“Perfect in every aspect”

At the Beach with Friends Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Perfect in every aspect”
Reviewed August 1, 2007

All I can say is WOW. We had booked a last minute trip and scrambled to find a place to say. Claudia had someone cancel and we were lucky enough to find her. The B&B is appropriately named At the Beach With Friends because that is how you are treated from the moment you make contact with Claudia- like an old friend. The location was terrific, rooms were spacious, and it was spic and span clean. In the middle of July, we slept with our windows open enjoying the cool night air. The entire house is surrounded my huge trees, a pond, and beautiful flowers. The frogs at night was a welcome change for our vacation. Though they could be loud at times they would sing you to sleep. I found myself missing them when we left. I highly recommend At the Beach with Friends B&B. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Everything-Rooms, price, location,owners, other guests
  • Disliked — couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LCnATL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I recently stayed at this Bed and Breakfast for two nights in May 2007. The building is very tasteful and high end, with lots of woodwork and gorgeous art. The rooms are fairly high end for a B & B, but do not have air conditioning. If you stay in Waimea or above Kona at 1000 feet elevation or more, this is no problem. But in Hilo, it can get hot during the day and I noticed that the room didn't cool off until about 10 pm. The rooms look out at the vegetation and pond on the property, but you can't see the ocean.

The breakfast was very nice, and the hostess was willing to cater to the special needs of guests. There was more than enough food and fruit, and my wife really enjoyed the coffee.

One important point I would like to share with travelers considering this property is that it is overrun by non-native frogs (probably hundreds) on the property and THEY ARE DEAFING AT NIGHT! These frogs sometimes exceeded 80 decibels in their cries, and the cacophony at night (from 7:00 pm untill 4:00 am) can be unbearable if you are a light sleeper. I could hear the frogs with the windows closed and had to use earplugs to sleep. The hostess did not inform me about this in advance when I called to make reservations and explained I was a light sleeper.

On the positive, the grounds are beautifully landscaped, and the property is across the street from the Hilo bay and beaches. There are lots of picnic areas at Richardson Park. I snorkeled, but the Kona side of the island has better spots since the ocean is more turbulent around Hilo.

Overall, this is a decent place to stay, but I felt it is overpriced compared to other B & B's and also with the frog noise. I would stay in Hilo again, but look for a property near the ocean that has less frogs.

• Liked — Clean, nice breakfast
  • Disliked — Frog noise at night; hostess had lots of rules for guests, felt too structured
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElPelar
An_Innkeeper_in_Hilo, Owner/Manager at At the Beach with Friends Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 17, 2007
"Love us, love our frogs." (Motto-At the Beach with Friends B&B).

"Most people are lulled to sleep by the natural sounds of a tropical rainforest, but if you are a light sleeper please bring earplugs." (Official written recommendation by management).

Coqui frogs have spread to Oahu, Maui, the Big Island, and Kauai. Is there even a B&B or hotel in Hilo without them? Personally we love the frogs and are not afraid to admit it. They drown out city noises and eat/reduce termites and mosquitoes. I'm trying to understand how different people cope with noise. Obviously "light sleepers" still want to go on vacation. We welcome all people although we may regret the reviews of a few along the way.

This guest provided written confirmation of written disclosures about the frog noise and the recommendation that light sleepers should bring earplugs before he decided to make his reservation. We also talked about it on the phone... and yet he still decided to reserve a room here. Does he still have a right to complain? What exactly does he mean by the term- "light sleeper" and how bad is it?

Short of lumping "light sleepers" with "smokers" and formally banning them from the B&B all I can ask is that travelers "Know Thyself" (Albert Einstein's motto) and use foresight.

NOAA weather archives state that the temperature was a high of 81 degrees daytime and a low of 67 degrees at night, both days these Idaho guests were here. I call that perfect. There are large trees shading the house in the afternoon, a ceiling fan, a ceiling vent fan, the ceiling and walls are insulated, and there are three sets of windows in the suite. These guests did not ask for the portable air conditioner that was available for a surcharge. We built this house in 2000 and installed a special vent through the stucco wall for easy hook-up in each room.

As for the price, this guest and his wife stayed in the Lagoon Room for $150/night and that included breakfast for two people. I guess B&Bs in Idaho can afford to charge less. Idaho has low prices in general. In Idaho, electricity costs 15 cents per kilowatt as opposed to 33 cents per kilowatt on Hawaii Island. Milk is $1.25 for a half gallon in Idaho opposed to $4.00 on sale in Hilo. Luckily the sun, ocean, oxygen, rain, and waterfalls are free in Hilo.

Owners/managers- At the Beach with Friends B&B
369 Nene St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Yountville, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2007

My fiance (now wife) and I had planned a trip to Hilo for a little R&R and thought we might as well tie the knot while we were there. We stumbled upon At the Beach with Friends on the Internet and thought it looked interesting, so we booked three nights. When told of our plans to get married, Claudia (the proprietor) gave us the names of several ministers in the Hilo area and we were able to make our wedding arrangements ahead of time. We arrived in Hilo on a very late flight and Claudia was waiting up for us to take us to our room. Not quite knowing what to expect, we were thrilled with our accomodations... a large, well-furnished room and bath in a separate wing of the house purpose-built for guests. Spotlessly clean, fresh flowers by the bed, view of the "jungle" and pond, the whole works. After spending the following day sightseeing and exploring the beaches right across the street (we saw turtles, dolphins and whales!), we got down to the business of finalizing our wedding plans and Claudia drove us around Hilo to scout for a location. She showed us several out-of-the way beaches (her husband Scott volunteers his time to clearing beach trails in the area) and we found a very private and beautiful spot for the ceremony. After doing the deed and celebrating over dinner at a restaurant (again recommended by Claudia) the next evening, we returned to find Claudia, Scott, and the other guests had a wedding cake and champagne waiting! Needless to say, we were very sad to leave and wished we had planned on spending more time there.

