“My new favorite restaurant!!! Hilo's hidden gem!”
Review of Sunlight Cafe

Sunlight Cafe
Ranked #127 of 243 Restaurants in Hilo
“My new favorite restaurant!!! Hilo's hidden gem!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

First impression.....wonderful ambiance for a little restaurant but very welcoming! Outside by the door is a menu for you to review. (Dinner)

Pros...elegant yet casual dress fits for the restaurant. Small restaurant so you don't have to worry about much chatter noise. 40 person capacity. Child friendly menu and a variety as well. Now the most important part, price, taste, and the 2 Q's "quality & quantity"

Food came out quickly yet with no rush. Most expensive item on the menu $28.99! Taste we had a starter salad that came with the meal choice which was fresh greens and good dressing! Next we ordered the skewer sampler which was mouth watering and bursting with the right amount of flavor! Main course....I had the Lamb med-rare with pasta....for you Lamb lovers this dish is a MUST! it comes with a citron honey glaze to die for!!!!!! I wanted to lick my plate! The best Lamb in hilo town! My husband had the Japanese curry with chicken which was also mouth watering! The flavors they put together are authentic and homemade! Lastly dessert .....their haupia pudding is decadent so light and yummy...never had anything like it. Also the Brownie sundae......make sure you save some room portions are very generous! Now the 2 Q's .....A+ 100% for both! We are yet to try everything else on the menu!

Cons.....because its a mom and paps family owned there is only one waitress but to be honest she was on it with everything in a half full setting. I don't really have any cons at this point being the first time here....:)

I really can't wait to return....check this place out and I hope you have a fantastic time like we had! Check out my pictures of our dishes as well!

1 Thank mamaral808

Athol
“Really great little Japanese Cafe”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I have probably eaten there eight times so far and it's always great. Wonderful Japanese family operated establishment with great service and fantastic food.

Visited October 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
“Excellent for the price and for Hilo”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

One of our favorite places to eat in Hilo. Family run. Always really good service. Hot food is served hot, and cold food is served cold. Great ramen, teishoku, burgers, steak, seafood. And there's more variety on the menu. It's a great small restaurant that's very clean with really good food for the price. We recommend this restaurant highly.

• Visited June 2012
Hawaii
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Looks to be a family run restaurant with a very good selection on the menu. When I asked the waitress how long they were here, she said since 1998, but its been upgraded maybe 5 years now. Very nice decor, clean, reasonable prices and the food was very good as well.

Chris310
“Great food for a reasonable price”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of this resturant. It was very romatic. The place is a bit small but it offers a great selection of american and japanese food. The Appetizers starts from $5+ but they are really good. The menu has a great selection also, from seafood to new york steak and many others. The meals start from $13+ but it depends on what you want to eat....Great seafood meals=)..Very clean resturant