“Excellent fresh food”
Review of Hilo Bay Cafe

Hilo Bay Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Hilo Bay Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 254 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American, Japanese, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Contemporary restaurant with emphasis on innovative cuisine using fresh, local, and organic ingredients--a Hilo town favorite gathering place. Full food and beverage service with indoor and outdoor lanai seating and large room for special events. Much of the restaurant has expansive views of Hilo bay, Mauna Kea, and Hilo town. Full bar, original recipes, artisan sushi, and keiki menu. Large parties are welcome. Come as you are or come as your best dressed self--we appreciate both! Reservations recommended. *For current menus, please visit our website, as TripAdvisor does not give businesses the capability to update menu content.*
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Great service, waitress went out of her way to make sure we had everything, even special requests. Soup of the day Italian Wedding Soup was better than moms!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had a luncheon here with a large group. Service was excellent and the food was good, but the prices are $$$$. Parking can be difficult because the parking lot shares spaces with other nearby attractions like the Liliuokalani Gardens.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hilo Bay Café used to be one of my favorite restaurants--not anymore. I went there twice. the location is fantastic, the views are amazing. They seem to have hired mostly new help and have lost the customer service they used to be known for. I took my friend there for her birthday and was VERY disappointed. the menu has changed. My daughter & I ordered iced tea, had to wait (a long time) for sweetener and then had to ask several times for refills. the food was fair at best. I ordered fish & chips (my old time favorite) and they have French fries I can get at McDonalds. My friend ordered a hamburger and out came a naked burger on a bun with a wilted piece of lettuce & small tomato on the side. I ordered some nigiri sushi and it was tasty but very small for a big price. would gladly spend the $$$ if the food and service were worth it but will definitely dine else where. I miss the OLD Hilo Bay Café for sure.

3  Thank roxierowe
Reviewed February 11, 2014

So its by the bay now and the Banyan hotels not by the Wal Mart. It's was a former Japanese restaurant and still has the similar feel as before. You walk up steep steps. We were seated by the bar. The waitresses have a lot of tats (sleeves) I ordered scallops- I received four relatively small ones not exactly medium for $29 and a little linguine. It was tasty but obviously expensive

1  Thank surferboyVA
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Horrible service!!! Not impressed with food either, they had none of the food pictured on website. I would not go there again, nor would i recommend anyone to go there. The view is beautiful though. The aioli is just bottled mayo. Yuck!!!!

2  Thank Rachael G