We had a wonderful experience during our stay at "At the Beach with Friends" Bed and Breakfast. Claudia is a wonderful hostess and made a delicious cooked breakfast for us and the other residents of the B&B each morning. She obviously prepares meals with love in her heart and an objective of making sure we enjoyed them. I had a special need for protien at breakfast and she accomodated that need. Breakfast is presented at 8:00AM with coffee ready by 7:30AM. Claudia woke with us at 4:30 AM on the morning of our departure and made us coffee, the night before she gave us a take away breakfast of muffins and cheese. Mahalo Claudia.
Our room was clean and prettily prepared for our visit. We thought it was a beautiful room. The linens, bathroom and room were clean. We asked for and received fresh towels each day. It rained often when we were in Hilo, March 24 to 31, 2012, many times it poured rain at night then many times cleared to beautiful sunny days. We enjoyed Hilo and very much enjoyed swimming with turtles at Carl Nelson beach park. We liked Hilo because it is not a pretentious town, with friendly people who are welcoming to visitors.
Once Claudia got done with her morning breakfast chores, she took time to visit with us and the other visitors to the B&B. She is a long time resident of the area and had lots of advice on things to do and places to visit. She also provides equipment for guest to borrow such as snorkel equipment, towels, beach chairs and more.
My husband and I were impressed with this B&B as the home was built for the purpose of being a B&B, not converted from an existing home. I was impressed with the quality of the construction of the building and the thoughtful planning that was done to assure that each room was afforded privacy and access to amenities such as private baths. Sound proofing between rooms is very good, even when all three rooms were occupied, I didn't hear any of the other occupants except for the sound of a shower running. The grounds and building are quite beautiful and is just across the road from the ocean, you can hear the waves from your room, that is if the frogs haven’t fully started singing.
This B&B doesn't have air conditioning so you will want to sleep with your windows open. That means you will either enjoy or endure the Coqui frogs noise. Prepare yourself, and take the time to make a decision about whether you’ll want to sleep, or try to sleep with this sound (click on youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ic_3uGzCE ) Claudia kindly provides ear plugs. I eventually got used to the nightly downpours and frog songs. I even began to recognize individual frogs.
Here’s information on the Coqui frogs from the Star Bulletin “Linda Stevens has them in her yard in Leilani Estates, south of Hilo. "Either you get used to it or you go insane," she said. U.S. Department of Agriculture biologist Earl Campbell is working at a field station in Hilo to control them. "On a good night, it's just deafening," he said. … The really noisy Eleutherodactylus coqui is up to 2 inches long and hails from Puerto Rico. It puts out ear-splitting, 100-decibel squeaks -- about as loud as a table saw cutting wood.”
I've stayed at several bed and breakfasts and prefer them to a hotel. The experience of staying in a family environment is one that I treasure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private guest wing on a salt water lagoon across from Hilo's favorite swimming beaches. Luxury ocean view accommodations for $160-$180 king beds, ensuite baths, free WiFi, flat screen TVs, common sitting room/lounge area, games, books, & hot buffet breakfast. Small refrigerators in room and tea service available in common room. Triple room available. Beach towels, folding chairs,coolers flashlights and umbrellas on hand. $10/night discount off base price for five nights or more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your At the Beach with Friends Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- At The Beach With Friends Hotel Hilo
- At The Beach With Friends Bed And Breakfast
- At The Beach With Friends Bed & Breakfast Hilo, Hawaii