“Perfect mix of science & island culture”

Imiloa Astronomy Center
Ranked #21 of 86 things to do in Hilo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was visiting the Gemini Observatory data center and HQ for business, dropped-off my family at the Imiloa so they could kill a few hours while I was meeting with Gemini engineering groups, wound-up being one of their highlights of our entire Big Island trip! They came away explaining all kinds of science topics about the universe and several local cultural stories about ancient navigation etc. There was also a Hawaii state science fair with a lot of projects from local science students, so my kids got a few ideas for future projects. Had lunch in the on-site restaurant after my meetings, they do a great loco-moco!

All reviews
"interesting place"
"nice museum"
"fascinating information"

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We visited the museum, science center and indigenous peoples center. When we first drove up, my thought was, "Well, this won't take long". Wrong! We spent the entire day there. Your admittance fee includes one of four 3D movies. You get to choose the one you want. My only issue with this attraction is that the 3D glasses didn't seem to work very well. The story boards were interesting and we learned more about the Hawaiian people, volcanoes, navigating the Pacific, not to mention the universe. The employees were extremely helpful and walked up to you to ask if you had any questions. Even if we didn't, they started talking about the exhibit where we were standing, and we were glad they did. We had lunch in the Sky Garden Restaurant, ordering off the menu rather than partaking of the buffet. It was average.

2  Thank Patricia H
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We toured the Astronomy Center while on our recent honeymoon. The center is well designed and many of the interactive activities are interesting. However, overall this isn't something I would do again. Maybe if I was with some children I would have enjoyed it more. As a honeymooning couple, we didn't get much out of the place.

1  Thank janeandphilc
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I visited with my 4 yr old daughter and was very impressed with the quality of the exhibits, even though most were a little too advanced for my daughter to understand. I especially liked the globe projection showing a time-lapse of earthquakes around the world over the past month. The planetarium show was excellent as well. Well worth the visit. I hope to go again sometime when I can spend more time exploring the exhibits and my daughter will understand more of what's going on. Unfortunately I had to skim over a lot of it this time with her limited attention span.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 18, 2013

So glad my husband preferred we visit Imiloa to other sites for our last morning on the Big Island. This is a wonderful place for "wrapping up" your trip to the Big Island. You can review your trip and learn a little more while you are there. If you are lucky you will wittness students performing assignment tasks while using the hands on learning stations. Kau district students were there and we saw first hand the value of this special place. My husband and I saw two of the featured films. One that tied us to a Mauna Kea Summit tour and one that tied us to the history/culture of the Hawaiian people. Great ending to a wonderful 50th wedding anniversary trip to our 50th state.