“Wow! What a surprise!”
Review of Dolphin Bay

Dolphin Bay
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was raised on this side of the island and now live in Kona. My daughter wanted to hike Hilo and hamakua as her Christmas gift so I rented us a room for the night. I was so impressed. This is NOT a resort but everything about it made us happy! Great location for a local girl. Little kitchen, coffee, cocoa, pastries, nice people...I'd consider staying here for a weeks vacation if I could. Wonderful

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank 808mccracken
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Bay

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The woman at the front desk (I'm embarrassed I did not get her name), was extremely pleasant and helpful for all our questions and more. She alerted us the the farmer's market (only occurs 2-times a week) the following morning, a great trek to see lava flow at Kilauea, and more. Fruit was available anytime, and coffee and pastries were available early in the morning. It was a brief, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Wow, talk about "coming home!" The Dolphin Bay is a former two-story apartment complex in a very old, verdant part of town, just across the old sugar cane bridge that crosses the Wailuku River into old down town. Incredibly lush, quiet, and like stepping back into my days as a student at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. We stayed in a one-bedroom apartment with a double bed and three single beds, plus kitchen, for half of what it would have cost to hole up in one of the old, run-down "tourist" hotels on Banyan Drive. Totally comfy and cozy, great hosts, wonderful coffee service with all you can eat, freshly picked bananas and papayas from the garden. NOT FANCY!!!! If you're looking for a five-piece bathroom suite in travertine tile, you're on the wrong side of the island! But if you want to feel instantly at home in one of the last great plantation towns in the islands, you can't beat the Dolphin Bay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The first time that I stayed at DBH was in 2006. This time, it was 5 of us adventure seeking friends. The place is as I remember, just friendly and helpful island folk, extremely clean rooms, beautiful grounds and a lovely, light and free breakfast. Parking was still tight, but certainly not a deal breaker. I loved that it was not air conditioned and I loved the fans. I loved having the windows open to hear the tree frogs. For three of us in the party, staying at DBH made us nostalgic over our times living in the Caribbean or the Philippines. Its location was so close to the restaurants and shopping. We will return and you ought to book your stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in their only two bedroom apartment. There was only one bathroom, but we made it work.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Cute, clean, comfortable. An older property, simple, definitely nothing fancy but a good value, a relaxing energy, and superior service with very friendly staff. The grounds have a nice tropical feel and it's very relaxing. Dolphin Bay is located in a quiet part of Hilo fairly close to downtown, but be forewarned: the coqui frogs will be singing all night. They're a real problem on this side of the island. And with no A/C you will probably have your windows open. Just think of them as a soothing symphony to fall asleep to. The folks at Dolphin Bay go out of their way to help any way they can, and help you make the most of your time on this side of the island with great suggestions for places to visit and things to see. Simple continental breakfast with fresh fruit daily. Kitchenettes in the room can help keep the cost down if you decide not to eat out.

Room Tip: They tend to sell out so be sure to book a room well in advance.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ExploreTheBigIsland
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband & I stayed there for 3 nights in Dec (2012) and were thrilled. While not a new facility, the rooms were clean, the staff excellent and just totally relaxing. If you need the big hotel amenities then this may not be the place for you. There is no air-conditioning but it certainly wasn't needed the nights we were there. The windows open, listening to the frogs, wall mounted fan was all that was needed. Fresh coffee, bakery items, and fruit each morning was a great way to meet the rest of the occupants. They only have 18 (I think) rooms equipped with a small kitchen area if you want to do something quick and not go out. Mr. Rubbles (the cat) was another nice surpise. I had seen a video of him on their website, so my husband and I bought him some treats and he came to visit us a couple of times a day. They make you feel at home. If we are lucky enough to get back to Hilo this would be the 1st place we would stay. Thank you to the management for making us feel welcome.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed on 2 separate nights a week apart, as we traveled around the island. My travel companion had stayed there in the past, and he was excited to have me experience this hotel. Overall, I liked it a lot.

The hotel is located on a nice, quiet street a short walk from the old section of Hilo. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, and the kitchenette was a nice amenity -- well stocked and useful. We loved the free papayas and bananas fresh off the trees. The garden out back is beautiful, and it's fun to see all the bananas on the trees waiting to be picked. We loved listening to the birds singing as we slept.

I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Arnott's Lodge
Arnott's Lodge
#1 of 7 in Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Dolphin Bay? Share your experiences!