We will definately return to At the Beach with Friends! Claudia and Scott are wonderful hosts. And the frogs? They were great too. Sounded like birds singing.

• Liked — Great hosts and rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mtcarey
Hanalei, Hawaii
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I first discovered Claudia's B&B in January of 2006. I had a 3 week project, and the thought of staying in yet another hotel for that amount of time was not very appealing. After doing the usual internet searches and talking with friends, A B&B was the right choice in Hilo. But where?
At the Beach with Friends was one of the choices. For me it came down to location. A place a little out of town, close to the beach, yet convienient to where I needed to be. What a great choice! The rooms are cozy and comfortable, private views of the lagoon just outside, sounds of the surf and local critters (frogs, ducks, tropical songbirds). And wonderful, customized breakfasts (tell Claudia your preferences, and she will try her best to make it happen).
Hilo is the perfect jumping off place to visit Kilauea Volcano, or Akaka Falls and the Waipio Valley, just an hour or so away. The local farmers market is not to be missed, and there are countless other things to see and do. And Claudia's B&B is the best choice to call home while you are visiting.
I have been back many times, and will continue to come back. It's just perfect. No Ka Oi, as it is said in the Hawaiian language.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank HPREngineer
kragerø
Reviewed March 13, 2007

We found Claudia on the net and immediatly decided to stay there for our 3 days visit to Hilo on Big Island. We chose Hawaii as an exicing new "stop over" on our way from New Zealand back home to Norway, and main goals was to go birding and get to the top of Mauna Kea and to see the lavaflow going into the ocean (from Kilauea) and all 3 wishes came true ! Claudia and Scotts beautiful B&B was the perfect place to stay, large room with nice bed, super bathroom, beautifully decorated lounge/breakfastroom - and the breakfast - to die for, with Claudias cooking !!
The gardens - you enter a fairy-tale world, wish we ad had more time to relax and just enjoy, but next time we will !!
Claudia also had valuable info on things to do and places to eat.
As for the frogs that some of the other reviews have mentioned: They are hillarious, my husband and I just could not stop laughing when we actually started listening to them, they seem to take part in long discussions, but the only thing they say is:
Coffee ? Coffee !! Coffee :-) Just listen if you are there.
And if you need to - just plug your ears at night and miss the fun !
Would we stay here again ? Definitely !!!

Anne & Kaare, Norway

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank juvel
The Netherlands
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We recently stayed at The Beach With Friends for six nights...and loved every minute!

The whole place breathes Aloha. You can tell that it was built with a B&B in mind. Our room was immaculate with a comfortable bed and a beautiful private bathroom (clean towels almost every day). The sounds of birds and frogs lulled us to sleep every night.

We got free access to wireless internet, the computer & printer, snorkel gear, beachtowels, binoculars, flashlights and everythings else that we never thought of bringing along.

Breakfast was a feast, with Claudia preparing something special every morning. Homemade granola, risotto, fresh fruit, muffins, cheesecake...you will have a hard time not gaining weight!
Claudia herself is great fun. We thoroughly enjoyed her stories over breakfast and her keen sense of humour.

At the Beach with Friends is more than a B&B. We felt so comfortable that I dare call it "a home away from home".

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Karim_NL
Alameda, California
Reviewed December 18, 2006

If you could see me now - - - -

Well, that’s what it felt like. With the fan slowly turning overhead, sometimes I felt like I was in a Bogart movie. Or I’d look at the bead-encrusted pillows that adorned the bed and I’d think more along the lines of ‘The Princess and the Pea’. Spoiled royalty! I like that! Either way, we truly found a delightful spot for ourselves in ‘'At the Beach with Friends’, a wonderfully tropical Bed and Breakfast in Hilo.

‘At the Beach’ is just that. It’s at the beach, across the road from Richardson Beach and the Pacific Ocean. Its entrance is on a one-lane road, very private and very tropical. There is not only an ocean view from every room but also a huge, natural koi pond the full length of the property. The house has been designed to enhance their lovely grounds and pond.

Details have been attended to, not only outside but also inside the house. Nice, airy, clean (I like clean) rooms, an extremely comfortable bed, musical instruments, books, snorkeling equipment and whatever you can think of to make the trip more fun. Everything’s there. And the house is of equal interest. It’s been beautifully designed and decorated. Make sure you check out the tile and the doors! The house was built around the doors, you know!

Claudia outdid herself when it came to her breakfasts. There was always a great assortment of goodies and something ‘specially fresh baked. We were spoiled for sure.
And my very favorite part of our stay came along right after breakfast – our morning visit over coffee with Claudia and, often, other guests who joined us. Topics were varied and lively and we learned not only about local places of interest to visit but – well, you name it, we probably discussed it!

Both Claudia and Scott were gracious hosts and we delighted in our week spent in their
lovely home in Hilo.

• Liked — The grounds on which it was located
  • Disliked — The heat (which really was taken care of by fans etc.)
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to remove shoes at door.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple