“Racism/favortism at Zippys Hilo!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Zippy's
Ranked #105 of 237 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Hawaiian, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
keaau
“Racism/favortism at Zippys Hilo!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

First meal here with the wife and kids. Got and signed in and waited to be seated. Several minutes later a party of six walks in and signs in. Ok it's Sunday and it's slow. We notice that Gladys our sign in person is friends with the party of six. We waited longer and then Gladys seats her friends before us!!!!!outrageous she should be fired!! After bringing this up with the manager we were then seated. Overall, this was a negative experience that will no doubt continue on Gladys shift.
The food as usual was good and our waitress was great , she made an effort to make things right. However, I will avoid the restaurant and just order at he take out counter to avoid this uncomfortable situation of favoritism or racism again!!

• Visited September 2013
11 Thank food000

Pahoa, Hawaii, United States
“Walked out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I had been looking forward to visiting the new Zippy's on the Big island. On Friday, August 30th we were in the mall and wanted to have dinner before continuing our shopping. Just before 5pm we walked down to the food court to try Zippy's. The woman at the first reception desk was pleasant and asked if we wanted to eat. We said yes and she led us halfway through the restaurant to a secondary station. There were two waitstaff talking, a man and a woman, the woman whose name was Justice, turned around and asked if we wanted a booth. There were several open tables and booths available but she asked us to wait while she cleaned one. We sat down on a bench for a while and the gentleman asked if we would like to see the menus. We read the menus and waited several minutes. Then I notice a booth a few feet away where Justice was standing with another waitress talking to the occupants who were obviously friends of theirs. The gentleman went over to her and mentioned that we were still waiting to sit down at our booth. She came over and showed us to the booth and walked away. We waited, and waited, and waited and waited some more and nobody ever came back to us. I looked around the restaurant for her. My husband mentioned that they must not serve customers water anymore since we had been there for so long without any being offered. I looked at other table and pointed out that other customers did have water. We decided wait another 30 seconds by counting slowly out loud. After this, still no service. He was particularly hungry and we decided to leave. As I walked out I told the hostess at the food court entrance why we were leaving. We walked over to Maui Taco which I had never been to before and had a very nice dinner at half the price we would have spent at Zippy's. If you have hours to spend and don't mind chasing down your waitress, then Zippy's is the place for you.

Visited September 2013