“50/50”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Rhode Island
“50/50”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Our first night in Hilo we walked to Sombats and waited in line for awhile. Good sign! The place was very busy but well worth the wait. My wife had an eggplant dish that was definately the best example of Thai food I've ever had! I love Thai food so I've had my fair share. I had Basil Thai beef and it was very good. We decided that we would return again it was that good. Two days later I ordered the same eggplant dish and was so dissappointed! I think it may have been a different chef or they overdid it on the salt, not good. My wife tried it and agreed that it wasn't the same. oh well. I don't know what happened but it probably was just a fluke. The place always had a line out the door and the prices are fair for Hawaii. Aside from that second night salt bomb I'd go back. I had enjoyed some of the best Thai food ever.

Visited July 2014

Toronto, Canada
“really fresh herbs in dishes, generic menu but well executed”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Looking at the menu of this restaurant, I did not get too excited about the food as it seemed to mostly have the generic thai menu items (pad thai, curry, etc). But, with very good ratings, and not finding too many other food options in Hilo, thought we would try it.

We ordered a red curry and pad thai. While the pad thai was ok, the red curry was transcendent. While pretty normal to look at, in terms of taste, you could taste every single herb used in the curry, it was just so fresh. Walking out of the restaurant, you notice some of the fresh herbs being grown and used in the dishes, so maybe that is why. I have tried to replicate the fresh curry taste with as many fresh herbs as i could, but have not been able to acheive it yet (though my lemon grass is almost ready.. so maybe sooon).

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly incredible”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

An uninspiring exterior - and incredibly delicious, fresh thai food - amazingly spiced. Super friendly charming staff - definitely worth a stop by if you're in Hilo

Visited July 2014
Managua, Nicaragua
“some great, some okay dishes”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I've been here four times. i'd say one third of the dishes have been really great...unique, nicely spiced and varied. but then some of the standard dishes have just been okay...like the Pad thai or Larb. So I would recommend going for the more unusual dishes. those seem to be the best here. go early or make a reservation if you can. this place is often crowded. it has limited outdoor seating. Staff is very friendly.

• Visited June 2014
Hilo, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“In response to the "Closed Often" review”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

It is understandable for someone to be upset after driving to a restaurant only to find out it is closed, but it is rude for a person to make a conclusion about a place they have never attended. No, Sombat's is not a restaurant just for the locals. In fact, MANY of Sombat's customers are tourists. This restaurant is open all year long, and has been open for around ten years now. Sombat and her staff work very hard every day of the week (not including Sundays). So don't you think they deserve a break as well? You have come to Hawaii for a vacation, but do you assume that no one else goes on vacations? Is Sombat not allowed to take a month off from a year's work to go on a vacation that she worked very hard for? Yes, Sombat's Fresh Thai Cuisine was closed for the month of June, and takes a month off around summertime annually, because Sombat and her staff are normal people that would like a break/ vacation from work just like the rest of the world. It is unfortunate you were not able to dine in at Sombat's, but please at least attend a restaurant before you make a conclusion or review about it.

• Visited July 2014