“not local Japanese food”
Review of Sunlight Cafe

Sunlight Cafe
Ranked #146 of 250 Restaurants in Hilo
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

it was my first time eating here, so I had some expectations. ordered the tonkatsu and misoyaki butterfish combo. it came with miso soup. the fish was covered in sauce and boiled. it was heavily covered in sauce and there were many bones in the fish. the tonkatsu was nicely fried, but the dipping sauce had a fishy and strong taste. My mom ordered the ramen with teriyaki chicken. the broth had no taste, and the chicken tasted like chat siu. I don't think it should be called Japanese cuisine... it's more like Thai or Vietnamese food because of the sauces they use. I didn't like it, nor would I go back.

1  Thank kdooka

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

For a place called Sunlight, it was a dark and classy restauarnt inside a strip mall. I was pleasantly surprised by the ambiance. We were seated immediately and have our orders very quickly after.

The food - a mushroom burger w fries and a grilled ham and cheese w a salad - arrived just as we ordered. It was simple and tasty. They did a good job with presentation.

Service was professional and efficient. We were in and out on a Satirday within 30 minutes which was great since we were heading to the airport.

1  Thank breoni
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The atmosphere is dark, sultry and yet casual & clean. Service is by one shy no nonsense woman who brings to your table a perfect portion of delicious meals in stylish presentation and in a efficient timely manner. All the dishes are great. Some of my favorites are the Salt and Pepper Pork Chops, Teriyaki Chicken and Beef Teriyaki. I went there today for lunch as I do several times a month. Never leaving disapppointed.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

First impression.....wonderful ambiance for a little restaurant but very welcoming! Outside by the door is a menu for you to review. (Dinner)

Pros...elegant yet casual dress fits for the restaurant. Small restaurant so you don't have to worry about much chatter noise. 40 person capacity. Child friendly menu and a variety as well. Now the most important part, price, taste, and the 2 Q's "quality & quantity"

Food came out quickly yet with no rush. Most expensive item on the menu $28.99! Taste we had a starter salad that came with the meal choice which was fresh greens and good dressing! Next we ordered the skewer sampler which was mouth watering and bursting with the right amount of flavor! Main course....I had the Lamb med-rare with pasta....for you Lamb lovers this dish is a MUST! it comes with a citron honey glaze to die for!!!!!! I wanted to lick my plate! The best Lamb in hilo town! My husband had the Japanese curry with chicken which was also mouth watering! The flavors they put together are authentic and homemade! Lastly dessert .....their haupia pudding is decadent so light and yummy...never had anything like it. Also the Brownie sundae......make sure you save some room portions are very generous! Now the 2 Q's .....A+ 100% for both! We are yet to try everything else on the menu!

Cons.....because its a mom and paps family owned there is only one waitress but to be honest she was on it with everything in a half full setting. I don't really have any cons at this point being the first time here....:)

I really can't wait to return....check this place out and I hope you have a fantastic time like we had! Check out my pictures of our dishes as well!

1  Thank mamaral808
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I have probably eaten there eight times so far and it's always great. Wonderful Japanese family operated establishment with great service and fantastic food.