“Really good local Japanese food”
Review of Miyo's

Miyo's
Ranked #32 of 247 Restaurants in Hilo
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

In the last two days, we have eaten dinner and lunch at Miyo's at their new location. The service was very friendly although it was a little harried at dinner due to a big crowd. The food is really good. I had grilled Hamachi with sautéed eggplants, salad and rice and my husband had a bento box with tempura and broiled Saba. We went back for lunch today and I had a bento box lunch with grilled Saba, a cold tofu salad with seaweed and shrimp and vegetable tempura. Everything was delicious. They don't serve alcohol so you may bring your own.
The new location isn't as picturesque but it seats more people and is a light, comfortable space. There is plenty of parking. I would make a reservation for dinner because it is very popular.

1  Thank Lydiaco

Reviewed April 14, 2013

New location, same bad service. The staff almost seems inconvenienced to help you. Be prepared to wait and wait, even though there is about ten cooks in the open kitchen. The tempura was not crispy but oily and the dipping sauce was not flavorful. The sesame chicken had a tasty sauce but was over cooked, same with the pork tonkatsu. The portions were small for the guys who ordered the three choice bento boxes. The waitress never re-filled our water. Would have liked hot tea with the meal.

2  Thank Erin E
Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time eating at Miyos was a very good experience. Friendly staff and good affordable Japanese food. My wife had the tempura and teriyaki chicken combination. I had the tempura and sashimi combination. Both included rice, a very fresh salad with a nice light dressing, miso soup, and hot tea. All delicious. I was most impressed with the freshness of the sashimi and vegetables. I suggest reservations just in case it gets crowded. We were there during the annual Merry Monarch hula competition which may have accounted for the large number of people eating there. But with food so good, it could be the norm. And that was for lunch. I imagine more people eat there at night. Very comfortable eating environment for small or large number of diners. Located across the street from Big Island Candy Company.

1  Thank Edward H
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food quality is excellent and the dishes are reasonably priced. The restaurant is very popular with locals and visitors so reservations are recommended. They currently do not have a liquor license so, if you like to partake in a drink or two, it's okay to bring your own.

2  Thank damookie
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm really surprised at some of the comments. We dined in on 3 different occasions, 1 of them being Valentines eve, and each time we dined there, we had excellent service and enjoyed a very delicious dinner! On Valentines eve, we "popped" in and was asked if we had reservations. Of course we didn't, but they asked us if we would mind sitting on the outside. Which we didn't mind. So they seated us outside, and the service was just as fast, and just as good as if we were seated inside. Our waitress was very good in checking in on us to see if we wanted more tea (light green tea perfectly steeped) because it was a little chilly outside. The food was just as I expected from a fine dining Japanese restaurant. Miyo's has become one of our favorite places to eat.

1  Thank Volcano F