“Greasy hole in the wall with amazing food”

Sombat's Fresh Thai Cuisine
Ranked #9 of 258 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This place fills up. Make a reservation. We did not and had to come back the next day. It is not much to look at but the food was great and the service was good.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The best Thai food I have ever had, with a unique flavour that relies on fresh herbs and other quality ingredients. Not to be missed, if you are in Hilo, and walking distance from all the hotels on Banyan Drive. I ordered a curry and added chicken. The amount of chicken was generous and so delicious. I opted for "mild plus" as advised by the server, and that was perfect for me. Our appetizer, chicken satay skewers, was much larger than we expected. We went a little early, as this place gets very busy.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I made a meal of a number of appetizers and salads. The fresh spring rolls, fried tofu, papaya salad and garb lai (minced chicken) were all outstanding. I wish we had had time to go back again to sample more of the menu!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Amazing Thai food here. It's a smaller establishment, and we got there when it was totally full. We waited for about 15 minutes, and were glad we did. The service was a little slow, but this had to do with trying to get everyone seated. If I go back, I won't mind waiting again because the food was so good.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

They take reservations, good, the guy that greatest our party at the door was our waiter as well as the other 5 tables.

I'm glad they are busy, they should be, they make good food, but he is getting killed by the workload ... When the lady came out of the kitchen about halfway through our meal he was able to catch up, he needs her to help.

Food was good, not bad, not amazing, but go and you'll be happy you did... With improved service it could be really good

They do need a better location, parking lot is not next to entrance