“Easy walk from Naniloa Hotel”

Verna's III Drive Inn
Ranked #38 of 243 Restaurants in Hilo
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
BabyBoomer56
“Easy walk from Naniloa Hotel”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is my first visit to Verna's and I ordered the LauLau/rice/mac salad. The lau lau meat was dry and I wouldn't recommend it. Probably microwaved and not steamed. I've tasted much better at Young's on Oahu and that's some stiff competition. Husband didn't complain about his loco moco and I thought it was very good. Given the chance, I would go back to try their famous burgers.

Visited October 2011

Mesa, Arizona
“Best Fast Food In Hilo!”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I came to Hilo in 2010 and ate at Verna's. On my to do list for my return was to eat at Verna's again. I had a combo plate with spam, crab and streak. It was served with noodles and had a side of mac salad. Yummy yummy!!!! The price is right and the service is great!!

• Visited November 2011
Isssaquah, WA
“Decent food and great interaction with the locals.”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The food was good, but it was nice to go to a place where the locals eat and are very nice. Great hangout.

Visited October 2011
Honolulu, Hi
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Born and raised in Hilo, I was so looking forward to a good old-fashioned plate lunch. I've been to just about all of them in Hilo, L & L, Blaine's, Koji's, Hiro's, K's, and all the okazuya places. There are so many better options.

I ordered a chicken katsu and a friend of mine had the teri beef. My chicken smelled - I don't how else to put it, but it smelled, well . . . like chicken, except it was a really strong smell. The actual chicken meat, which is usually white at other places, was dark with a pinkish hue to it. The outside breading looked fine - golden brown, but the actual chicken meat did not look right.

My friend's teri beef was too salty for our taste, and we're both plate-lunch eaters so we're no strangers to salt.

It was take-out, so no use complaining. The time and gas to back would not be worth it. Disappointing as Hilo has some of the best local food in the state.

1 Thank hiloboy
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good local food, Friday...”
Reviewed February 1, 2008