay. I am confident that if you choose to stay there you will as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eric G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was a little concerned about what this hotel would be like but we loved it. It is a bit dated but everything was clean and in working order. It is a two storey building with a laidback feel and lovely tropical gardens front and back. We had a friendly and prompt check in.

Breakfast was great, healthy and tasty - bananas from their own trees, papayas, fresh banana bread and tea or coffee. Help yourself and take it back to eat on the lanai. What a great start to the morning. We did make our own tea by boiling water in the microwave as we find the water in America is never hot enough for tea.

The bed was comfortable and the shower was spacious and good pressure. There was a ceiling fan and wall fan plus the breeze coming in through the doors so we were never hot. It's an easy 10 min walk into town where there are shops and restaurants. We would happily stay there again if ever in Hilo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aussies_living_in_UK
Melbourne
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The staff were super friendly and helpful. It's more of a motel than a hotel, but still lovely nonetheless. There was a supply of fresh fruit and coffee at breakfast. It is a 10 minute walk to downtown. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. My room was equipped with a kitchen and fridge, which made it handy to store my food and drinks. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The owners definitely look after this place and take pride in their hotel. I definitely feel I got my money's worth. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Candace P
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This place lived up to expectations from Trip advisor reviews. It has that old fashioned motel feel, bright, light, no airconditioning just fans. The staff are friendly and helpful but the nicest part was the old fashioned service, fresh coffee, banana cake and fruit from their trees every morning. Fantastic! We loved it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Dolphin Bay Hotel, As noted by others in the review, the rooms were clean and spartan. We did not have need of the kitchenette but I can see how it would be useful to families needing to make lunches or breakfast.
The owner / manager John was very helpful with information, suggestions and maps.
All in all we would recommend it as a nice and lower cost alternative to a B&B or tourist hotels in Hilo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Embeedee
Margate, NJ
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Rooms are cozy & pleasant. The Dolphin Bay wasn't luxury - but for a quick night (or two) after two long flights - it was 'Just right". Well priced and a 10 minute walk to downtown. The desk was helpful & professional.

We had two kids & the pull out bed was great.
Rooms are equipped w. rotating fans & the breeze from Hilo was great.
Breakfast was bananas - ripped off the tree, papaya, breads & an endless supply of hot coffee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TheTravelDudeAbides
North Babylon, NY
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here while exploring the volcano and found it plain, but very clean. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit available in the lobby from the surrounding trees.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Dolphin Bay? Share your experiences!