“Great unique flavors”

Ranked #21 of 246 Restaurants in Hilo
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stopped here for lunch and watched all the cruise folks wonder the town. We ordered the pita sandwiches which were very tasty and good side salad. The price was very reasonable. The staff was very efficient. Yes it was a bit cramped but we still had a very pleasant experience. If you are interested in their specials, it sounds like they are very popular (curry and lamb that day) and go quickly. Parking seemed fairly convenient right in front of restaurant on the day we were there.

1  Thank JanetScottB
There are newer reviews for Puka Puka Kitchen

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Yes it is small hole in the wall. But of a small place it has great food I had the ahi don and my wife had bbq chicken. Plates came with toss salad and the great garilc rice. And yes it was worth the wait for a table. Yes you must come early for the bento and yes can carry out order. Did I say great garlic rice.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

In the midst of our 2 week vacation, we were getting bored with the tourist cusine. This place was just like eating at home. I had falafel...perfect. My husband had chicken and nearly licked his plate clean. We are considering staying in Hilo on our next trip just so we can eat here more frequently. It was also our least expensive meal of the entire trip. And excellent, friendly service, too.

1  Thank Marilyn B
Reviewed November 22, 2013

When my girlfriend and I were in Hilo, we were walking along Kamehameha Ave, the main street, and found this little gem. Actually the lady at the car rental place had mentioned it to us, but we really weren't looking for it. When we went inside, it was very small and smelled of home cooking. We were lucky enough to get one of the few tables and the waitress took our order right away. I had coconut shrimp and my girlfriend had the oysters. They were both delicious. We would definitely recommend this little hole in the wall for a great lunch eating experience.

1  Thank BobBellingham
Reviewed November 21, 2013

When the Eateries close in the late afternoon, Buy one of the BENTO ( plastic food box on the counter ) 2 take back. Discovered the PUKA BENTO by accident. & @ 2:30 PM if any bentos left 4 sale...only HALF PRICE...What a GREAT BARGAIN...Puka deserves the patronage. One of the better bentos in town, & yes THE HOSTESS / SERVER does have the most aloha. DISCOUNTED BENTOS FOUND @ KTA AFTER 2:50 PM ( usually OVER COOKED DELI MEAT ) &
SACK N SAVE ( BF) & DINNER @ 8 PM. FRESHER ones @ S/S IN THE evening, Sometimes with TOO MUCH WHITE RICE ( VERY BAD )=SELLING rice for $4. S/S BETTER OFF buying leftover HOT DELI ITEMS individually. places LISTED inside
HILO DOWNTOWN. PUKA CLOSES @ 2:30 PM, KTA @ 9 PM, S/S @ 11 PM. CASH @ PUKA..