Open today: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM

from $167.10
from $114.58
from $225.00
More Info
All reviews the big island national park private tour personal tour wonderful tour small group his knowledge orchid farm comfortable van rainbow falls volcano adventure small van great guide lava tube chocolate factory cruise ship black sand beach
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were a group of 15 family members aged 11 to 80 sailing on Norwegian's Pride of America. We thoroughly enjoyed the tours in both Hilo (full day) and Kona (half-day) and would use Mauka Makai again if we came back. Tour guides were exceptional guides and safe drivers. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and time spent with Jill. She was professional, knowledgeable and a pleasure to spend the day with. From black sand beach to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and experiencing steam vents, walking thru rainforest and walking on lava flows it’s a tour you should not miss. Lunch supplied was good, the van was cool and comfortable. We also stopped at Island Candies for chocolate and coffee tasting. Wonderful day in Hilo!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We loved our tour with Josh, he collected us from the Pride of America and we spent a fabulous day touring the Island with 5 other people. I booked this trip last minute via TripAdvisor as I wasn’t sure about renting a car and I’m so glad we did this trip rather than our own Self-guided one. We learnt so much about the area, loved our visit to the Volcano National Park (pouring with rain but it was fine!) the waterfalls were pretty and we loved seeing the turtles on the beach. It was so so tempting to take some volcanic rock home but we respected the rules (and the gods) and left it there!! Lunch was so delicious. We weren’t really bothered about the orchid farm or chocolate shop but it was a nice end to a really fabulous day. Take warmer clothes for the volcano area - we did need them on. This is a fabulous shore excursion and good value. The van was comfy and there was plenty of room.

Reviewed July 12, 2019

Jill was fantastic. She was very nice and considerate of each group's time and interests. The other group on the tour needed to leave earlier to catch their flight, so we went to drop off the group and Jill still took us on our last stop before returning us to the airport as well in sufficient time. She knew the area like the back of her hand. Although I was looking forward to seeing some lava on this tour, I had a terrific time exploring Big Island and the volcano. Jill was very knowledgeable of the island and its history as well as the scientific aspects of the volcano eruption and aftermath. I would highly recommend her if you're thinking about touring Hilo.

Reviewed July 3, 2019

My family had a great time on this tour. From sea turtles, to volcano, and candies, everyone made memories to last a lifetime. Jill was such a sweet tour guide, answering our questions and telling us the stories and history of the island. I would highly recommend them and hope to be back someday soon!

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed June 24, 2019

Jill was an excellent and informative host. She made us feel like family. I would recommend Mauka Makai Adventures to all my friends and family.

Date of experience: June 2019